• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Yazoo River Dogfight Duo. USS Carondelet vs. CSS Arkansas, 1862

IMG_E7742.JPG
CSS Arkansas in her first paint stage. I'm pleased with how she looks. I would think she would look really cool in a German Yazoo River ambush scheme. Like a huge floating KT. Paint will cure some more before wood deck and washes are applied. She should lighten just a bit.
IMG_E7738.JPG
A Tale of two Confederate Ironclads.................
My old Arkansas is a 1/600 3D printed model. Not very accurate, but still fun to trick out. The cannons look cool but are more like 18" guns in this scale. Menacing, don't you think?
"Perfect Pajama Sunday" was a rousing success, from a modeling standpoint.
Now I'm off to make New York Strips and mashed potatoes for our supper.
Thanks for looking in! :salute::capsmiley::oldguy:

IMG_E7749.JPG
A little more painting and washing tonight. (HINT install your cannon barrels AFTER you paint the Ironclad!)
I continue to be very pleased with this version of CSS Arkansas. The 2.0 version will be better!
Thanks for looking in!!

IMG_E7760.JPG
A little bit of grinding and shaping with a new knife blade makes the corners on the gun ports. USS Carondelet will be ready for a fight! I had hoped to "double dip" on the turned gun barrels when I cut them to length, but they are only hollow 1/16" from the end of the barrel. 23 cannon barrels per Yazoo River Dogfight set will still look really cool.
I seek a less pricey option to keep the kit selling price down.
Brass tubing, maybe? :bm:
I'm always thinking.

where do 23 guns fit on this thing? I think I'm only counting 5 ports on the side and 3 up front.

IMG_E7785.JPGIMG_E7787.JPG
Smokestacks, ventilators, overhead frame work and gun port hatches in progress. The thicker piece of square plastic is for measuring the gun port hatches in the closed position. The smaller one is for cutting out hatches that are opened out.

Notes to Self: Mount the cannon barrels before attaching the open hatches. Shaping the gun ports only really needs to be fastidious on the bottom of the port. The illusion of open gun ports is convincing when you install the hatches above the port.

Building USS Carondelet opened out and ready for a fight is a gigantic pain in the ass!! NOT for the faint of heart of beginners! Few of my creations are made with a fledgling ship model builder in mind.

The overhead framework is made from .010 and .015 copper wire. That part was kind of fun, but I'll wager it will be soldered one teeny joint at a time on the finished model. Bumping the taller flagstaffs separates the CA glue joint.

I hoped to get this model in primer today, but service calls must be attended to.

Thanks for looking in!!

IMG_E7801.JPGIMG_E7802.JPGIMG_E7803.JPG
GUN-DAY, GUN-DAY, SUNDAY!
It's wet and yucky outside today. The Accu-hunch Weather Guess, brought to you by Hy-Vee, Fareway, and Price Chopper food stores predicts the frozen flake of which we are SO tired of, later in the day. SOOooooo.............

"Captain Walke, Carondelet is cleared for action. All guns loaded, primed and run out, Sir."
"Very Well, Mr. Fox, Shall we close the enemy and test his resolve this day? Engines ahead full."

11 Eleven inch cannons installed aboard USS Carondelet. Drilling the gunports with a #72 drill bit makes a fine fit for the brass cannon barrels. I took some liberties with the stern chasers. They are closer to 15" cannons. HEY! I own the fargin' company. I wanted bigger stern cannons. I mostly get what I want.
IMG_E7804.JPG
Hoping to have both ironclads ready for the Monticello show. Then box-art, instructions, and decals for the appropriate flags.

Thanks for looking in!

I see an Ironclad and I want to paint it Blaack...............
IMG_E7809.JPG
Smokestacks and guns and ports painted. The viewports in the armored conning tower give this Federal ship a devious look, don't you think?

Thanks for looking in!

20210320_071603_(1).jpg
Solved the cannon barrel dilemma! 48 inches of 1mm brass tube should produce plentiful gun barrels! Easy to cut with my razor saw and hollow all the way through!
Posting my first picture from my new Android phone. I haven't mastered the camera yet.
To my iPhone, Friday "YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME!"

Thanks for looking in!

20210412_194632.jpg
You know how when you loose something and stop looking for it, I it finally turns up? CSS Arkansas boat finally turned up! Stuck to a piece of tape on the leg of my desk.
20210412_204732.jpg
This is the bridge/deckhouse I was working on when the small boat finally turned up! Not that I didn't have lots of other boats this size. The Arkansas' parts mold makes two with every casting. I wanted to finish THIS ONE!!
20210412_195155.jpg
These are CSS Arkansas' anchors with the stocks added to them. I hope to finish at very least CSS Arkansas in time for Her premier at the Monticello model show. Finishing USS Carondelet will take some doing.

Thanks for looking in!

20210414_203518.jpg
CSS Arkansas in her final stages. My boat davits are a little too tall, and the anchors I made aren't mounted yet. The laser printed flag is a touch overscale. Otherwise, I am well pleased so far.
Thanks for looking in!

20210420_204604.jpg
I decided to open the scuppers and make anchor cables. I kinda got a kick out of the fact that the invisible thread cables support the weight of Arkansas' anchors. :blink

20210420_220637.jpg20210420_220737.jpg
I did get the cables to wind around and tacked her anchors to the bow. CSS Arkansas is just about ready for flat-coat, and stanchions for the smokestack, then put the boat on. THEN, a 1/700 Figure of Captain Brown, conning his ship into battle from atop the casemate. NO BOOBS!
Thanks for looking in!

20210523_195200.jpg20210523_195211.jpg20210523_195146.jpg
USS Carondelet with ALL of her 13 gun port hatches installed over all 13 of her cannons. Opened out and ready for a fight as CSS Arkansas comes downstream toward her. She's looking mean!
I will advise my customers NOT to do this! It is tedious and frustrating. I cain't say it the results justify the big dent on the wall.
20210523_152550.jpg
This is how to do it, if one is as foolhardy as I am. Long (?!) piece of .010 X .060 strip, C/A glue & clip it off. It's for the box art, so WTF?
I hope both ironclads will debut at the 19 June Omaha show, along with Corsair and St. David's Light.
Thanks for looking in!! :notworthyoldguy::salute:

Back