• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2020 Plastic Surgeons

"Delivery Day" was a rousing success! Jamie got his 1/25 decals for his Uncle's "Heartbreaker" 1972 Chevy pullin' truck model, I delivered Dave's model airplanes, but he wasn't home.
Way back in 2015 when The Dixie Flyer ran, George, our club treasurer made me a pile of mix CD's for the road. Teresa brought a box full of CD-R's & jewel cases home so we delivered a bunch of those to George.
On a cheery note, Plastic Surgeons club treasurer George also tells me that we "broke even" on the 2020 Model Show we cancelled.
No profit, but also no monetary loss either! Good News is ALWAYS welcome! Even when it is sorta silly!

Last Thursday's zoom meeting had up to 7 visitors. Our Moonpuppy dipped out early, but 6 other members shared models and commentary for 90 minutes or so. It isn't as satisfying as an actual meeting. It's OK for now.

The 2020 Chuck Sterns award for outstanding classic model building has been delivered as well. I am pleased to honor Frank Miller with this presentation, IN PERSON, over hot, juicy burgers and tasty fries. Teresa and Frank's wife had a nice chat while "Colonel Miller" and I discussed all things Model Airplane (A Super Stallion with bright lights and water cannons for suppressing riots at low level) and other pressing topics. Also included in the box was 6 CD's of "Music to irritate your wife with", a Huey themed tee-shirt, and a stow-away 1/35 Knight from the Crusades.

I decided last year that my Chuck award should be more in line with our Plastic Surgeons awards. I felt like I was maybe up-staging the Club awards with my grandiose Eagle trophies. This trophy is more modest. The sentiment remains the same.

Anyone following Frank's builds on M/A can clearly see why his models stood out from the other candidates, in my humble opinion.
He seemed pleased.
Yes, Fellow model maniacs, I am informed the Music did, in fact, irritate his Wife. A combination of Dos Gringos, Dick Jonas' collection of Vietnam era songs, featuring such talents as Irv Levine, Chip Dockery and Toby Hughes and some good, old Bull Durham tunes too. Another successful Affenbumsen operation.

IMG_E6945.JPG

Thank you every one.
I was very humbled to receive this award. Thank you Chris.
It is always an honor when I receive a special award.
The music is great to build by.
I have added them to my phone play list.
Next in line, after I clear up a few items, is a MACH 2 King Air UC-12R/T.
Again, THANK YOU Chris.

When I see excellence in classic model building, I feel it should be appreciated. I am honored to reward such excellence in Chuck Sterns' name. I do not think Frank is the only Man that builds the models of the simpler, more verdant and peaceful Era. With every modeling event around the Globe cancelled in "The Suck" that 2020 has become, his talents and skills are most readily apparent. That, and I don't believe model contest judges appreciate the minutia he scrounges up, solders, modifies or installs on almost every model he builds.

Another modeler had a shot at the Chuck award for his 1/72 Monogram snap-tite early B-26 Marauder, in RAF markings.

Given the glacial pace I build at, especially of late, I take a little comfort in the knowledge that this year is the 40th anniversary of the start of Frank's Vac-form 1/72 C-141 Lockheed Starlifter model kit. There is a rumor of a second (YGBSM!) 1/72 Monogram B-36 Peacemaker model, as an RB-36J (??) XF-85 Goblin parasite fighter carrier. Imagination knows NO bounds!
Like this!
Stay tuned, My Friends! More model lunacy is afoot!! :bang head:ro:

That is awesome Rhino! Yeah, I also have a 1/72 scale vac-formed C-141 but as I have no idea how to build that beastie; it is still sitting in my stash. I just wish someone would bring that and the Galaxy in 1/72 scale injected plastic! If they can do an An-124; then a Galaxy is eminently possible!

Have no Fear Mark, that's the Starlifter kit Frank has been diligently laboring on for a hair over 40 years. It CAN be Built!

Tonight's Plastic Surgeon Zoom meeting included such Club stalwarts as Greg Metge, Francisco Melendez, Bob Maloy, Nate and Ty Stevens, George Stevens, Joe Lotz, Randy Fields of IPMS Fort Crook in Omaha, and as a special guest, by invitation, David Angelo, proprietor of Loose Cannon West, based on Luzon in the P.I. It was 0730 on Friday for David when the meeting began. (I forgot to ask him for the Powerball numbers. BFA!!)

David showcased his new 1/700 release, USS Tangier in Her 1941 fit, and USS Luzon, a converted Liberty ship. We also saw LCW's 1/700 USS Shenandoah, ZR-1 Airship moored to USS Patoka's mast. Really a treat! David will start selling his 1/700 resin ship model kits again when shipping options return to a more reasonable price point.
We're enjoying our Happy Hour here, while David sips tomorrow's morning's coffee. Kinda cool!

Modeling, meetings and upcoming shows were discussed and a fine time was had by all. IPMS Fort Crook has returned to "In Person" meetings, Their 2021 Show is scheduled for June. Our April, 2021 contest date is still undecided.
Greg shared his 1/35 StuG 105mm diorama. Joe's 1/35 Conqueror and LeClerc armor models and his finished Bandai AT-ST Walker were featured. Bob showed us his 1/72 Dragon Models /Grumman F6F-5N Hellcat (First airplane model since He was 14!) He didn't chop it or lower the Hellcat at all! Neet-O!

An impromptu tour of Nate Stevens myriad, intricate, completed 1/72 Aircraft Models and a view of his generous stash was included. Young Ty showed us his War-toons Sherman and Tiger I tank models. He built them at school. Clever Ty!!

Even Mrs. Melendez peeked in to see Nate's stash. I'm sure Nate got Francisco off the hook for his own modest collection!
I dipped out a little early so I could finish making chicken & noodles for my Sweetie's supper.
I was heartened by increased club attendance.
I look forward very much to seeing our membership in person in the near future!

We have a few members that do not wish to use Zoom. Nobody is forced to visit on-line. NO stigma is put against members that don't Zoom. As a person and a modeler, I like to know the faces of the people I buy from. One day, when model shows cease being cancelled, I will see them in person. I will call them "Friend". No so very unlike our Band of Brothers here on M/A.
It's my experience that model makers and modelers are similar sorts of people.
Thanks for looking in!

In the name of Model Fun, I have embarked on a program of inviting the modeling industries "Guest Stars" to our Zoom meetings.
Next one is 15 October 2020. I was thrilled to see David from the P.I.
Stay tuned for more developments as this continuing Story unfolds!
We Few. We happy few. We Plastic Surgeons!
:yipee::Drinks::ro::bang head

As this gripping story unfolds, it turns out my next 2 "guest stars" declined my invitation to Zoom with us last Thursday night.
Hirokuni Matsugu of HLJ declined, not being the contest support and sample department contact person any further. (The person you ask for free stuff for your model contest)
Epoch Models proprietor, Greg Tost chooses not to Zoom. So much for my grand idea. :bm:

Seven IPMS Plastic Surgeons enjoyed the (sort of) meeting as much as possible. Joe finished his Tamiya 1/35 Leclerc tank and displayed his British Conqueror as well. He's working on Eduard's 1/48 Bf-108 Taifun (pronounced "Typhoon") and a Dragon 1/72 Panzer III-F.
Nate Stevens took us on a tour of his newest projects including a 1/72 Horsa "Airshow" Glider with perfect D-day stripes and his Japanese and British twin engine airplane models.

Nate and I stayed on until 2300 swapping ideas for our pair of 1/720 DKM '46 aircraft carrier models. (I found 1/700 P-67A Moonbat night fighters to defend my 3D printed B-32 Dominators from German Navy jet night fighters) and I showed a few of our members the Ocean Ambush camo on the 1/72 Horrible Heinkel.

"It's been a quiet week at Lake Woebegone, my Home town, out on the edge of the prairie. Where all the women are strong, The men are good-looking and all the children are above average."

Sorry I missed this meeting Chris. I guess the virtual model groups just ain't catching on yet.

Upcoming Zoom meeting will include one "Guest Star". Mark Karolus, a ship model reviewer from FSM thinks he will join. I invited Mark Tutton, proprietor of Starfighter Decals to join us as well. He made all the decals for TLAR Models USCG subjects.

Back