• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Hobby Boss P-61 A

Paulw

I did get this thing going and even with my review earlier I ran into a couple of things I though I would comment on.

First the pit; all in all it came together rather well the left and right sides have a good recess to sit the panels in so it fits fairly well. really the only fiddly parts art the gunners remote sight.

Before sewing up the fuse I installed the cannon barrels, there are no gun bay internals to display like the old Monogram or the GWH kits. Putting the fuse together and all the flying surfaces along with the booms and landing gear seemed to be a snap and any gaps were fixed by some light pressure on the opposite side of the join. I am plaesd on how well it came out.

They do have a very solid way to ensure the mating surfaces are well secured, two very stout locating pins are in the middle of the part one for the upper part and one for the lower
one as in the wing and the horizontal stab has two.

This thing assembles very well for the exception of the one piece canopy. I think mine has a slight warp in it but it did hold don pretty well with a bead of tube glue.

There is another issue with the clear nose piece and the weights supplied. There is not enough weight so I added some split shot fishing sinkers in the nose and a plug of tissue to hold them in. This made the installation of the radar dish impossible. While on the nose piece I dry fit or tried to anyway. I fount that the location tabs on the fuse mad the clear piece too wide so there would be a fairly good step there. Off they came with a small bit of sanding and I ran a bead of tube glue on the fuse and taped them

I had some masks for the Monogram kit and I decided to try them out and found out that they were way too small so I went to tape. I tried some parafilm on the rear canopy with mixed results.
Ill be sending some more pics as it gets closer to being done.
Cheers

There were four weights in the front of the fuse from the kit, Warren and one in each nacelle and still it wasn't enough so I added the split shot to the glass piece and that is what you see , Warren..

One of my favourite aircraft and one that I've never built in any scale. Looking forward to this one, Paul.

Ian.

Well it's just about done. This particular is a really simple kit. I built it oob and just assembled it as in the instructions. The parts fit better that the GWH one I finished earlier this year. The big difference is in the details of the kit. This kit is more expensive than the Revell one but about 20% less expensive then the GWH P-61B "the last shoot down". If you don't get too wrapped up in detail stuff then this is an enjoyable kit for you. I would suggest buying some am decals though and maybe a resin engine kit.

I have shown where the seams and steps are, I would have fixed them but the sanding would obliterate all the fine surface detail the panel lines are faint but they fill up quickly when primer is applied. I used Vallejo black surface primer, that stuff is awesome in my book because it is self leveling.

Any way, I also put the GWH kit I did (sans decals) just to show the difference.

Back