• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 WWII German jerry cans

TomN

Hi guys

It seems like everyone makes a set or two of German jerry cans these days, so many I've lost track.

Can anyone recommend a good set, in terms of accuracy, detail and value?

I'm talking about the regular 20L fuel/water cans.

Thanks
Tom

I like the Italeri set, both German (water and fuel) Brittish and American cans.
You have some new sets that includes PE to but i think the Italeri ones do the job good (and you get more for the money)

//Mats

Thanks Mats!

I think I have the Tamiya set floating around here someplace, was thinking
of something more modern, with the PE, but geeez...that ain't cheap.

Tom

If it's the old tamiya set with the buckets, i wouldn't use it. their new set is much better :)

Thanks again Mats.

I try to avoid older Tamiya armor stuff, now that I have...ADVANCED MODELERS SYNDROME!!!

Tom

AFV makes some nice ones in British and German. Bronco, Great Wall, and the ones mentioned. I like AFV and Bronco. Havent tried the great Wall ones.
James

Thanks James.

I think I'll look for the Great Wall ones, because they have workable PE filler caps. :woohoo:

And...aha, found some in a DML kit I have in the stash, only need one at the moment.

So there is a good reason to have all these unbuilt kits lying around...

Tom

Hi Tom ,

Get the Great Wall set . Once you use them you will not want any others . They give you a few diff versions too , I wish they had more earlies only two , but they are very nice. They include PE centers and PE pieces for real working caps for every can. Remember they also include plastic closed caps too for every can , so you don't have to go crazy either. They also have a 5 pk in one piece for those big can racks for your ease . There's quite a few also so they last awhile. I hope they continue and make sets of diff countries and versions I really like them. As some here have stated if your not fussy the old Italeri cans are not bad at all and you can always make the center welds yourself. The old Tamiya cans two handles are garbage . The new Tamiya cans are very nice but no center welds either, Tamiya also makes a new set of Early types very nice but no center welds either also has a few extra bits and bobs included a nice small jack for a big truck or Pz II or 38t type tank or armoured car.Aber makes in inserts for the newer Tamiya cans but that boosts the price ends up cheaper getting the GW cans. The Newer Dragon ones are very nice too but I believe only avail in vehicle kits not by themselves.i haven't actually seen the Bronco cans but they seem to be offering many versions and countries. The Tasca cans are very nice maybe the best but expensive . There are some nice resin cans too but why pay more unless you need a certain type. I think Bronco just did a British set with lots of extras too. Someone makes Hungarian cans I think Bronco not sure . Someone makes Italian types too not sure but I will be looking for plastic Italian ones soon for a Sarhiana car kit. I like Early cans too and Tasca makes a nice set. As I said the Tasca cans both early and late and prob best American cans are very nice but cost more. So if you just want basic German cans the GW set is best for your Buck. Well that's my two cents hope it helps.

Brian

Thanks for the great info Brian!

I found the Great Wall set on eBay for $10, so will probably be ordering a set.

In the meantime I gabbed one can out of a DML SdKfz 234/4. I'm assuming this is a late style can.

I'm thinking I actually would want an early style, but what are the differences?

Thanks for your help,
Tom

I'm thinking I actually would want an early style, but what are the differences?

Here's the early style can:

TOM_1.jpg

And here on the left side the very early style can (You can see it on Luiz his awesome Sd.Kfz 263 build)
and on the right side the new style can:

TOM_2.jpg

Hope this helps,Tom. ;)

Greetings,Ron.

Thank you much Ron!

Looks like I have a late style can, but need an early style, but it will be crammed
behind the front seat of a Scwimmwagen so you'll only see the top...might work.

James, I'm probably wrong, but I think there are triangular oil cans,
but they are smaller...yes?...no?

Tom

Hi Tom,

There are a couple earlies in the GW set so you will have a couple. The later style started in 41 some have 1941 stamped on them then others look the same but have 1943 on them and diff writing I believe but the physical cans 41 and 43 look the same . If it's a Schimmy your doin that's a late 42 and after vehicle so any of those three cans are fine in it.hope this helps and good luck on your project.

Brian

Ok, then I should be good then...

I'm planning a Kharkov dio, but I'm terrible with dates.

Thanks Brian!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Tell Us more about your dio of Kharkov is it just the Schwimmy? Are you including a Panzer? Figures? Is it going to be SS ? Tell us more I'm interested.

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for the interest.

It will have:

Schwimmwagen (need to start a thread on that)

Sd.Kfz. 250/1 Alte (there's a thread on that around here someplace, not completed though)

6-7 Evolution Miniatures figures, maybe 1 Alpine

Lots of snow and slushy mud!

Tom

Back