• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Confederate Raiders CSS Alabama, CSS Florida

20211101_185912.jpg
A car ride and a weekend out at play with my Sweetie helped find the afterdeck bulwark solution. This time I took a picture!
20211101_211546.jpg20211101_215823.jpg20211101_211736.jpg20211101_211744.jpg
A small yard inspector dropped buy to check on workmanship and quality of the main deck and bulwarks aboard S.S. Oreto. I can only assume she was sent over by the Miller & Sons Company. She gave Hull #290 a good going over as well. If Her findings were other than satisfactory, no mention of such was made. Federal agents watch the construction of both steamships with great interest.
Resized95received95404888871281826.jpg
We hope your Halloween was safe and happy! Fili-Be-Boni-Mi-Biskie! Go in Peace. Be safe from evil!

Awesome work Chris, just how thin is that bulwark?
.015" X .80" tall. 10 1/2 scale inches. Gun port frames and internal ribs add 7 more scale inches. I prefer .010 styrene sheet, however it splits when you work it and flexes when filled and sanded on a long, sweeping deck.
The finished bulwark will be 6 1/2 scale feet tall. The 2.0 hull should mold and cast very nicely.

20211104_170914.jpg
So it begins (again)! Marking the main deck for major details. Starting with the masts and stacks, everything else will reference from these prominent items. The fold in the middle of the drawing gave me some fits. Math proves the scale of the drawing and the accuracy of my scale. Puzzled over it for quite some time! :doh:

Without a cease construction order from Morris & Sons co. dinky inspector, work goes forward.
20211107_111923.jpg20211107_112054.jpg
Bowsprits begin. Just basic chunks of plastic to be carefully shaped when the cement cures out.
Stern profiles in progress. I am unsure what will become of the little Sloop/Brig hull. I put the wood decking on her, so SOMETHING must be done. Inside bulwark braces will be added after I choose how many gun ports She needs.
20211106_185939.jpg
I bought some new, exciting Skywave 1/700 bits from HLJ. In the new WWII Airfield accessory set were Quonset huts, bulldozers, Graders and trucks of different sorts. I wanted my Quonset hut to be on pilings and have a nice front porch and steps. So it DO! This isn't my intellectual property in whole, so I won't be selling any of the castings of this. For a waterline PT Boat forward base, a guy might need 6 or so of these.
"But what of the waterline PT boats Rhino?" :drool:
Patience, my friends. Rest assured, my Micro Model Madness syndrome knows almost NO bounds. :stinker:
:lol:Higgins and Elco and Vosper, OH MY!:lol:
Thanks again for looking in!

They Were Expendable...I always thought the scene with the PT boat on a trailer being hauled to the inland lake would be neat, but couldn't imagine doing it in 1:35. Not to plant any ideas or nothin...

A PT Boat with a BOTTOM? Silly Pup, I don't do bottoms.
Well, just the one time, by request, with the US Coast Guard. I guess the Universal Hull kit is a full hull as well.
You just wait and see what interesting stuff might come out of my molds! Some of them are classified. :bm:
20211113_104205.jpg20211113_110538.jpg
CSS Florida's gun ports are framed and installing the ribs on the inside of the bulwark has begun. I black Sharpied the cannon ports so I would put any of the teeny ribs in them by mistake. :bash:

20211119_110920.jpg
The final two stiffeners/ribs/braces going on. These get really hum-drum after a while. (Nah nah nah Nah, :bash::bash:, Nah nah nah Hah, :bash::bash:) Having made myself the custodian of Naval Minutia, no reasonable detail will be omitted!!
Framing the outside of the gun ports should go a little quicker. There are only 18 of them. :bm:

That's what I thought you were doing. more control than cutting the head off a sowing needle trick I do. Nice!

20211124_134205.jpg20211125_134424.jpg
Party Balloon attack weathered once again! Rail top is on. This completes this CSS Florida's major hull assembly. Still details to fit to the master. A few more items to measure and add. "Reasonable detail" needs to be satisfied. In this scale I lack the skill to make a perfect model. I omit things so they won't overly complicate the completed casting. The idea is to make an historical kit that is more fun and less of a pain the ass to actually assemble and display. (If that can be said of ANY sailing ship model!) The Bowsprit. Not my strongest suit. Only 2 more 1/700 sailing ship masters to make.

The plan for the Confederate Raiders set has always been to offer them in 2 forms. The deluxe kit with p/e ratlines and turned brass masts and the basic kit without metal parts.

I still build them all to write the instructions and record the measurements of mast, yardarm, boom and spar. That's when the REAL fun starts! I try not to get ahead of myself. It ain't easy!
Thanks again for looking in! :salute::oldguy::capsmiley:

20211127_125506.jpg
See here CSS Florida 2.0, almost full circle from the beginning of the do-over. The parts from the original version are installed and they fit! :yipee:
The foredeck is complete with a few more features to add to the afterdeck. CSS Alabama's 9 inch Dahlgren pivot guns will be altered to serve as Florida's 7-inch Blakely rifled cannons. (The gray resin cannon.) The 18-pound (Black) gun is only there as a reference. More work still to do on external hull details.
I would comment that all this progress was made without one drop of Rum. I tried to have me a bubbly cold drinkie the other night, but it tasted funny. Covid wasn't nearly as bad as it might have been. Quarantine is done tomorrow!

Confederate emoji..png:oldguy::salute:

That looks magnificent! I do have to ask, how does the cannon fire over the rails? They seem to be quite tall for them to shoot out. Do these guns elevate too for plunging fire?

CSS Florida had 18 gun ports that could be opened out for battle. My version of the storied Confederate Raider will be molded and cast with her gun ports closed. She carried 6 more 6" rifled Blakely guns on carriages, 3 on each side. It is up to the modeler to choose and open his gun ports out. The pivot guns could be elevated but they would usually fire through their ports near the stacks. See?! Naval combat during the 1860's occurred at much shorter ranges than in more modern times.
20211204_121442.jpg
A little more progress on the after deck structures.
Now, along a little different line of this same thread, USRC Caleb Cushing is getting masts!
20211204_114855.jpg20211204_112814.jpg
Main boom, main mast, fore mast and bowsprit, respectively. Paint and assembly coming up! The Cushing's construction will be simplified with ratlines, not much rigging and without Her sails.
Thanks again for looking in!:salute::oldguy::skipper:

20211205_155457.jpg
CSS Florida's deck structures are complete. Perfect Pajama Sunday lent itself to model progress for the Confederate Navy.
I acknowledge that I may be a "serial poster". I won't drone on and on about every dinky detail. That being said,
See the little white box up forward? Then, two, the small cabinet lookin' thing on the rail, near the stern of the ship? My drawing calls those out as "Water Closets". You know, Terlits! So I have finished the "plumbing" on CSS Florida!:yipee::lol::tomato:
Not too many more external hull details left to add before CSS Florida can be molded. Thanks to all my model brethren who have endured the entire process of my efforts to produce this little known piece of naval history! The real fun begins when I get to build that first casting and sail off over the horizon in search of Yankee ships bursting with gold and all the jewels of Arabie! Then burn them and sink every one of 'em!

That rotten Captain Napoleon Collins won't never capture MY ship. I will order all guns primed, loaded and run out, even in a neutral port! :batfencing:
Thanks again for looking in! :salute::oldguy::capsmiley:

Back