• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Asheville Class Patrol Gunboat

A US Navy Asheville Class PG hull goes to Virginia tomorrow to make sure the decals will fit.
The decal sheet will cover all 17 Ashevilles in US NAVY Vietnam Era Service.

I'm building USS Defiance PG-95 like the classic 1/131 Revell kit I had when I was a kid! :captain
:yipee

hb058c2f.JPG

I drilled & installed my turned brass gun barrel, the attached the targeting radar dish. I think it would have been easier to attach the radar first, then drill the hole for the gun barrel, and install it. I like to drill a metal shaft in these parts for handle to hang on to while I work on each piece. Yes, the Turret rotates as well! :rotf
h0b9bce4.JPG

h18473fb.JPG

I molded and cast one of the scratch-built 40mm guns I'm using on a 1/700 PTF-3 "Fast & Nasty" boat. The base is a little too big for USS Defiance, but a bit of sanding helped it fit! Sand the reciever flush and drill a #78 hole, to accept the brass gun barrel.

Clean up the small boat, bend a wee tad of .015 copper wire for the hoist, attach a generic main mast and fix the forward searchlight platform, and Voila'!

h4a8042e.JPG

The assembled parts of the 1/700 US Navy Asheville class PG waterline kit!! Paint comes next! I await word on the decal sheet!

I just realized you have been stuck in teeny gear for two years. :blink

Glad you're having fun with it.

:drinks

I have a whole bunch of ideas for TLAR Models. 1/700 CSS Alabama, CSS Florida, CSS Arkansas, 110-foot commercial Trawler, 1/350 Full-Hull Point Class WPB (By request), Egg-Dolphins for Chibi Maru Egg-ship model kits.....

Once I open the mold max & liquid plastic stuff, you gotta GO before it spoils.

Dad's Mustang languishes on it's back waiting for neutral gray paint. Paint Night is coming soon!
Ironic, I have a house full of nice model kits, and I choose to knock together small miniatures out of bits of Evergreen styrene & resin scraps and improve existing Masters/Molds. TLAR Kits are constantly evolving!

It is MY Island!

Thank you, Men for looking in. Even if you recognize Eccentricity in it's most obvious manifestation! :rotf :bang head :dance :stinker :drinks :bat :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

hf482410.JPG

The decal sheets came today!! :yipee
Mark at Starfighter Decals has impressed me yet again!! :zen Decals cover all 17 commissioned Asheville Gunboats.
This is a picture of the 1/700 US Navy Asheville class PG waterline resin kit contents.

All I have to do now is get off my butt, finish my own 1/700 USN PG, and wrap up the instructions. :silly:
I wonder if anyone else builds all of the kits they make themselves? :hmmm :idonno

Very nice work Chris ... If I ever get into z-scale model railroading I could use these in a Dio/module ... Now I'll be very interested in the CSS Boats ... :skipper Don't forget the CSS Texas ... she had Four Springfield rifles on Her ... :captain

ha958269.jpg

Mark Tutton or Starfighter Decals has amazed me again!
I have no words to saw how pleased I am with his handywork! :good: :notworthy

Thanks Franklin!
It is fun and this Kit is selling exceptionally well! :yipee
If I sell all the Asheville class PG kits on hand, TLAR Models will be "in the black" for 2017. Materials, decals, tools and parts: Paid for!!
It is a nice little Model.

hccdf686.JPG

This is how many molds can be poured with 30ml. of resin.
Thanks for looking in!
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:pilot

Yep! She's been consistently standing up to 60 psi. It was a HUGE surprise to have it work this well.

hfdee735.JPG

Painted, clear coated turret.

ha403c9b.JPG

dark gray on horizontal surfaces. Lookie how the detail pops out! I'm well pleased with this mold!!
Thanks for looking in!!

Back