• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Zero type 52 By Hasegawa

phantom II

Master at Arms
Hello everyone. It seems my recent post of this old timer found favor with James Knaus so I'll post some pictures for him.
If you enjoy it as well, then we're to the good. :drinks

All comments are welcomed but bear in mind that this airplane is old enough that it was rebuilt before 1994 , so it's not state of the art.
Also it has been transported half way around the world so it has acquired some extra character.

Zero_type_52_005.JPG

This is pretty much what it looked like while sitting on old tires on one of our own flattops. Of course the pictures were black and white.

Zero_type_52_007.JPG

The article went on to explain that the factory was so short on paint pigments that they were only painting the metal under the markings.

Zero_type_52_008.JPG

I decided that this would make for an interesting build so here you have it.

Zero_type_52_006.JPG

The Army in turn was supposed to finish the paint in the field but I'm not sure if this actually took place since by the end of the war they were short on man power and supplies as well.

Assuming that the airplane survived long enough to consider doing it. :bang head

Thinking about all that, I bet they started skimping on the paint long before they ran out. Of course that's only conjecture from my part, so if you have some knowledge that would help I'd like to hear it.

Cheers, Christian B)

That is spectacular. I really like how you did it and basically WOW (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) Very very very nice work.
James

Thanks James. Glad you like so well.

If I can find where that magazine is I'll post a picture of it. All I can find right now is what it looked like after he Army had it in testing which is very different looking.

I feel pretty sure that it's the one hanging from the ceiling at the Smithsonian painted a beautiful green. So much for restoration !

Cheers, Christian B)

Wow!!! :eek:hmy: Now that's a cool Zero, no matter what kind of battles it has gone through in it's life! :) Great weathering: overall it looks very real! Congratulations, Chris, for a well done job back in the '90s! (y)

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Thanks Fernao. I don't thing it was actually weathered as much as what it received at the factory.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys. :blush: I think that was my first fun paint Job. Very simple and now that I use acrylics it would be even more simple.

Cheers, Christian B)

:cheer: Hello everyone. I'm finally back. The replacement Air Master cannon barrels have arrived and have been installed on the Zeke. Wow, what little beauties these thinks are. Even in 1/72 . :woohoo:

ZEKE_52_006%7E0.JPG

I regret to say the photography do not do them justice, but they are perfect.

While I was replacing cannons, I also painted the gas caps ( now that I know where they are ), reworked the position light and added a bit more weathering .

ZEKE_52_007%7E0.JPG

Now, I'm returning it to the self before any more mischief happens.

Hope you enjoy. Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi guys, finally found the picture I was looking for to illustrate the state of the Japanese Aviation industry at the end of the war.

This picture was taken on one of our carriers retuning with a load of newly built Zero's. Note only minimal paint was used.

old_pix_008%7E1.JPG

Cheers, Christian B)

I've not seen that picture before. I'm betting they won't try that twice. My dad was a radio operator in the dutch resistance. My mom was a radio operator in the dutch resistance. Don't figure why I'm typing this message!

Thanks Dave,
recently bough a much newer Hasegawa Zero . Even nicer possibilities than this one.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back