• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Greenland Kayaks Diorama

Tankbuilder

Many years ago whilst visiting a hobby shop, I saw two small scale Russian submarines that I thought the hulls of looked a lot like Greenland kayaks. The kits were being blown out at 99 cents each. When I went to pay for them I told the shop owner, "They might look like Russian subs but they're ging to be 1/35 scale Greenland kayaks." He was so impressed that he ave me the two kits. I did buy a lot of other kits that day though.

A fellow and his lady friend are on a trip and are enjoying a day on the water whilst paddling along in their home-built Greenland style kayaks.

These are how the kayaks look now with the superstructure removed and a coating of tissue paper over them to cover the hull and create the kayak decks. The coamings around each cockpit is mage from Evergreen plastic. I'm going to separate the three strands of the white cord and use those for a number of transverse decklines. I need to apply some putty to the hull to cover some cracks.

Greenland_Kayak___Figures_Parts_1.jpg
[/img]

Here is a slightly different view. The reason for using tissue to cover the craft is to make it look like fabric.

Greenland_Kayak___Figures_Parts_2.jpg

This is a view of the parts I will be selecting from to build a female and male figure for the kayaks.

The figure on the left will have the upper torso, head and ponytail from the female figure in the Tamiya Russian Tank Crew at Rest set. Her lower torso and arms are from an Italeri Jeep driver.

The parts ob the right will be used to make her male companion. I need to decide which torso and head to use, The grey parts are also from that Tamiya Russian Tank Crew set.

The legs of both figues will be cut off at the knees so that the figure will fit in the kayak.

Greenland_Kayak_3D_Figures_Parts.jpg

More to come soon.

Thanks for looking.

That's what I call modelling (y) Seeing a scale model of a Russian sub but also seeing a Kayak to make of it!! Cool, looking forward to see more progress (y)

:popcorn :popcorn

Erik

Worked a bit more deciding which figure parts to use. Also modified the lower torsos and legs. Started working on the kayak paddles too.

For the male kayak paddler I decided to use the Tamiya Russian Tank Crewman at Rest head. Tamiya shows this head painted on the rear boxart and the way it's done, in my opinion, makes for a very strong resemblance to a young Charles Bronson.

The paddles are made by scarfing together two cut down oars scavenged from a busted Roman galley model. The esiest and most accurate way to cut the two oars and get the same angle is to shorten the oars a bit and secure both of them to the cutting surface with theshafts next to each other and then just cut through both shafts at the same time with a #11 blade.

Greenland_Kayak_3D_Paddles___Figures_1.JPG

Here are the two exloded figures and a closeup of a nearly completed paddle.

You might notice that the two blades are in the same plane rather than one blade being a right angles to the other as seen in whitewater and olimpic kayak paddles. There are a number of reasons for inline blades but two reasons really stand out. #1 is that inline paddles can have one blade slipped under a wooden lath located between two transverse deck lines and the outboard blade can rest upon the water and thus act as an outrigger. #2 is that on the oceans, or other large lakes the wind often comes from another direction than what the waves are oriented to and the longer narrower upper inline blade (the blad not in the water)e is much less likely to be caught by the wind.

Greenland_Kayak_3D_Paddles___Figures_2.JPG

More to come. Thanks for watching. Comments welcome.

I guess I missed this the first time around. What a brilliant idea. Cant wait to see more of it. Very original (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Hi there.

Thank you very much for your interest.

I have made some progress but things got kind of hectic in December and thus I didn't get as far along as I hoped.

I sanded down the cockpit coamings and placed the figures inside them so that I could position the arms such that they can hold the paddle.

GreenlandKayakampFigure1a_zps5ddc3bd3.jpg

I also added some putty where needed at the area where the coaming meets the deck of the kayak.

GreenlandKayakampFigure1b_zps99cac7f0.jpg

Next will be adding the deck lines. The female figure in the left kayak will be raised up slightly. Neither figure is fastened in place yet.

GreenlandKayakampFigure2a_zps0c54d440.jpg

I decided to use larger diameter arms and larger hands on the male figure. The arms I was going to use (in the images I first posted) were too fine compared to those of the female figure since all four arms were from the same Italeri figure. The figures now need to have their arms faired into their upper torsos. So there's still a bit of sanding and filling and sanding again to do on them. When they are attached to the kayaks for good I'll add a spray-skirt type of thing made from tissue paper to the torsos and the coamings.

GreenlandKayakampFigure2b_zps007fc82b.jpg

I've decided that the kayak diorama will have these two people paddling along a shoreline. I'm going to add a critter or two later on.

Thank you again for looking. I also welcome your comments.

Cheers

Great project Peter. I always like ideas that show you don't need to spend £130 on Tamiya spitfires to have fun (y)

PICKING UP THE PIECES.

Workers in my apartment managed to knock over my modelling table thereby sending a number of models and in progress dioramas crashing to and across the floor.

I've been busy picking up and sorting out the pieces so that I can put what belongs where back where it belongs. It's a mess and a lot of damage was done.

That is why there's been duch a delay in posting updates here and on my Guns builds. Everything's a real mess but at least they're all salvageable.

Another update with some more in progress images soon.

Cheers

That really sucks. Hope they were apologetic at the minimum. Also hope you manage to find everything and get it all back together. Oh and here's some zen for you :zen :zen :zen :zen :zen
James

Back