• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Monogram Phantom

dollar19

To keep killing time until I get a doctor's release to return to work, I thought I might as well pull this one back out and try to finish it.
All the major assemblies are done and a little minor painting here and there.
IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

I came up with a plan to give the impression that there is something down the intake trunk more than the blank plate the Monogram molded in there so i came up with this.
IMG_1513.jpg

not a great picture, the camera couldn't find the focus. But I hope you get the idea.
Thank for looking
Greg

I spent some time masking inside the intakes and stuffing them with tissue, then headed for the cellar to shoot some black onto the canopy. Tomorrow gloss gull gray...

Happy Long Holiday Weekend everyone!

It's been a bit but I have a little more to show on the Phantom. Got some topside Light Gull Gray on and the Gloss White on the bottom and all the under wing stuff. I still have to mask and paint the nose and all the burnt metal on the back end but it's moving along slow but sure.
IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

Thanks for looking
Greg

VMFA 542 Tigers . A US MARINES squadron out of Danang in 1966.
Bf%20110%20003.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

Got a little more done today. I would have done more but my daughter and grandson invited us to go boating........
Sit at home or hit the lake? I really struggled with that decision. :laugh:
IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Maybe more to show tomorrow......
Greg

Really nice! My fave Bird in my fave color scheme!

I really like the Hi-visibility marking don thru the 60's My dad used to say it haf NAVY of MARINES or a Big Star on the side so there was no doubt who was bombing ya!

Moving along to the port side. Now I'm just having fun, stencil city from the 30 plus year old Monogram sheet. Believe it or not they are behaving nicely. Just as well be decals, as everything else about this build has been an exercise in frustration.
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

After the painting debacle, I have now lost one of the main gear retraction struts....... Both my wife (sweetest woman in the world) and myself crawled around for an hour looking for it. Gone..... Zip...... Nada!!
I may try to fabricate something resembling it's mate or throw the other one out and go with that.

This build has been haunted I tell you ......HAUNTED!

Edit: Retraction strut has been found!! :yipee

Very nice and neat.... Gonna have to throw a handful of something at it to make it look like it's a Marine bird .

I've never seen one that was remotely clean unless it was . On a pedestal... :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

As badly as I goofed up the paint job weathering is a must! Most Marine F-4s in Nam were CAS birds, with little down time for cosmetic niceties. Mud movers took a beating so yeah it'll get nastied up a bit.

Back