• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Tamiya P-51K/D

I did a bit of an experiment with three paints. Alclad polished alum, Vallejo Alum and Vallejo Chrome. Lets see what you think.

Vallejo Chrome

Vallejo alum

Alclad polished alum

The control is the base coat that I applied. Humbrol gloss black acrylic over Vallejo grey poly primer.

Did you buff out the AlcladII any? Seems flat from what I have done in the past. The Vallejo Chrome doesn't do Chrome well but it's a good silver, I'm with Terry, it's good. Got a bottle but have rarely used it.

Which one you like?

I use sections of old cotton t-shirt to buff Alclad lacquers, and they make a big difference. Check-out Bob's Sabre build from a few months back to get some idea of how Alclad can 'sparkle'...

In the meantime, I applaud the progress you're making on this project, Paul. :good:

Ian

boy this thread fell flat on its ass. There is a difference but you have to see it in my light I guess.
what I was trying to do is show that the Vallejo looks similar to the alclad.

I think its the lighting Paul. I use Vallejo Chrome and Aluminum and know there is a difference, just not really seeing it here. I think Tamiya makes a nice aluminum and use it and the vallejo in my projects. Which one do you like better? If equal amounts why not use all three in different parts of the aircraft.
James

I think its the lighting Paul. I use Vallejo Chrome and Aluminum and know there is a difference, just not really seeing it here. I think Tamiya makes a nice aluminum and use it and the vallejo in my projects. Which one do you like better? If equal amounts why not use all three in different parts of the aircraft.
James

I did on the jug James but what I am really trying here is to show that the Vallejo, to me at least, looks like metal and its just as good as the Alclad even though you cant polish it.

test1.jpg~original

test2.jpg~original

test3.jpg~original

any closer to the real colours?

Photoshop 5 - image/adjust/auto levels

did you shoot the three photos on the same settings? the backgrounds are all different, that's why I'm asking.

Alllllll righty then. I decided to go with the rattle can, Tamiya TS-83 for the metal finish and some dark OD for the top. I know it looks a bit bright but I am figuring after weathering it will have some sort of a "used" but not used up look to it.

the spitfire prop is there just because...

Yep, that's been my thinking on it since the start. Overstated and then weathering brings it back to natural. Go Paul! :pilot

After a week of not doing anything I decided to apply some decals. Have some problems with the transparency of the stars over the invasion stripes but hey, this is almost done and you really cant tell, right?

Looking really good. It wasnt until I read the description that I noticed the translucent star. Maybe another star over it? If you need one I can get the decals from my kit and mail them to you as I'll be doing a Canadian bird. Let me know.
Otherwise really like what you've done (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Well this is basically done. the checkered decals for the nose were pretty hosed and I have some coming in about a week or so. I left the gaps in the front panels because they are removable and the big self inflicted gun shot wound that I did while assembling the supercharger ( I used the one for the Spit) so now it sits cock-eyed. I may just leave it like this or maybe later do some more to it. All-in-all this is a fantastic kit and when I get a hair Ill probably just build another.

The Decals are from the Dragon kit so that's probably a good reason why they broke apart on me and were too translucent.

Back