• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya A6M5 (Quarterscale or smaller Madness)

Looking good. The chipping looks about right, along panels and blast tubes. Maybe a bit on the leading edge of the cowling?
James

Looking good. The chipping looks about right, along panels and blast tubes. Maybe a bit on the leading edge of the cowling?
James

Thanks guys. James I did some along the leading edge but for some reason it didn't really show that well in the photos.

Quick update for today. Have the first layer on paint on her. Went with Testors Aluminum plate. Doesn't have to be pretty since it will get covered up with another layer of Tamiya Hull red and finally IJN Green.

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

Well kind of a brick red actually. From pictures I've seen it looks like Zeros had a reddish brown primer. Some good photos on this build http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/zerojv_1.htm

Have the next layer of paint on. I went with Tamiya hull red. I think it captures the reddish primer seen on Japanese planes fairly well. I went a bit blotchy with it hoping it might give the base colors a bit of difference.

IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

Well I finished her up a few days ago and today was the first decent day for photos. Still working on taking nice pictures but I will eventually get it figured out. The red primer really didn't work out well. It just came off with the green when I tried to weather the plane. Next time I think I will try some Krylon brick red that I have. I hand painted the yellow area on the wings. This kit was very nice to work with. I was also going to try my first dot filter but ran out of flat clear acrylic so had to dig up an old spray bomb of testors. I didn't want to use oil paints with lacquer in case something went all weird. Well what do you guys think.

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

Thanks guys. I initially though I went overboard on the leading edge. But then figured this plane was taking off from runways made out of sand and crushed up coral.

Back