• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

The next battle of the Luftballoons is another victory! Rails for the generic 1/700-1/350 full hull kit.
What will YOU make from yours? A 1/700 Confederate blockade runner?
A swift and deadly 1/350 75-foot Patrol boat? A romantic sailing Schooner or Ketch in either scale? I'm including some of my redundant parts for ships to fire the imaginations of model ship devotees. A 1/350 PTF-like bridge/deckhouse is in the works too. Just for the fun of it!
Yes, you are quite correct! US Navy PTF Nasty-class boats are 5 feet longer and have a different profile than this hull does. White Ensign Models made one a long time ago in 1/350 waterline. It was pretty "Fast & Nasty"!
IMG_E7549.JPG

Thanks for looking in! :oldguy::salute:

I never had any intention of putting this much work into the 1/700-1/350 Generic Boat/Ship hull!! NEVER!!
(Never say Never!)
IMG_E7560.JPG
It was going so well, I just kept going! Will she sell? Heaven alone knows! My idea was to tempt modelers that don't ordinarily build a ship/boat model into trying something new. All i need now is about 30 customers to try their hand at something they might otherwise shy away from. Serious, historical ship-builders will NOT like my "What-If, Us-Your-Imagination-Have-Some-Fun kit. In the fullness of time, this kit will appear on Mercari, following my recent dispute with Evil-Bay and preceding the website Teresa and I will build.

Yes, I will cap the railings after all the f-ing stanchions are on! OMAFA!!! Thanks for looking in!

NOTHING I do at TLAR is "Classified". I hope to pass on my experiences of 6 years of master making, molding and casting to others free of charge! Now, If you make me write instructions and box art, that you have to pay for (with a few exceptions!) If everyone did what I do, the Communists might never sell another ship model inside my beloved United States. Unless it was big, or complex or contained photo-etched parts. :hmm:
Never mind! I may be overly altruistic. I believe in America!

I discovered David Coffin's old-timey sailing songs. David's renditions of the old sea shanties help set the mood and his melodious baritone is soothing. Our cat, Berlin enjoys coming into the Nut Department while the music is on, and stretching out by the heat register. I didn't have any music playing Sunday afternoon, so Berlin meandered from my room to seek an attractive napping spot. My laptop was on. Berlin was on it. To our mutual chagrin, he had composed a Google Chat message for Mike, snuggled down and started David Coffin's "Homeward Bound" album.
IMG_E7599.JPG
He's the most interesting Poose in The World.
"I don't always lie down on Dad's computer. But when I do I play whatever I darn well please!"
IMG_E7601.JPGIMG_E7602.JPG
In other model ship/boat news, This is the finished generic (Universal?) Hull.
Now, to womp up some interesting nautical-looking bits to go with it.

Thanks for looking in!

Very nice! I love your kitty too! He's awesome! I guess you should have him choose all the songs from now on!

IMG_E7734.JPG
Size comparison. USS Carondelet, unnamed 96-foot schooner (with a roomy, modern deckhouse) and Bluenose.
The 96-footer was built along the same lines as Bluenose II, 2/3 the LOA, in the same Lunenburg, Nova Scotia shipyard. Once completed she can be built as a fishing schooner or as the modernized pleasure sailer you see here.
Parts for both options will be provided, as well as a modernized deckhouse and small boats for Bluenose, making her Jimmy Buffet's "Lucretia" of "A Salty Piece of Land" book fame. Now where did I put those 1/700 scale recoilless rifles? :bm:
Thanks for looking in!

On the 1/700 scale recoilless rifle shelf? :bigrin:
You are a very funny man. For you we make very special Won-Ton soup!
I told my sweetie any (imaginary) blue water boat we sailed, over 60 feet LOA, would carry 105 recoilless rifles for deterring peaceful pirate protests. Some smaller (?!?) personal wep's as well.

After careful study and consideration, We have agreed to name our luxury 96-foot schooner "Wind Breaker". (Infer what you wish!!) "Sea and Sky" was a close second, but you can't name EVERYTHING after your company. The fishing version of the same schooner may well be named "BB Bluenose" or "Frosty Snotbox" or whateverinthehell you want to call yours!

Thanks for having a look-see!

Given the less than stellar results my fine laser etched details produced in the molding process, I made a new hatchway to the Captain's cabin and a new deckhouse with skylights for the afterdeck of CSS Alabama. Ima thinkin' all the laser details will get upgraded to lil' bitty PEE gratings and skylights.
IMG_E7778.JPG
Then in an act of return Model-rosity, Mark Karolus, FSM model ship reviewer, zoom superstar and all-around good guy sent me a generous Confederate present. How funking cool is THAT?!?
IMG_E7782.JPG
I imagine this big, detailed, model will be used to scale up (down, mebbe?!?) a 1/700 waterline version of CSS Chattahoochee, without a bottom. NOT this day!
Today we listen to thunder boomers and watch to the first torrential spring rain!
Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy::skipper:

IMG_E7784.JPG
The Revenue Cutter got her laser etched grating and skylight replaced with PE bits. Her forward hatch is in place as well. If I sealed the wood deck she would be ready to mold.

Thanks for looking in!

IMG_E7824.JPGIMG_E7825.JPG
2 of 3 working Schooner deckhouses are ready for clearcoat and molding. The other is the modern deckhouse for our "Wind Breaker" luxury schooner. I did her roof and added the life raft canisters today. The roof is a separate part from the rest of the superstructure.

This set will include 2 schooner models. Bluenose or Jimmy Buffett's Lucretia with more contemporary small boats and the 93-footer with parts to build Wind Breaker or a working schooner of the same dimensions.

I decided to honor good ol' Stan Rogers and name the smaller schooner "Antelope" for the fictitious boat in his classic Canadian folk song "Barrett's Privateers". Yes, Stan's cracked 4-pounders will be included in the kit. I have come late to enjoying Stan's music. He was a truly talented Man. His velvet baritone helps ease the anxiety of our modern world.
"Oh I wish I was in Sherbrooke now....."

Thanks for looking in!

Back