• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Mitsubishi KI-46 II Type 100 Trainer (LS)

I like that....orange putty!! :rotf

Yeah, the orange is going to be orange no matter what I do! I won't go the green/orange route but might paint the engine nacelles black.

Been trying to find an actual image to see if this thing carried an aerial wire but so far have not had much luck. This is the only image I could find online and it looks like an abandoned aircraft.

h1d88108.jpg

All other versions carried an antenna but I'm not able to find anything on the trainer Warren :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Warren, here is a photo and a drawing of the Ki-46 trainer from Francillon's book. They don't seem to show any antenna.

Ki46trainer1.jpg

Ki46trainer2.jpg

Thanks for the comments Mike, Chris and Mark and John, thanks for posting those pics!!

Had a busy month since March break with work and the kids! Almost done this though. Hoping to have it all finished by tomorrow evening!

There were a few gaps that needed some filling...always a slow spot for me!

hfac6121.jpg

Then I mixed up my own version of aotake using Tamiya flat aluminum, clear green and clear blue

h0355db3.jpg

h34becbd.jpg

Got the engines painted and the nacelles installed

h244f0b3.jpg

Then mixed up a new "Trainer" orange using Tamiya orange and some Model Master RLM 04. This was the most difficult paint job i've ever done, the coverage was awful and took several coats. I thought painting yellow was bad! In hindsight, I should have sprayed the whole model with a white or a yellow base coat first!

hed97707.jpg

As she sits now with the decals on. Just have a few more things to do before end of day tomorrow! I decided to make a fictional plane from Kumagaya Army Flying School, using some spare decals from the stash.

h8a1785f.jpg

The Tamiya primers make painting a lot more enjoyable .

I like it though and the markings have really made a lot of difference by breaking up the endless orange color .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys! The orange was fine going over the orange plastic, but it had a hard time covering the putty fills and the little overspray I did with the aotake colour. I think a base of white or yellow would have really helped!

I agree Christian, I think the markings break it up enough. I had thought about making some anti glare black patches on the engine nacelles but decided against it for this build. Most of the Kumagaya aircraft that I have seen (which isn’t many) had a number on the tail and a number on the engine cowl.

I got the gloss coat on last night and it is all assembled. Should be able to pull off another last minute finish today.

Thanks guys! The orange was fine going over the orange plastic, but it had a hard time covering the putty fills and the little overspray I did with the aotake colour. I think a base of white or yellow would have really helped!

I agree Christian, I think the markings break it up enough. I had thought about making some anti glare black patches on the engine nacelles but decided against it for this build. Most of the Kumagaya aircraft that I have seen (which isn’t many) had a number on the tail and a number on the engine cowl.

I got the gloss coat on last night and it is all assembled. Should be able to pull off another last minute finish today.

:rotf :rotf :rotf I think some of you thrive on the photo finish .

I am just the opposite . Takes all sorts to make the world go round :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

:rotf :rotf :rotf I think some of you thrive on the photo finish .

I am just the opposite . Takes all sorts to make the world go round :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

That could be possibly true! I can be a bit of a procrastinator, and sometimes I think the pressure helps to get the kit done! Part in truth, it was a busy month with the kids and work as well. Just at dance classes this morning, then an Easter egg hunt this afternoon, which leaves me tonight to try to get this finished.

Those classic L/S kits are old Gems!
I like what you've done with this one!! (y)
Well Done Young Mister!!
:ro:

Way to go! That is some amazing work.

As for the photo finish, I hate being that close to the deadline! I want to finish fast and then sit back and enjoy the remaining time.

So, got the flat coat on and then shot a very light mix of Model Master RLM 04 on the tops of the nacelles and body to give it a slight faded appearance. Unfortunately, I don't think it will show up well in the pics

he93c3c1.jpg

I had used Micro Mask to mask off the greenhouse as I didn't want to have to cut all those tiny pieces of tape. Should have used the tape! When I pulled off the mask, it lifted a lot of the paint off the frames and looked like hell! :bang head

h5de11e9.jpg

So, I got out the brush and with a steady hand, tried to fix it as best I could!

h96e5d41.jpg

the last few things to do were to install the lower windows, paint the wingtip lights and add some staining from the exhausts. I lost the little clear part for the front landing light so I used a blob of some Micro Krystal Klear for that.

h3750abc.jpg

At 23:30, she was pretty much dry enough to take pics so I'm calling it done! I learned that orange is very difficult to photograph!!! :bang head

h41fab8e.jpg

he1bfb9e.jpg

h3cdd9dd.jpg

h09342ad.jpg

hfdbab3c.jpg

h3a09a07.jpg

ha588da4.jpg

h30883ff.jpg

Back