• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Fujimi Claude

ausf

Master at Arms
Inspired by Christian, I picked up a Claude to try me hand at 1/72 AC.

I've only spent a short time on it, but I have to say, so far I love this kit (especially for $8).

Looking over the decal sheet, I can't resist going with the bold black lettering on the wing. The paint scheme with those is silver. Not NMF, after a little research, it seems they apparently painted silver laquer over the aluminum to cut down on salt corrosion. Now (I'm treading lightly here), there seems to be a big controversy regarding 'golden Claudes'. There's a school of thought that some pre-war ones where covered with a varnish that cast a yellowish tint to the silver (or aluminum). Apparently there's little evidence except eyewitness reports, but one gentlemen online states his grandfather saw them as a schoolboy in Japan, and distinctly remembers golden Claudes flying low over his school. That's enough for me, since this won't be built for anywhere but my shelf and the idea of an aluminum coat with a trans yellowish brown overspray is too cool to pass up. :D

The cockpit is short on details, so I cut some seatbelts out of tan card stock. When pulling apart the sheets after cutting, the paper pulp is a little fuzzy, almost like sheepskin. Have no idea if what I did was evenly slightly accurate, but it's both tiny and will barely be seen.

h2e348df.jpg

Here's the IP decal ans a few dots of red Vallejo:

h9497192.jpg

Cockpit in place before fuse, note the monsterous 6" wingspan:

ha5adf9a.jpg

And I couldn't help weighted tires. I just pressed them against a warm heat gun nozzle then sanded a bit. The wheels aren't glued, so I can spin them both for painting and to set the bulge in the right spot when sitting.

hf2bd990.jpg

Any comments and pointers greatly appreciated.

:rotf :rotf :rotf Good one Bob . Must say it's good to see someone else that's willing to build somethind small for a decent price (y) (y) (y)

Watching this . Don't make me look too bad :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Good start Ausf (y)

Don't remember what I did for belts on mine but a lot of early Japanese bird used only one shoulder belt but since there are no Claudes left, who is to say :hmmm

The Navy paint instruction called for multiple coats of paint for anti corrosion purpose.
The silver paint is likely since we used it as well on US birds .
I can't help but wonder if the varnish wouldn't make good sense because it was used widely on wooden components and it does have the orange/brown tint . I also wonder about Shellac as a possibility .

I have also read some accounts of early Zeros painted in that manner.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the varnish made sense to me too, especially in a culture so tied into wood as the Japanese. I wouldn't have even batted an eye, but there was a whole mess of conjecture regarding it online, analyzing old photographs, box art, historical records, etc. and there's little info, just eyewitness remarks about golden planes before the war.

I'm not worried about it and the idea of the tinted clear over silver, yet under the markings and tail colors is just too much for me to pass up. :D

Thanks guys.

Yeah, the varnish made sense to me too, especially in a culture so tied into wood as the Japanese. I wouldn't have even batted an eye, but there was a whole mess of conjecture regarding it online, analyzing old photographs, box art, historical records, etc. and there's little info, just eyewitness remarks about golden planes before the war.

I'm not worried about it and the idea of the tinted clear over silver, yet under the markings and tail colors is just too much for me to pass up. :D

I understand My A-5m4 is supposed to be golden but I'm sort of curious how splotchy/evenly that might come out .

I guess if you go first, I'll find out the easy way :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

:rotf :rotf :rotf Good one Bob . Must say it's good to see someone else that's willing to build something small for a decent price (y) (y) (y)

Wait, what about me? I do this all the time! :blink :blush: :D :D :D

Looking good man, I like the IP. I'm going to be real interested in seeing a 'golden' bird.

:rotf :rotf :rotf Good one Bob . Must say it's good to see someone else that's willing to build something small for a decent price (y) (y) (y)

Wait, what about me? I do this all the time! :blink :blush: :D :D :D

Looking good man, I like the IP. I'm going to be real interested in seeing a 'golden' bird.

Sorry Duke . :blush: I have never been accused of dragging anyone to the dark side before :blink Lost my mind for a bit :rotf

I'm sure you'll find me innocent and blameless in this matter .

Cheers, Christian B)

Don't worry Christian, you haven't dragged me to the 'dark side'; I've been here all along. I was just surprised that you forgot me when you said that it was good to see someone building something small for a change. LOL! :silly: My Maddog Manufacturing Thread is filled with small stuff! :D :good:

Don't worry Christian, you haven't dragged me to the 'dark side'; I've been here all along. I was just surprised that you forgot me when you said that it was good to see someone building something small for a change. LOL! :silly: My Maddog Manufacturing Thread is filled with small stuff! :D :good:

Perhaps I should have said " someone new . Everyone seems to wind up with bigger instead of smaller . :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Point taken. I agree; everyone seems to go bigger. I've even been known to dabble in some fairly large stuff too. Okay, lets get this back on track and see more of that Claude!

Back