• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Well that's just cool as Hell! Ship guys are few. We must stick together, don't you agree?!
We didn't have a camera in our pockets back then. I never even thought about taking pictures either🤔. It looked kind of like the African Queen. Or a steam launch. It belched black sooty smoke, and leaked badly. We could only stay out for a couple of hours before having to head back, and hook up the pumps...lol.
Jake named it "Steamer Ruth" I have searched the internet looking for a photo of it with no luck.

20210705_133955.jpg
After much over-thinking I finally have a suitable scale engine room skylight for CSS Alabama! Gator Glue continues to very useful for all kinds of bits in this scale!

Thanks for looking in! :salute:

20210717_113740.jpg
I bought some 3D printed 1/500 24-pound guns. Should the Modeler chose to make a 1/350 75-foot Privateer, the guns translate mathematically to Long 18-pound cannon in 1/350 scale.
20210717_185326.jpg
Should a modeler choose the 1/700 150' vessel, I added Captain's salon windows to the stern of the Universal Hull Master. The idea is, that it's easier to remove unwanted detail, than it is to dig out your PEE scraps and add them.
I was making ready to mold a bunch of stuff today, but realized I am almost out of RTV mold material. OOPS!!:smack:
Thanks for looking in! :notworthy

20210821_123400.jpg
USRC Caleb Cushing's master got submerged in Moldmaster 10 RTV this afternoon. 5 other smaller molds are curing under pressure too! The CT-56 and 60' Sailboats and parts mold for the "Wind Breaker" sloop, The trusty old Mirro-matic is holding 58 PSI.
Now it's a question of waiting until tomorrow to find out how I did!
Thanks for looking in!
20210821_135504.jpg
This represents the last (I hope!) parts mold for my goofy Universal Hull ship model kit. The main hull is sure to be molded soon.
Thanks for looking in!

20210822_142325.jpg
USRC cutter Caleb Cushing LIVES!! I added the Afrikan Queen to C.C.'s mold, since I won't be using the original USS Carondelet mold anymore. Another small rocky island and a short section of dock were added. I hate to waste space in a mold, but I don't want to overcrowd them either.
20210822_142410.jpg
My interpretation of a 1986 CT-56 Ketch and more contemporary 56 LOA Yacht. The CT was patterned after the ketch "Nauti Dogs" on YouTube's Sailing Doodles channel, however, she differs. "Nauti Dogs" was damaged at sea in a mishap during a storm and sold. Captain White went over to the powerboat world and I stopped watching. The romance of a ship under sail upon the sparkling blue sea is so majestic to me. As a sailboat skipper myself, civilian powerboats do not possess the same mystique to me.
20210822_142513.jpg
1/700-1/350 "Universal Hull" ship model parts. The 1/350 PTF-style bridge, roof, ammo boxes and 1.1 MG quad-mount accompany the 1/700 schooner-privateer style deckhouse, hatches and ladder access bits. I'm still trying to figure out the 40mm and .50 caliber guns for the 1/350 Fast Patrol Gunboat (Or whatever you want to make with Her!) parts. Some left to dream up and mold.
20210822_142643.jpg
More Parts!
1/700 Wind Breaker modern luxury sloop/Canadian War of 1812 (fictitious) privateer Antelope inspired by Stan Rogers song "Barrett's Privateers" Find 30-foot cutters, 4 pound (?) cannons and deckhouse for the Antelope sloop.
Modern comfy superstructure and roof for the decadent, yet swift and graceful "Wind Breaker" sloop. The hull for this model is still building along with Angus Walter's Nova Scotia schooner "Bluenose".

Bluenose will also double for "Lucretia" from Jimmy Buffett's book with modern small boats, winches, lifeboat cannisters, radars and different deck hatches in this scale. I will confess, Lucretia will be 8-scale feet too long.

Pouring and casting molds allows me the satisfaction of feeling as if I made a little progress on lots of projects, rather than having a bench full of unfinished small scale vessels laugh at me!
20210821_192014.jpg
Cheers from the summery prairie!!
Thanks for looking in!!

20210904_105020.jpg20210904_101337.jpg
Pulpit railing and masts for the CT56. The Yacht will have the wind on her beam, hard over and going like a house afire. You know, 14-15 knots. Really flying for a sailboat! Coffee filters soaked in Knox gelatin will make up sails for my blow-boat projects.
Thanks for looking in!

Driving to Marion yesterday to visit Family from Up North, I worked out the geometry of cutting out wind filled sails. :facepalm:
USRC Caleb Cushing is my most impressive casting to date. The vessel herself is just a little hiccup in the history of the War of Northern Aggression. It's like me to pick out the minutia of Naval history.
Thanks Men, for your comments and encouragement.

20210906_111805.jpg
If you decide your yacht must heel over, I advise gluing on a strip of plastic card, and sanding to shape from there. Filling and sanding is time consuming. She got her mast this morning. 'Tis fine day for tiny sailboats!

20210914_174646.jpg
I wonder about having external framework for CSS Alabama's gun ports. References are unclear one way or another. I figure it would be a lot easier to "Open her out" if a guy knew where they are, since the hull will cast with gun ports closed. Both Raiders got their external hull rub rails. CSS Florida's gun ports will get the same treatment to add to Confederate Navy waterline model fun!
Top rails next!
Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy::skipper::Drinks:

20210918_115637.jpg20210918_133303.jpg
Party balloon attack! CSS Alabama's external gun port framing is complete. Adding the .015 X .040 rail caps. This is usually one continuous piece of plastic, but today the complex curves at the bow and stern lent themselves to heating and shaping two railing pieces. A small flaw in the after portside hull from where I heated and wrapped the Evergreen strip around her stern surfaced, so that is under repair. Alabama's bowsprit was inaccurate. Chop it off and do it properly!
It's a little like listening to The Highwaymen. "Again, and again and again and again..................."
New bowsprit, catheads and other dinky details, coming right up!

Thanks for looking in!
:salute::oldguy:Confederate emoji..png

Last edited:
20210918_205452.jpg
After all my dicking around with curved rail caps, I noticed CSS Alabama's foc'sle came to a point! SOoooooooooooooo...........
Limits of detail in my favorite scale won't allow for much accuracy in the ornate scroll work on Alabama's bowsprit. Perhaps it will be painted on, rather than part of the casting. She's beginning to look more like a dinky "Shark of the Confederacy". Captain Raphael Semmes is certainly laughing at me from his place in the Hereafter!
I am grateful to all my M/A brothers for enduring my endless posts and narrative. :notworthy
Have fun!
Don't hurt yourself!
Don't do dumb stuff!

Back