• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Asheville Class Patrol Gunboat

Sure enuf! A VAQ-130 EA-6B! An homage. :notworthy
You can really tell where the faults are, when you shoot the first coat of paint.
The forward 40mm gun barrel took a powder, so you see a new one. The '40 mounts need more work. The mast & radar drive came out ok. My windscreen is too big, but I'm going with it. So far, I am liking the PTF! :v
IMG_4585.JPG

"The Bitchin' Witch" is wearing Her new twin .50 mounts. The forward one is from finemolds. the after one is Hasegawa p/e part. I think I prefer the finemolds .50 caliber guns. Anything is better than the clunky Skywave guns. :pinch:
IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4589.JPG

Lots of company. I've been decaling like a Mad Martigan! :pilot
IMG_4590.JPG

The Ea-6B Prowler, for Helios is 1/350. (No, She's not a Black Raven ship) the VX-4 Black Bunny Phantom II is also 1/350. The Buck Rogers Starfighter is 1/285, everything else is 1/700 scale. Believe it or not, the PTF's dingy is too big. They carried them between the after 40mm gun, and the engineering hatch. I'll work on it some more. :pinch: :bang head :captain :pilot

The Ea-6B Prowler, for Helios is 1/350. (No, She's not a Black Raven ship) the VX-4 Black Bunny Phantom II is also 1/350. The Buck Rogers Starfighter is 1/285, everything else is 1/700 scale. Believe it or not, the PTF's dingy is too big. They carried them between the after 40mm gun, and the engineering hatch. I'll work on it some more. :pinch: :bang head :captain :pilot

B) (y)

Progress has slowed on the PG, as I am waiting to make one big mold for all my upgraded 1/700 stuff, The fixed PG Hull, The shrimp boat parts, maybe even the dingy for the PTF. My "helper" and I painted some Sunburst,(She's a SLOB!!) and then she inspected the PG!
IMG_4591.JPG

After 40mm. gun tub inspection;
IMG_4592.JPG

Stern to stem. Defiance seemed to pass muster!
IMG_4594.JPG

:captain

Itook a break from Resin casting :silly: to do some actual fun model making! USS Defiance gets Her smoke generator, and the little ladder she carried alongside the 40mm gun tub. Jon Bond, of Plastic Surgeons M3 Honey fame, has been fixing his teeny p/e details with "Varnish" Future. So that's how I stuck the lil' ladder on! You get more time, and control than with super-gel glue. The boat in the background is a USCG Point Class 82-footer, another TLAR 1/700 Kit in progress. :skipper
IMG_4816.JPG

You never know where Inspiration will come from! Somebody built a wooden 4-foot long Asheville PGM, and brought it to our LHS for display. I realized the hull profile of my Lil' USS Defiance needed work!
Soooooooooo.....................

h4f3fb66.JPG

I went to work! Added some forecastle detail. I plan to re-do the ready ammo lockers and deck hatches.
She's got "Hips" where the V-12 Cummins diesel engines are in the engineering spaces.

Model MOJO on the rampage again!! :bang head :rotf :bang head :drinks :drunk

You never know where Inspiration will come from! Somebody built a wooden 4-foot long Asheville PGM, and brought it to our LHS for display. I realized the hull profile of my Lil' USS Defiance needed work!
Soooooooooo.....................

h4f3fb66.JPG

I went to work! Added some forecastle detail. I plan to re-do the ready ammo lockers and deck hatches.
She's got "Hips" where the V-12 Cummins diesel engines are in the engineering spaces.

Model MOJO on the rampage again!! :bang head :rotf :bang head :drinks :drunk

I like curvy girls... :coolio

Having gotten the plan view close, I thought I mught want to make sure the Bow/sheer line profiles more closely match the actual Vessel.
h436341c.JPG

Black marker to establish the baseline, then gently shape until pleased! :yipee
h38b7ed3.JPG

It seemed a shame not to mold/cast my accurized hull. I'm making a new superstructure Master too.
I have a whole bunch of inaccurate 1/700 Asheville Class PG castings. Anyone interested in stuff I cain't bring myself to throw away? Wanna :bang head :gogo :bang head :drinks :gogo :bang head :stinker along with me?!?
P/M me I'll mail some to you!

And if you DID, no one could see it well enough to find many flaws! "Pup, you have discovered the allure of Micro-waterline modeling!

Shhhh! don't tell anyone! :bat

If the mold cures out THIS time, your 1/700 S.S. Minnow could easily set sail for Her new Home port in a couple of weeks!

hf443260.JPG

I know there are more technical, priceier tools to apply C/A Glue. I've used this for Years, and had good results!
Hull shaping continues. I didn't like "down by the Head" look of USS Defiance. Bits of .20 & .15 evergreen, and filler raised Her bow to a more purposeful looking angle
h3418885.JPG

New superstructure Master. new intake trunk. I'm adding details for modelers. Less fuss to make a better Asheville Class PG! I've gotta schmush that ladder down before it hits the mold! :bang head

Back