• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2020 Plastic Surgeons

29 August Zoom meeting update.
A Model Show is afoot!
Hobbytown USA sponsors an on-line contest this time of year. Dave and Mary Bos of Hobbytown USA, Ankeny have a more personal idea! The Show is scheduled for 12 Dec. Dropping off your models from 1000to 1200 for judging. Categories are the same as last year. Aircraft, Automotive, Armor, Ships, Gundam, Radio Control and Figures.
You may pick up your judged entries after 1500 hrs. As a retailer, Dave wants to keep true to recommendations for (Anti) social distancing , so only 40 people including His staff will be allowed in the store at a time. Winners will be posted to Hobbytown USA's national webpage for review and additional awards. Last year an Ankeny Gundam vignette won First Prize in the national judging. The Bos' gift-card prizes last year were quite generous! At this time there aren't any plans for a raffle.
Obviously, a model show sponsored by a hobbyshop probably won't invite any outside vendors. (Unless the Vendors are OUTSIDE!) Very exciting news for these Dark Times, don't you agree?!

In other news, 8 People Zoomed In last Thursday, Francisco continues to sponsor the Zoom meeting at his own expense. Including myself, Mike, Joe, Nate, Jamie, Dave Bos and "Guest Star" Mark Karolus. Nate's wife, Sara (Not Ginger!) popped in and my Teresa was about as well. Joe and Mark compared classic ship model kits they had on hand. Even on Zoom, a Man could smell the Turds! Plastic Surgeons Club President, Barry Rolow joined us in a rare appearance! YAY!!

In model building news,
Jamie is working on a 1/24 1932 Imperial. Nifty looking luxury sedan with a soft top.
Joe found the missing forward gun house for his Dragon 1/700 Z-32 DKM Destroyer full-hull kit and is going forward with Her. It looks like a pretty good kit.

I bought a Warlord Games 1/700 USS Constitution from the Black Seas gaming series. The one piece resin hull and main deck are exquisitely cast, no bubbles of sink marks! She is cast cleared for action and ready for a fight! Deck planking, capstan and cannons details seem a bit chunky. Masts. yards, and ships boats are white metal, with paper printed battle sails, flags and pennants. Mast ratlines are printed on clear acetate and a roll of rigging thread is included. A dandy value for around $30.00. I lacked the ability to continue Life without the only available "Old Ironsides" in my favorite scale.
Work progresses on the masters for CSS Arkansas, CSS Alabama, CSS Florida, USS Carondelet and the gun tubs for DKM Graf Zeppelin.

About this meeting's Guest Star:
Mark is a long time model builder, usually building ship models. He served in the US Coast Guard, and was a Fireman and Paramedic in Manitowoc, Wisconasin area. His other job used to be reviewing models ship kits for Fine Scale Models magazine. He used to work at the place that made the Tomahawk/ Harpoon missile tube inserts to convert Ohio Class SSBN's to the SSGN configuration. A talented, methodical modeler and a great guy! I call Mark "Friend". These days he volunteers at the Wisconasin Maritime Museum, where the WWII Era Gato class US Navy submarine, USS Cobia, is on display. Mark also does other jobs for the Museum, one of which is repairing the models of Great Lakes maritime history as well.

Mark, Nate Stevens and I stretched the Zoom meeting after everyone else went to bed. We had quite a time for ourselves.

I tried to Mr. T, but I'm not allowed to PM with Terry on the site. PM me if you would like to join what model fun came be shared on-line until real meetings resume! If we could get 9 people in a Zoom meeting, we could play Hollywood Squares!

Thanks for looking in!

I tried to Mr. T, but I'm not allowed to PM with Terry on the site.
This is the second time i've heard this.
You guys don't have this option on all users?
1604167736724.png

Well, I got a PM recently from Rhino so it does work. I have sent one to a couple people myself without any hassles.

12 November 2020 Surgeon's Zoom meeting update:
The evening began innocently enough. 5 guys bantering about goings on across our Great Nation, a few quips about modeling. Francisco, Greg from Florida, Joe, George (no camera), Kevin, Jamie, Rodney (for his first Zoom visit), Nate and his Dodge enthusiast buddy, Munkiesmuck and myself.

Guest Star Mark Karolus returned for his second appearance. Evidently our jocularity as a Group wasn't to much for my Wisconasin Friend! (I learned the proper pronunciation of Mark's last name after all this time!) His newest project is the 1/330 Glencoe Blimp Kit for the Christmas centerpiece for his local club gathering. His lighted and decorated Lindberg Christmas Nantucket Lightship model was featured as well. Santa can't carry ALL the presents at once (I think Tim Allen, Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn might disagree.) so he needs reloading and refueling vessels along his track. Very festive and bright.

We asked Mark how to properly pronounce "Gato Class". I figure he knows. He "owns" one! We agreed it is pronounced "Balao" and left it at that. The possibility of a Plastic Surgeons sleep-over aboard USS Cobia has begun to be explored. Mostly because I just started thinking about such a thing.
Nate: "Will there be beer?!"
Mark: "No. No Beer."
Rhino: "Silly Nathan! When you go to Wisconasin, you bring wine and liquor!!"

No vessel in the immediate area of the Wisconasin Maritime Museum would be safe from gun action or torpedo attack on such an occasion. I'm considering inviting Kelsey Grammer and Lauren Holly to help liven up :lol: the sleep-over! HEY! Who has more recent command experience of a Gato or Balao-class Boat?

Modeler's Alliance' own Duck Maddog joined us from sunny/smoky California and wowed non-M/A Plastic Surgeons members with his hobby room and grand volume of completed 1/72 Model kits. Judging from The Duke's ceiling, ATC in his part of California is chaotic!

From IPMS Fort Crook in Omaha, Randy Fields dropped by to chat. His Club is back to actual see your friends in person meetings and their 2021 model show will be in June of next year. Randy shared some pictures of his T-55 and Tiger 1 models and his model room. Randy is a precise, award winning 1/48 Aircraft Modeler. I am deeply concerned about the state of his mental health. :yipee:

At one time, we had 11 Zoom "squares" at once! Hollywood Squares, Plus 2! Francisco made me the Zoom host around 8:45 and things just "Went off the Reservation" after that. As the pyramid grew at Nate and (Dave) Munkiesmuck's place, Maddog & Nathan began a conversation about 1/72 Armor. I had quite a Veteran's Day celebration the previous night for myself, so I moderated my adult beverage intake. I learned that Rodney makes a serene, focused face while he models. We hadn't seen Rod in a long while! He looks thinner on camera. HE DOES!!

The Meeting went on until 11:52 with Nathan, Dave, Maddog, Mark, Rodney and myself jabbering on and enjoying the ambience of like minded model maniacs in the only social setting we can muster these days.

My thanks to everyone that shared the fun and my "PFFFFGHT!!!" to those that choose not to!!

Yeah, that meeting was a blast! Had a load of fun! It was quite thrilling to show off my Hobby Room too. It is so rare I can show that off.

Man, I'd love to join a sleepover in a sub! That would be a blast! I've always wanted to do something like that.

OK Men! This is a "Thing"! My query to Mrs. Diaz of the Wisconasin Maritime Museum responds:

Thanks for the message. Any friend of Mark's is a friend of mine!

Yes, you can book the submarine. It's $500 for the first five people and then $50 a person after that. You can book the sub here. If the platform gives you any trouble, just give me a shout and I can work with you to make it happen.

I trust that the museum and sub will be completely safe in your hands. Unless you decide to take it out for a drive...

Abbie

--
Abigail Diaz, ADAC
Director of Education & Public Programs
she/her/hers

Wisconsin Maritime Museum
75 Maritime Drive
Manitowoc, WI 54220

My response:
"Unless you decide to take it out for a drive.." Hmm. Now the gears of creativity are beginning to turn.............
Prithee, how many more greenbacks would it cost for the storied USS Cobia to get underway, on the surface only of course,
with a scratch crew of steely-eyed, deadly, Iowegian privateers and tourists, I wunda?

Imagine the advertising, social media and YouTube exposure that such a voyage might bring to the Museum. In the financial sense as well, of course. I'm ABSOLUTELY certain Kelsey Grammer would find time in his schedule to stand a watch.

In any case, my thanks for your affable, speedy response. I will do my best to sell this idea to our friends, members and people we like by next April. You can bet I will watch "Run Silent, Run Deep", "Down Periscope" and "Ice Station Zebra" a few more times before our visit.

Not just historically significant, but also a fine value for the dollar! Where else in the Milwaukee/Manitowoc, WI area can say, 12 (or up to 65!!) Model Maniacs find a overnight lodging for less than $100.00 each?!? Not to mention your Mark 13 torpedo bunkmates!!

Then, The next day, A two hour cruise on Lake Michigan aboard................
https://www.discoveryworld.org/things-to-do/exhibits/sailing-vessel-denis-sullivan/

Now to find a bus for us all to ride in comfort and safety to and from Mark's Submarine!

--
c):{)

That's a super deal, wish it wasn't so far for me. I've seen the movies of the bunks on those things, I think I'd have to buy two or the guy on top of me would have some extra padding. :bigrin:

After a month's sabatical, The Surgeon Zoomers were at it again! 8 attendees at one point. Kevin Nelson tried, but seems to be struggling with wifi issues. He jus' VANISH! Francisco, Bob, Greg, Moonpup, Mark Karolus (his wife Donna popped in for a second to say Hi), Nate the Magnificent, Joachim, and myself joined the fun. Teresa said Hey too!

We Talked about models, our ouwies that come with age, Joachim explained the difference in price an quality between Fruil Model metal tracks and Masterclub (I think?) cast resin tracks with resin link pins. Nate showed off his new Airfix 1/72 RAF Whitley. I chided him about having posed the flaps down even thought that is my favorite poseable control surface. I did my first Zoom screen share ever, with pictures of 1/700 TLAR projects. The most recent is the Canadian schooner Bluenose.

Mark showcased his new 1/330 Glencoe Blimp centerpiece for a local Christmas celebration. From the archives came his Meng Kids B-17G Flying Fortress carpet bombing with presents! Both are decorated and have the season appropriate lighting.
Bob Maloy shared his new Low Rider 1950 Ford model. It's looking pretty low & smooth! We wondered about 1/25 scale resin decal louvers for cars. (No, I'm not trying to make any.) Archer Fine Details, jump in here anytime!

It seems the Hobbytown USA model show in Ankeny is mired in CCV complications. I wonder to myself, How complex does it need to be? No awards ceremony. Almost no registration line. No raffle to attend to. Hobbytown judging may or may not have anything to do with IPMS guidelines. "Pretty wins" or the time honored "I like this one the best" method that our Ray prefers?

The Governor's latest CCV precautions extended here on the soggy prairie until 16 December. I can't imagine doing the Governor's job about such a thing. Trying to do what is wise and correct with so much conflicting truth. There seem to be NO right answers. So many confusing facts!!

If contestants share the same CCV viewpoint as many Iowans do, there probably won't be many entrants either. Combat veterans that do not fear The Virus and R/C guys that play outside all the time? I advise the same as Grandma Wamsher did. "Don't borrow worry." Teresa and I are committed elsewhere this Saturday. The weather guesser predicts our first winter williwaw starting tonight. Look out for the Bumble Snow Monster of the North!!

A USS COBIA sleep-over update was also offered. Mark says that Cobia has one diesel engine that is opened up, so you can see all the WWII Magic-Wizard stuff that Fairbanks-Morse made. We know one engine operates by air start, since it was featured in a video the first time it was started in 2016 and we know the Cobia's torpedo tubes are operational. To keep us (and other submarine enthusiasts from running amok on Lake Michigan) her screws have been removed (Propellers to you Landlubbers!) SOOooooo! I had better get busy casting 1/1 Gato-class propellers! We will also need to bring our own torpedoes. Where is Mike Seek when we need him?! Otherwise no Patrol can be conducted against all the local Japanese surface targets, UM! traffic! Anyone with 3'/50 caliber cannon ammunition is welcome as well!

Our Francisco turned the meeting over to me at a civilized hour, then Nate the Magnificent, Mark Karolus and I misbehaved together until rather an uncivilized hour! What fun! All that without have to wear pants!!

The Next Zoom meeting will be on 24 December. If it is possible, I will host the meeting for anyone willing to join. We will have cookies, candy canes, hot chocolate and open 1 present each before Christmas day!

You better watch out.
You better not cry.
You better not pout! I'm telling you why!
Rhino Claus is coming to town!

Last edited:
It was the best fun we can have these days. I'm not sure what I'll do when actual meeting start up again. I guess I'll have to wear pants again.
If you want to Zoom with us, P/M me and I will include you in the invitations. I will need your email addy's.

"Obligated elsewhere" be damned! I had to work today. No model show fun if anybody's water heater is on the blink.
Bugger F#ck All!!

Last edited:
Rhino, sounds like fun. Too bad I missed it. Something had come up: we had a brand new freezer delivered so I was spending the day getting it installed and then going shopping to fill it up!

I know how you feel about being obligated elsewhere... I just got a call that an apartment had been vacated and so my week is shot while I go in and repair the damage and re-paint the place. I was hoping to get the nine models airbrushed that are currently waiting for paint. Oh well.

I don't know that I'll be able to sign in on December 24th, I'll be in Florida celebrating Christmas with my family for the first time in 32 years. If it's possible, I'll see if I can.

Our impromptu Christmas Eve zoom meeting was lightly attended but still fun. Francisco started the meeting, but made me "Host" when Christmas celebrations began with his family. "Christmas with Chris" was afoot!

David Angelo joined us again from the P.I. with a sneak peek of Loose Cannon East's resin 1/700 USS Tangier AV-8 in her Pearl Harbor fit, and USS Housatonic AO-35 (The WWII tanker). I suggested his AO-35 should come with a scale Hunley just for the fun of it! Perhaps a joint Loose Cannon/TLAR venture? The Resin hulls and superstructure parts are up to Loose Cannon's customary level of excellence! I thought USS Tangier was a particularly impressive job of mastering and casting utilizing new techniques to make the ship easier and more fun to build.
It was Christmas Day on Leyte Island so David didn't hang out for the whole meeting.

An appearance was made by our Plastic Surgeons stalwart, Don Barry! It was great to see one of our plank-owners finally got his lil' camera lens cleaned off enough to share the camaraderie. If Don has a problem with the hobby, it must be that he can't finish his latest 1/35 model because he is out of places to put things. Having visited his humble residence, I can understand why.

Joe came on with his continuing progress on the Russian T-17 Masterclub resin tank tracks, his Eduard Me-108 Taifun with the anticipated fit-issues, even though it's a pretty good kit, and a commentary on the Hobbytown Ankeny contest that none of us made it to. I had to work, and the weather turned to Iowa winter-normal shit that morning.

I shared progress on 1/700 Caleb Cushing's Master, my generic 1/700 150-foot/1/350 75-foot boat, the pivot guns for the Raiders set .

Nate Stevens came on around 2000, having slipped the bonds of Christmas In-Laws. He and I burned some midnight oil laughing and chatting about models and other things Christmas. Nate's putting the finishing touches on Airfix' new 1/72 Whitley. Some conjecture was made about a new-tool 1/72 Hampden (A gun-nose strafer, maybe?!) As if an airplane with barely enough power to lug 3 crewmen and a couple of bombs would have guts enough to pull out of a diving attack.
"British Hampden Ground attackers located, Herr General!"
"How dit you find Zem, Schultz?"
"By ze smoke und ze twin tails sticking out of ze ground, Sir!"
So closes the 2020 Plastic Surgeon Zoom meetings!

GOODBYE 2020! Our patience has stretched to the limit. Our Hearts have been rended. Our Imaginations have been exercised. Our intelligence insulted. Our pocketbooks have been assaulted. Our hobby has proliferated.
We have endured.
We Few. We happy few. We band of Brothers.

Back