• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya N1K1 Rex floatplane.

nerdling

So I've been having a terrible year of building and took a break for a bit. But decided to get back into it with a nice easy Tamiya kit. Just started working on her today.

IMG_3669.jpg

Didn't do much to the engine since most of it will be hidden under the spinner.

IMG_3672.jpg

The beaching dolley. Still needs paint

IMG_3673.jpg

Main float. Tamiya was nice enough to include a weight for the front of it.

IMG_3670.jpg

The finished cockpit. Hardly any of this will be seen in the tight cockpit opening. But straight from the box it sure looks nice.

IMG_3671.jpg

Another view of the cockpit.

More photos to come as I truck along.

Well I kind of forgot to get some more progress photos. But it now has paint on it and I am trying out the tape pulling method for weathering lol. What do you guys think so far? Not sure if I should go further or just leave it as is. This whole experiment started when I pulled the masking off of the floats and noticed what it did to the bottom of them. So I just figured why not and went for it.

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

Hey..I like it! That's one method I know I can master with no trouble. you go Ryan, really does look good. :pilot

Ryan,
In answer to your question on the amount of paint chipping, the Japanese Navy aircraft usually had primer put on them before they were painted so I don't think there would be very many bare metal patches where the paint had come off. I have seen photographs of some of the Japanese floatplanes where the finish was very heavily weathered and some of the camouflage paint was badly faded out which allowed the primer to show through.
I tried to look up more information on the Rex in my Japanese Interior colors book by Robert Mikesh but the Rex was not mentioned too much because of a lack of reliable information on that aircraft.
Not sure if you have heard of a website called j-aircraft.com, they might be able to answer your question about the Rex much better than I can.

Looking forward to the finished model.

Matrixone

I really like the paint chipping effect!

Also, its a great plane! But, I do have a soft spot for the floaters!

Nice job nerdling!

Back