• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Yazoo River Dogfight Duo. USS Carondelet vs. CSS Arkansas, 1862

When do we pour?
Pouring molds happens pretty soon. I think Arkansas and Carondelet will occupy one larger mold.
USS Carondelet's detail parts (Stacks, gun port hatches, anchors, deck air vents, boats) will go in another small mold. Once I open the Moldmax 10, there will be a mad scramble to use it up before moisture can contaminate the RTV.
IMG_E7460.JPG
A C/A glue accident led to discovering that the "trenches" in the casemate roof are just the right size for .010 X .020 styrene strip to fill. cut to fit, add Tamiya thin and schmoosh. Sand. Voila!!
IMG_E7462.JPG
I found out another model company makes a 1/700 Eads Union Ironclad model with included P/E. She is truly stellar!! (I might just buy one for my very own!) Now that my issue won't be the only waterline model or quite as detailed, I took some shortcuts. Texture rather than wood plank for the casemate roof/deck, Generic windows in the skylight hatches. I traded perfection for progress today.

CSS Arkansas will be kicking the dogsnot out of her closest communist competitor!! Their kit is a heap of La Shi!
IMG_E7459.JPG
Just for fun I used a bit of 40mm cannon barrel and chunk of .50 gun barrel to make another "Movie Star" boat!
I give you TLAR Model's 1/700 representation of The Afrikan Queen! No torpedoes or sun canopy yet.

Thanks for looking in!

I always thought I would like to try the African Queen some day, along with all the other stuff I can't get to. :bang head
Looking good Rhino!!

The Afrikan Queen will join Orca, Minnow, Queen Conch and the other movie star waterline boats.
I know the nut that makes all this dinky stuff. Perhaps an accord could be made. :bm:

WARNING! This post is NOT about Modeling! It is about movies and should be viewed by Purists as "Chitter-chatter"!!
Bravo, Sir! You know your Bogart! "To Have and Have not" was Lauren Bacall's first film with Humphrey. The lithe, slim, young Miss Bacall stole Bogey's heart in this movie. Lauren can NOT sing!
USS Carondelet's bottom is being filled as we speak. Out of respect for our membership, I would not like to post a picture of that process. :facepalm::lol::yipee::lol:

IMG_E7483.JPG

There is no glamour in making bollards. These Masters will all have between 4 and 8 of them. I have to make every one. :ph:
USS Carondelet's smoke stacks are ready to mold. I'm reviewing my references for placement of bollards. Rudders, tillers and steering gear slide plates will finish off this Master. Pouring molds begins after that.
Both Civil War Ironclads will have their very own mold. It NEVER pays to cheap-out on mold RTV.
Thanks for looking in!

OK, so here's a bit of fun.
Our time clock at work uses your fingerprint to ID you when clocking in or out. It has worked just dandy for me since we got it, but this last week or so it's been giving me fits! I cut little rings of brass tubing with my Dremel for the rings around Carondelet's stacks and wet-sanded the rings to get any burrs off and make sure they were thin enough. During this process I noticed some mysterious, not-brass residue on my sanding stick. :bm:
In an effort to make enough thin brass rings, I wet-sanded part of my fingerprint off along the way! OOPS!
I suppose I'll have to stop cussing out the time clock finger-funk machine now. :smack:

Having to bang against those "biometric" scanners for work myself I love this! Next time someone blames the network on their scan not working I'll bring this up. :rotf

Having to bang against those "biometric" scanners for work myself I love this! Next time someone blames the network on their scan not working I'll bring this up. :rotf
EXACTLY! Especially if the are modelers! "Is your finger too cold, maybe?" No. It should be nice & warm. I just took it out of my sphincter. Happy Snow Day! USS Carondelet beckons.................

IMG_E7494.JPG
IMG_E7495.JPG

After just 5 Months of measuring, squinting at lots of old pictures, plans, diagrams and larger scale models, USS Carondelet's Master is as done as she is going to get. Acrylic clearcoat precedes mold boxing, and THEN!!
Added this day mooring timbers, muzzle blast plates, rudders and replaced 4 ladders I knocked off during the final detail process. Ships boats and gun port hatches will come from smaller molds made for all the Civil War ships.
Is She perfect? Oh HELL no! She should be lots of fun to build. Perhaps your Yazoo River Gunfight will end differently. I'm still working on the turned brass cannon barrels for both Ironclads.
Thanks for looking in!

Bear in mind these are the completed Masters. Molding and casting, then actually building my own US made model so I can write my "illustrated letter to my Friend" instructions IN ENGLISH (with bullschtein & Tips) must occur before a TLAR Model kit ever reaches the release threshold. This will be kit #920 (the project started in September of 2020) I get a big kick out of advertisers and marketing idiots thinking I have made 920 model kits! They ask me for $$ to promote my "Shipbuilding Company"! HA! Northrup Grumman Shipyard I AIN'T! LinkedIn is so much baloney!!

IMG_E7545.JPG

Turned brass cannon barrels arrived. Had USS Carondelet been armed with Krupp's 128mm rifled guns, the Yazoo River battle with CSS Arkansas might have gone very differently! Both Ironclads will include brass cannon barrels.
Not quite this grand or deadly.

Thanks for looking in!

Uh...yeah you know sometimes I don't know if you're serious or not... :rotf
That's understandable. (The bow blast plates would be in totally the wrong place for 128mm guns. :lol: ) These brass barrels will be cut down and sized. To keep it simple, bigger brass barrels for the bow and stern guns and smaller brass barrels for the side cannon. They should look really cool in this scale on a finished model.

In Another World, an Eads Ironclad might have prowled the shallow waters of the Mekong delta. Powered by Caterpillar diesel engines, bow thrusters, air-conditioned, armed with 90mm cannons, 105 Howitzers, flamethrowers and plentiful automatic weapons. Supporting fire teams, tending PBR, PCF Swift and other US Navy Riverine craft. Seawolf Heli pad? :hmm:
Those 30-foot smokestacks might not be necessary. Anything is possible In Another World!

Back