• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Rye Field Type 82e Volkswagen

The first ones with the large off road wheels like this kit used the Kübelwagen chasis so were 4x4.

incidentally the 3 seat versions were radio cars but they dont hive you the radio in the kit i think.

When I was building this I had that pointed out that it’s an 87 and not an 82. It didn’t make all that much difference to me as this was a filler build while I was trying to figure out the way forward on my 71 Ford Maverick build.
I do appreciate the information though.

I don't know for sure what the one Paddy was showing, but this kit has the 4x4 front steering knuckles. I saw a Kubelwagen years ago with them and was intrigued. They were used on the 4x4 Comand wagen and on the Schwimmwagen.

jJhqBQ.jpg

You can see the part in this photo. There are the 2 trailing arms that go out to the link & king pin on regular suspensions. On the model the usual king pin is curved which went around the constant velocity joint for the front wheel drive.

This is what it should look like.
download.jpg

It isn't a big deal though as parts were swapped and moved between vehicles as were needed. I am sure the Kubelwagen I saw had damaged the original front suspension bars and the 4WD front end was handy and fit.

Also note the thick cable coming from the brake backing plate. It is the mechanical brake cable. Then at the connector for the two torsion bar tubes there is a SHORT shock absorber going from the bracket bottom to the top arm. I had a 1947 beetle for a while and these are quite interesting vehicles.

As an old time VW fanatic, I have numerous old reference books on the subject. One in particular was a Kubelwagen that was converted to a fake tank. There have always been a hand full of old black and white photos showing this vehicle. It had a couple of pontoon like add on parts that could be hung off the sides to make it look like a small tank.

So imagine my complete surprise when I found a number of current color photos of that vehicle still in existence.
7f338c9e-kubelwagen-porsche-type-82-3-5.jpg

20161508132809.jpg

Panzer-Attrappe-bei-Ebay-1200x800-168d8071ab4c5bf6.jpg

68a2af55-kubelwagen-porsche-type-82-3-16.jpg

What a great little build! Were the doors and bonnet all separate to open or did you cut them to position them opened?

Back