• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USS Potomac. FDR's floating White House.

Rhino

Super Moderator
President Roosevelt's Presidential yacht came from humble beginnings.
USS Potomac 2.jpgUSS Potomac 1.jpg
Built in Manitowoc, WI in 1934, US Coast Guard Cutter Electra, WPC-187. The 165-foot cutters had many sea-keeping improvements over their older 148-foot sisters.
WPC Electra.jpg
165-plan-coast-guard.jpg
If I can find one of these drawings, following the plan makes for a much better Master. Better still if the drawing includes a scale!
20221214_005604.jpg20221226_145510.jpg20221226_154916.jpg
After that, the magic begins to happen! Ideally, a modeler might make USS Potomac or use the optional parts to construct a 1/700 waterline USCGC Electra.
2 different hulls will be included to make this model easier and more fun to build.
God alone knows what ideas I may come up with as this new project goes forward. Both models? Different superstructure for USCGC Nemesis or a 1942 Icarus? :facepalm:
Thanks for looking in!

The lines are to reference the hull profile at known measuring points. I've been working on this for a couple of weeks alongside USS Niagara.
I didn't want to post anything until I made some visible progress. 165 feet in 1/700 scale is 2.82 inches. This hull is a hair long. I suspect my 1/700-1/350 ruler is a little less than accurate.

165 X 24 WPC.png20221231_112136.jpg
USCGC Icarus above. The Electra/Nemesis/USS Potomac deckhouse and bridge over the BASIC Icarus deckhouse and bridge wings.
No windows, hatches or portholes yet. The Icarus' part will have a roof on the bridge. These still need finesse'.

It's not easy to keep from getting side-tracked while working on the Masters for these Cutter models.

A smart guy would finish off the WPC hull, cast that. make the Potomac's hull and main deck, mold and cast that, THEN dink around will all these other ideas.
For all those that hunger for the obscure, enjoy the esoteric, shun the hum-drum, are weary of the commonplace.
That's where TLAR Models will be found.
Thanks again for looking in!:salute::oldguy:

20230109_170504.jpg
USCGC Electra/USS Potomac hull details going forward. There are 100 dinky details to add, but the basic shapes are beginning to emerge.
20230109_171132.jpg
1942 Thetis-class USCGC Icarus. She still needs LOTS of work, but showing promise.
Thanks again for looking in!

20230112_191222.jpg
Icarus pilothouse and p/e parts ready to install................
20230112_203855.jpg20230112_204033.jpg
Icarus' pilothouse with p/e parts installed. Ready to mold, sans auxiliary generator, life rafts and signal flag lockers. Atop the wheelhouse goes a searchlight, D/F antenna and compass. 3 more companionway access hatches (?) are also ready to mold.

Any doubts about my sanity may be voiced now. :silly:
20230115_122318.jpg
A few of the parts from previous TLAR kits make dandy masters. These are modified smokestacks from the Confederate Raiders kit and ventilators for the Ironclads. Waste not, want not.
20230115_123510.jpg20230115_122309.jpg
Another re-purposed stack and deck house aft. Finished internal stiffeners for the bow spray shield. It doesn't look like much. It takes a long time.

WPC-111_Nemesis.gif20230131_223921.jpgpv_uscgc_ariadne_wpc101 (2).jpg
A third forward deckhouse/bridge option will allow ready construction of "Florida's oldest U-Boat killer", USCGC Nemesis, WPC-111, in her WWII fit. the after radar shack for wartime Coast Guard cutters will be along presently.
USS Potomac will begin after this Cutter hull has been molded and cast. Not too many of the deck details will be recycled for the Floating White House master. The Cutter hull is close to completion.

:salute:
:oldguy:

309065584_158276973491298_4527978129343996415_n.jpg

How the hell do you even do these tiny ships??😳. They're fantastic but the hair I spotted growing out of my ear the other day was longer than Roosevelt's yacht.

How the hell do you even do these tiny ships??😳. They're fantastic but the hair I spotted growing out of my ear the other day was longer than Roosevelt's yacht.
We are all passionate about something, are we not? I wonder the same thing about your giant ship and her rigging. I appreciate your opinion!
Any line drawing with a scale on it is fair game. Measure, multiply, divide, cut, glue, sand/shape. Voila!
The arrival of Teresa's digital caliper has made the process more lengthy and more accurate.

I'm always on the look-out for some obscure nautical subject that no one else makes, or in the case of CSS Arkansas a subject that is just plain wrong and hideous.

I confess, since USCGC Electra was built in Manitowoc, I shamelessly baited my Wisconasin friend Mark Karolus for any references he might dig up.
IT WORKED!!:lol:

We are all passionate about something, are we not? I wonder the same thing about your giant ship and her rigging. I appreciate your opinion!
Any line drawing with a scale on it is fair game. Measure, multiply, divide, cut, glue, sand/shape. Voila!
The arrival of Teresa's digital caliper has made the process more lengthy and more accurate.

I'm always on the look-out for some obscure nautical subject that no one else makes, or in the case of CSS Arkansas a subject that is just plain wrong and hideous.

I confess, since USCGC Electra was built in Manitowoc, I shamelessly baited my Wisconasin friend Mark Karolus for any references he might dig up.
IT WORKED!!:lol:
Amazing work Rhino 👌👌👌.

20230212_155655.jpg
USCGC Nemesis/Argo/Nike Bridge, forward superstructure and after radar shack.
20230212_155646.jpg
USS Potomac & USCGC Electra forward superstructure, Bridge and parts.
Unpictured ships boats will also be in the moldings. I can start on USS Potomac after I have cast the WPC waterline hull. I expect the kit to have 2 hulls and parts for almost any Coast Guard 165-footer a Guy could wish for. Decals will be made right here. Not that much to them.
Thanks for looking in!

20230321_171359.jpg
At long last, The 1/700 WPC cutter mold is poured and pressurized. I almost forgot the companion way structures and depth-charge racks for the WWII cutters.
The other 5 molds contain such esoteric items as a 3 new 1/700 trailers, trucks and a compressor for the PT Boat base set, Ronnie Schultz' 1/24 squirrel, 1/35 Chianti, champagne and cognac bottles, 1/700 Sea Dragon and Chinook helicopters, a set of 1/72 B-25C/D/G .50 caliber cheek gun packs to compliment my 5th AF Air Apaches project. I didn't mold the B-25G 75mm cannon nose yet, but it's coming up!

You never know what odd-ball model stuff will come from "The Laboratory". :silly:
More on this exciting story as the micro model madness unfolds!

Wow Chris! They look like little cups of Pepto-Bismal.
I promise these do nothing for indigestion.:lol:

Pigments are available for the RTV, but I feel like I don't want to mess with success.
A question never asked in our home is "Honey, do you know where I left that little pink mold?" :facepalm:

I cast the news ones and a couple of old one today.

Back