• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

Thanks Men! I appreciate your kindnesses! Both the Nancy Schooner and CSS Florida are expected to be some of my best models.

I commented to Mark Karolus (Finescale Models ship reviewer and good friend) after he accused me of being a "skilled artisan",

"Skilled Artisan"?!? Me?! I appreciate your opinion, as I consider you an Expert on this subject.
If I had one brain in my ol' noggin, I would paint the Masters and build just the one for me that I want. I wouldn't expend the effort or expense on molding, casting, instructions, decals, metal bits and box art. All that stuff is a gigantic pain in the ass and I still end up with just the one model ship built. BUT! I cain't help myself! So I gotta do all the TLAR stuff. I hope I have improved since 2015. I believe I have.

I will confess I like writing instructions. Like a funny letter to a friend I haven't met yet. I love when people say "How can you do all that teeny detail?" It seems easy to me and I enjoy doing it, but the truth is, any modeler that wanted to could do the same thing. I never did do one special thing."

It is a big deal to have support of my Sweetie. Even when she has no idea what a Confederate Raider or a Schooner is, she always has a compliment or a positive comment. She loves the majesty of a sailing ship, flying before the wind. She never infers I should surrender my brain-vacation for other, more social activities. Teresa is a keeper!

20211214_230408.jpg
CSS Florida's Master is almost finished! Comparing references will decide if She needs coal scuttles in this scale. The mounting points for ratlines/rigging are oversized on purpose so a guy can sand/trim them to the proper size with the P/E ratlines installed.

Barrett's Antelope sloop is still building.
Thanks again for looking in!
:salute:
:skipper:
:oldguy:

Molding Day! More teensie modelmaking silliness!! :silly:

20220123_091205.jpg
Universal Hull parts and hull, USS Carondelet's small boats, Japanese "Pleasure House" with Tiki Bar and deck, a lumpy island, Modified Skywave Quonset hut and vehicles and some super-secret parts another Model Maniac asked me to try to reproduce.
20220123_103841.jpg
Molds are poured, vibrated (to get air bubbles out) and in the original pressure pot at 60 PSI. Demolding masters tomorrow will tell the Tale!
Thanks again for looking in!!
:skipper:

20220124_190042.jpg
It occurred to me that the County wind chill map looked a little like Old Man Winter giving us an icy Bird. I DID mention that winter is the best time to make molds and castings because the humidity is so low.
20220124_164217.jpg20220124_233601.jpg
The hull and the associated model bits of the Universal Hull kit cast pretty well. Where will your ship model imagination take you? 1/350 75-foot anything? OR 1/700 150 foot anything?
20220124_233338.jpg20220124_232831.jpg20220124_232220.jpg
In truth, not a civil war subject, but I hesitate to start up another thread for whatever Naval small craft base I may or may not be
concocting. This is a 1/700 Pacific theater seaside "Pleasure House". Corner Tiki Bar and generous deck for enjoying adult beverages and second story for enjoying other "adult" activities. :coolio2:

Skywave's Quonset hut with appropriate island modifications, assorted land vehicles that may or may not populate any US Navy small craft island. I just couldn't help myself. A decent casting of the teeny Jeep seemed less than likely. SURPRISE!!
The little lumpy island is "just 'cuz." In truth, I found a chunk of random jobsite debris and modified it.:silly:

Who knows what model madness may be lurking in the warped mind of your Serial Small Scale poster? :bm:
MUHHU HAHAHA Haha HA!
(Jim Davis DO!)
Thanks again for lookin' in!

Looking great for beeing nail heads :) honestly, I said it before, this is far too tiny, it's incredible

20220126_172818.jpg20220126_203512.jpg
I hunted and hunted for the mold I made that held the scale 18 pounders for the Universal Hull set. Along the way I found a couple of unidentified molds from the early days (2015) of TLAR Models. I was casting anyway. Lets see what these are! One was an Egg-Doffin/Laughing Schwertfisch attempt. A FAIL! See?! MUTANTS!

One other was 2 1/350 Great White sharks for my Orca kit! YAY!
Nostalgia aside, I threw the old wrinkled mold in the burn trash. I did find the cannon/boat mold, cast it and marked it.
20220129_071732.jpg20220129_072051.jpg
I got really excited about finally having all the major resin parts for the Universal Hull set together. A 3D printed 1/350 40mm gun comes with it, for all you Gunboat people! Heaven alone knows what other unpictured pieces of ship will make it into the set!
CSS Alabama's crows nests at least, for sailing ship enthusiasts. Metal parts will include enough copper rod for masts, bowsprit and yardarms for a swift privateer schooner, screw sloop or whatever vessel you can imagine!
Mine will be cut and sanded at the waterline. I don't usually do Bottoms.

Thanks for riding along!

20220205_101218.jpg
What is Rhiner up to this time?!? :bm:
20220205_152821.jpg
Based on the Forrest Gump inspired "birthplace" of TLAR Models, this shouldn't be much of a surprise. The universal hull isn't truly appropriate for a 75-foot shrimp trawler. Still...
I may have said something silly like "I'm done making parts for this set" at some point in the past. :drool:
There are lots of interesting details on a trawler deckhouse I didn't do in 1/700 scale. This will be FUN!
Who knows? Perhaps one day I will be the Toast of Darien, Georgia. Maybe Bayou Le Batre' Alabama too! :dance:

And as always, I thank you for your support!

20220220_124215.jpg
I wondered aloud again today when ideas for the Universal Hull kit would stop. I think this is it. Navigation radar mount, navigation lights and stiffener plates for the main mast stanchions on the roof. Intake trunking for the engine room, hand rails and frames for hatches are installed.
20220220_150011.jpg
I improved one of the 2015 winches which was way overscale in 1/700 scale. That'll do!
20220220_155142.jpg20220220_155127.jpg
Then it was "Winder Day". Life rings went on with Future too!
20220220_161205.jpg
Bringing us, at long last to THIS! The final mold for this project. To make double sure this set didn't try to rent additional space in my addled ol' head, I put the hull away. :bang head
Time to celebrate!! :yipee::drunks: :drink
:drunksailor:

Thanks guys!
20220222_145129.jpg20220222_145122.jpg
And now, back to the Confederate Raiders:
Having molded the dinky parts for Frank's Apache model, I figured I could mold about any-fargin'-thang. Ice/Sleet/Snow came. Modeling occurred. Fighting top masters for sailing ship masts. I needed them for CSS's Alabama and Florida. These will also serve well on other sailing subjects.
God his ownself cain't say how many of those there may be.

Once I figure out what to do about the 14 winders/ports on Alabama's stern, she will almost be ready to mold. :bm:

:capsmiley:

20221003_011059.jpg
USRC Caleb Cushing is beginning to get her masts & sails. She's my first cutter-rigged ship. The top gallant sail on the foremast and a foretop yardarm and full sized sail without a fore main yard that make the cutters of the Revenue Service swift even in light wind. Her cannon will be mounted primed and ready to engage.

My diagram shows 1 large head sail. There will be a lot of "traffic" on the foremast! Lt. James Read could certainly have done some serious harm to Union shipping had his bold attempt to capture Cushing succeeded.
20221005_140302.jpg
I did some casting to fill out needed parts of TLAR sets that suddenly starting selling on Hobby Swap. I went to pressurize the poured molds. When I returned to the Nut Department a determined kitty had butted the door open and scattered 10 small projects on his way to look out the winder.
The turret and 40mm cannon for USS Defiance remain MIA. I most thoroughly chewed out the likeliest feline suspect. :vmad: :bat
No firearms were employed during the disciplinary process.

20221013_192619.jpg
Accurate 36 star flags for Union vessels, US Coast Guard flags for the Revenue Cutters, Confederate naval ensigns, battle flag and navy jack for the bow of Southern ships.
OH! This is four sets! I print these on white decal paper that says you don't have to clear-coat the decals. I remain a bit skeptical until I try them.

Back