• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Would like to build a tank.

Big10

Hello all,

I would like to build an armor subject. I want to either build a Tiger or a Panzer IV G.

I have never built armor before so I have no idea which kit manufacture to go with.

I figure I can't go wrong with Tamiya, but how is Dragon. I have been looking a Cyber Hobby as well.

I would really appreciate it if some one can get me going in the right direction.

Thanks, Jon.

Hi Jon, your correct on Tamiya for your first try, if your used to kit building there a walk in the park (y)

Just try stopping at one! :gogo

Adrian

DML is great, particularly if you enjoy WWII German vehicles, but I suspect all the parts could be overwhelming for a first armour kit.
CH is basically the collectors issue of DML. As such they're generally pricy, and if one is prepared to wait often DML will release the kit anyway. Wouldn't recommend for a first armour kit.

Can't go too wrong with Tamiya for a first armour (or anything) kit.

HTH

Agreed. Go with Tamiya if this is your first. Tamiya always have good kits that go well together and are easy to build. Dragon tend to be more complex and those "Magic Tracks" can be a real pain to put together.

Sound advice! How about participating in The Great 88 campaign if you decide Tiger? https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/the-great-88/114027-great-88-signup (y)

You are already headed in the right direction. (y)
You want to build a TANK!
I concur with others. Start with a Tamiya.
No fit problems with Tamiya kits. Dragon (and Cyber hobby (same I think?)) are great kits, but they have huge part counts and errors in the directions (just to keep you on your toes :evil: )

Go for it,

Bill

HEY BIG 10 ,

YEAH .. .Me too . I say Tamiya . You can't go wrong with them. Get a few of those under your belt & then You'll be ready to tackle Photo-Etch , aftermarket resin & Individual Track links !!

You've picked to good ones to start with !!

You can find good prices on E-Bay .... just make sure it's a 100% unstarted kit & You're Golden !!

Any Questions that you have during Your build ... Don't hesitate to ask. There are NO stupid questions ... Only th one that goes unasked is stupid. We've all been where you are at now ... So fire away with th questions !!! See ya in th Ground Pounder Forum !!

:erik

I think you'd do fine with a Tamiya Tiger. With your painting skills, you'd have fun with all the schemes to pull from. :popcorn

Everyone has given you valid points. Something else to consider is how accurate you want it. The Dragon kits are more accurate than any others for both tanks. They also have more options and dont delineate them well so its very easy to mix stuff up. Dragon has a problem with instructions on a lot of their kits, but most are easily figured out. Dragon over engineers many times, but in a lot of cases you get a more realistic outcome. So fora first tank I would say Tamiya. If you have built lots and appreciate accuracy then Dragon.

Next thing is the Germans used zimmerit anti magnetic mine paste for a few years. Early Tigers and some late late tigers didnt have it, while depending on the model and year the Panthers did or did not have it. You would have to put the zim on for some of the schemes. Tigers where the straight troweled pattern while Panthers had many different patterns, the most common being waffles.

If you build planes or cars you will find tanks a whole new world. They are easier to build than a plane and mistakes are easier to fix or hide in most cases, but are much harder to finish and weather.

Big this is to have fun and learn new things. Might even come over to the dark side :D

Oh and by all means ask for help if you get stuck. There are some very knowledgeable people here, and everyone is quite happy to offer help.
James

WOW guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

I am no stanger to plastic or P.E. I have been building for about 6 years now. Planes only. I want to get something Nasty and Dirty. Oh you dirty boy you. :woohoo:

I am really looking at this kit. I like it cause all the stuff that comes with it.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/dml6363.htm

One thing I notice is the magic track stuff. How time consuming are those to individual assemble?

Do they make one piece after market tracks?

I don't think I will enter and kind of group build as being my first armor piece. I have no if it is something I can stay fully committed to.

While back I bought a bunch of pigments and oils from MIG. I really have not used them on aircraft much, and I want to play and experiment with them.

If I get a Tiger, which one from Tamiya has good detail.

Thanks again all for the great help. :drinks

See, told ya you'd get better answers than from me, what do I know? :drinks

I'm willing to bet someone has built that kit here, if not that one, one with the same sprues.

Hi Jon,

Since you are no stanger to plastic or P.E, and build a lot of planes, I should say Dragon. I think Dragon models needs a little bit more experience in modelling but thats what you've got!

The magic tracks are individual track links witch come seperate in a bag, not on a sprue, so little or no cleaning needed.

And for joining a groupbuild: a groupbuild is not a competition, it's just fun and it was for me a good way to finaly get a model finished :D

Cheers Erik

I would do a Tamiya early tiger, kit number 35216. I would add a set of fruils, alum barrel,and a screen set.

I guess I should tell you what scheme I would like to try.

I want to either do the grey with the winter top and try some chipping or the hairspray stuff.

Or I would like to try the one that consist of all the multi colors. Not sure what that scheme is. I just know it is very colorful.

Sprue Bros is a good start. If you find the screens let me know, I need them also.

Jon I really like the 3 color camo, as i've learned here, that camo scheme was field applied so your patterns are endless and you can get really imaginative with it.

The only downside to a Tamiya Tiger I is,the individual track links. I would go witha Tamiya panver IV.

Back