• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:48 Hurricane

ij001

Hurribox.jpg

I love this moving house/hemisphere thing. Found this whilst I was sorting boxes out a few weeks back. Finally got around to opening it last night. Inside I found:

The kit (obviously)
Quickboost drop tanks
Quickboost Hispano Type 2 cannon barrels
Ultracast armoured seat
Ultracast exhausts
Falcon canopy
and the Eduard Zoom set and canopy masks.

And best of all, the cockpit had been sprayed and 80% of the Zoom set had been done :yipee What a result. So just two hours after opening the box I got to this point:

Hurri2a.jpg

Hurri2b.jpg

Ready for filling and sanding, hopefully tonight. If you like pictures of 1:48 cockpits (and I know I do), here's what it looked like before I cemented it into place:

Hurri1a.jpg

Hurri1b.jpg

Hurri1c.jpg

Hurri1d.jpg

Love opening these boxes, just never know what you're going to find. As ever thanks for taking the time to look and happy to answer any questions, comments, suggestions and criticism.

AFN

Ian

Well yes, now that you mention it, it does need a little filler here and there !! :hmmm

Hurri3a.jpg

Hurri3b.jpg

Well at least it's ready for undercoating now !!

Ian

Fair bit of progress...

After undercoating the whole in Humbrol #78 (RAF cockpit green) earlier in the week, this afternoon, I added some pre-shading:

Hurri4a.jpg

Hurri4b.jpg

Hurri4c.jpg

First I lightly sprayed the panel lines with Tamiya 'Panzer Grey' acrylic, then inside the panels with Tamiya 'Buff'. Then went back, turned the pressure right down and carefully re-defined the panel lines with 'Panzer Grey again and finally outlined the hinge lines with flat black. I'll leave it for a week or so now before starting to lay down the camouflage.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. AFN.

Ian

I really find it interesting how you pre shade. I have never had any luck at it. Will have to try again after watching this.
:popcorn
James

Wow :woohoo: , Look at all this paint I'm spraying around !!

Hurri5a.jpg

Hurri5b.jpg

Hurri6a.jpg

Hurri6b.jpg

The pre-shading has come-thru far more restrained than I was originally aiming for, but perhaps that's a good thing. Looks good to my eye. More after the weekend.

Ian

I have never had luck with preshading, guess I go too heavy on the base coat. Post shading works well for me, can always and and take some away.

Looks like you've nailed it Ian :popcorn

Ian,
I like the colored pre-shading you have done, on my two builds of Japanese planes I will be doing nearly the same thing with different shades of green and blue on the uppersurfaces.

Matrixone

Moved on some more. No pics yet but the topside camo is just about done now. Pics at the end of the week, I hope.

Ian

Hurri7a.jpg

Hurri7b.jpg

Hurri7c.jpg

The Xtracolour Dark Earth was sprayed a few days ago, then masked 48hrs later. This afternoon I made time to go back over the pre-shaded area with a second pass, this time using a dark red-brown for the panel lines and 'Sky' for the centres. Next I'll shoot two thin coats of Xtracolour Dark Green. I'll follow a similar process with the Spitfires in due course.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look, and I'll try to answer all comments, questions and criticism.

AFN

Ian

As I mentioned, unexpected afternoon off, so had a 'green day':

Hurri8a.jpg

Hurri8b.jpg

Hurri8c.jpg

Hurri8d.jpg

Same as the Spitfire, just two thin coats of Xtracolour Dark Green, left in the sunshine to harden for an hour, then unmasked. Stay tuned, there's a couple of 'Falco' pics to come in a minute !!

Ian

Back