• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Airfix Swordfish

Yep things over at Airfix have really changed for the better, eh?.

Looking good matey.

Ian.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :drinks

Yes Alex, it is surprisingly large for a single engine aircraft.

Construction is proceeding along. Just have the tail feathers and landing gear to attach and then I can shoot some primer. I am finding that I will have to paint the main wings separately before attaching. Even the main supports for the lower wings will have to painted first. They are shown on the fuselage in the pictures but are not glued yet. The logistics of paint and assembly for a biplane of this size has been a challenge.

Also, have broken 4 pieces either trying to get them off the thick sprue gates or while trying to clean them up. And... I managed to glue one of the struts on upside down so I have been having much fun.

05Swordfish.jpg

06Swordfish.jpg

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :drinks

Yes Alex, it is surprisingly large for a single engine aircraft.

Construction is proceeding along. Just have the tail feathers and landing gear to attach and then I can shoot some primer. I am finding that I will have to paint the main wings separately before attaching. Even the main supports for the lower wings will have to painted first. They are shown on the fuselage in the pictures but are not glued yet. The logistics of paint and assembly for a biplane of this size has been a challenge.

Also, have broken 4 pieces either trying to get them off the thick sprue gates or while trying to clean them up. And... I managed to glue one of the struts on upside down so I have been having much fun.

05Swordfish.jpg

06Swordfish.jpg

Question on the paint call outs for this. The instructions are calling for Humbrol 64 light grey for the undersides which seems very dark to me. I've only seen white or sky on this. Any thoughts?

Looking at this build, I wish that they would get away from those large trenches to mount the wing struts .
Tricky to make those look good.

Even in 1/48 , the Swordfish required painting in subassemblies ( for me anyhow ).

Cheers, Christian B)

The Swordfish used at Taranto had the S1E (Sea Scheme 1 Version E) camouflage that used Sky Grey as the underside colour. 815 NAS was the exception by painting their aircraft undersides in black for the raid.

Hu64 looks to be a bit dark for Sky Grey, based on their online colour chart. Vallejo's Sky Grey 989 is supposed to be very close. Sovereign Hobbies (ex-WEM) ACRN13 Sky Grey is likely the closest, but can be tough to get this side of the pond.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks guys and thanks Rich for the info. Not sure if I am making a trip down to Kelowna soon. That is the only place nearby that carries the vallejo. Might just see what I have on hand that might be close or might just go with the model master sky.

Tamiya XF-19 is a close match as well. Maybe lighten it with some white.

Cheers,
Rich

Paint is complete except for the upper surfaces of the lower wings. Need to figure out the rigging before I paint those though. A quick pic to show the progress.

09Swordfish.jpg

For any of you planning to do a Taranto ship you might want to know what this tank is for. It is not shown in the instructions anywhere and it was not until I did some reading on the Taranto raid that I discovered that an extra tank was installed in place of the middle seat in order to get the range they needed for the raid. Of course this discovery was made after I had closed up the fuselage. :pinch:

10Swordfish.jpg

Well at least they added it. Can't be that much gas in those, what, maybe 10 gals or is the size throwing me off?

Paint job looks swell Dave, looking forward to this! :popcorn

Back