• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Rye Field Type 82e Volkswagen

mustang1989

Late last year I saw a build review of this kit in Fine Scale Modeler. I've always been a fan of the older Beetles and have also wanted to build a model of one from WWII so needless to say I just had to have this kit. Soooo....my wife got it for me for Christmas. I've been waiting for a slot in which to build it so I finally got one here a month or so ago and I had a lot of fun building it. The only real problem that it has is in the windshield fit. There's alot of sanding that needs to happen with the glass itself if you want it to fit perfectly in the opening. I managed to get it to work for me but it wasn't without its struggles. I will say this however, you will not find a better Type 82 out there on the market that has this kind of detail along with ease of build. IMO this is the absolute best kit out there for this car.

I simply could not build this car and NOT put any aftermarket items or scratchbuilding into it so I started by adding spark plug wires and fuel lines to the engine, threw a German newspaper in the front seat from Fields of Glory and miscellaneous items like a helmet, map as well as the map bag, binoculars and a bread pouch in the back of the passenger compartment along with a set of glasses laid on top of the newspaper in the front seat from the Mini Art German Equipment kit. I also added a first aid kit on the passenger compartment wall next to the rear seat. The exhaust tail pipe outlet was drilled out as well.

I was originally going to go with Tamiya German Grey as the body color but decided it was just too dark for my liking so I went with, of all things, some Stynlrez grey primer for the body color. After a good coating of Stynlrez I weathered it with an airbrushed coating of Mig Dark Wash which seemed to darken it juuuuuust the right amount. Decals are OOB and after those were applied a very light coat of Model Master Acrylic Flat Clear was applied to the whole body. I felt a little "Meh" about the whole build after I was done as I completely forgot to weather things like the fenderwells and bottoms of the sidesteps. Anyone who knows anything about these cars will be able to spot some of the inaccuracies right off the bat but I had a really good time building this one as it was a diversionary build while my Maverick build was stalled.

Any how....here's the completed build:

K7jOx4.jpg

5RHRGA.jpg

HOLOA8.jpg

CjAHsQ.jpg

vA2aSO.jpg

Usej64.jpg

KK3yuJ.jpg

jJhqBQ.jpg

AiihtK.jpg

I got this when it came out and for some reason still havent built it. Now I'm thinking that will need to be rectified. I wonder why only 1 back seat. Seems odd. Lovely work on this :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :)
James

I got this when it came out and for some reason still havent built it. Now I'm thinking that will need to be rectified. I wonder why only 1 back seat. Seems odd. Lovely work on this :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :vgood: :)
James
Thanks James. You wont be sorry when you build it as as it goes together fairly straightforward. The only issue I had out of it really was the windshield. That....I did NOT like but I got through it.

Turned out real nice Joe!

Great Job.gif

I used to collect the old VW beetles (back in the 80's before the big D) Had a 1947 bug for several years as well as several mid 50's models. I have a couple of the Revell 1/16th scale beetle kits as well as the Tamiya 1/16th Kubel kits. Waiting on either a 1/16th Schwimmwagen to appear or a friend to find the running gear from a now unobtainable Eduard Schwimmer. I want to build one of the 4WD Commandor wagen beetles in 1/16th.

Turned out real nice Joe!

View attachment 138058

I used to collect the old VW beetles (back in the 80's before the big D) Had a 1947 bug for several years as well as several mid 50's models. I have a couple of the Revell 1/16th scale beetle kits as well as the Tamiya 1/16th Kubel kits. Waiting on either a 1/16th Schwimmwagen to appear or a friend to find the running gear from a now unobtainable Eduard Schwimmer. I want to build one of the 4WD Commandor wagen beetles in 1/16th.
Thanks bud. I wished I had space to display 1/16 scale builds.

I have no "War Dept", she passed 19 years ago. As I live by myself, I can do pretty much what I care to. Gave up even dating about 10 years ago. The women in the mid south are either beach balls on stilts or such that I would never trust one of them. Got tired of the lies, drama and crap, so instead I am happy and content and rarely have a bad day. 🌅

I have no "War Dept", she passed 19 years ago. As I live by myself, I can do pretty much what I care to. Gave up even dating about 10 years ago. The women in the mid south are either beach balls on stilts or such that I would never trust one of them. Got tired of the lies, drama and crap, so instead I am happy and content and rarely have a bad day. 🌅
I hear you on that. If something happened to my wife I don't think I'd remarry either. I don't know anybody else who would put up with me. lol
I also hear you on the lady scene. Too many party girls (off ALL ages) and too many looking for a "Sugar Daddy".

Back