• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wing nut Wings FE2b Finished

Re: Wing nut Wings FE2b

I think i might have made a mistake rigging the top wing as the struts are assembled on the bottom wing. This means i have to now locate 16 struts in their holes in the top wing at once and through all that gigging !! I have only done half the wing and may do the bottom wing on the other side..

_DSC4612.jpg

Paddy I think that's what I did on my Pup, I looked back over my in progress photos but don't think I got a shot of it. I think you were going to have your work cut out for you no matter which direction you took. I surely could not see doing the rigging with the wing in place nor could i see doing it upside down. What you're doing here is rigging from top to bottom, which makes sense to me.

Now all you have to do is get those elves that Chuck uses for those uber details and get all those lines run. :mpup

I'm starting to feel like i am losing control here :) I have laced up the bottom wing on the other side so now we will find out if its easier to lace down or up .....I chose this kit because it looked the most difficult in th WNW range and i think i got that right :)

could this be the last ever picture before i through it in the air :)

_DSC4624.jpg

I resemble that remark... :yipee

Don't encourage him, Paddy... he just doesn't know how to be civilized.

No problem!

1 shot gin, 1 shot rum, 1 shot vodka, 1 shot triple sec, I cup cranberry juice, 0.5 cup orange juice, 1 shot pineapple juice, 0.5 shot of cointreau.. shake well with ice...

No Problem!

He is just jealous...

Loving this build. I think I'll pass on the Fee now that I see the insanity of it, but WOW it looks cool. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y)
James

My problem now is the struts are not strong enough to support the top wing unless the whole thing is kept flat now. I found this with my Brisfit , for example if i was to glue the top wing on the struts and then turn the whole thing on its side the weight of the top wing would not be supported and the whole thing would collapse. Certainly for example if you picked it up by the top wing it would just break away. This means that the strength is in the rigging much like the real thing. Basically i need to either temporally reinforce the struts with additional plastic strips or make a jig that holds the whole thing together while i rig it. I need to do some thinking about this....

_DSC4627.jpg

I saw someone use a kit box with slots cut in it. Slipped the kit in and did the rigging from the back. Cant remember where though so you could see a pic.
James

one of the advantages of rigging from top down. I've seen rigs of those "helping hands" alligator clips used before. Good luck Paddy!

:popcorn

Off topic but looking at the pictures you sent of the Camo schemes James reminded me of this i built years ago, Tamiya 1/48 :) Just a bit of fun :)

Img1022.jpg

f16.jpg

f162.jpg

f163.jpg

Hey Patty, they do make a jig to hold all the wings together and it's adjustable to different airplanes. It would be worth the investment if you're gonna build biplanes. :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Patty, they do make a jig to hold all the wings together and it's adjustable to different airplanes. It would be worth the investment if you're gonna build biplanes.

There are several to choose from, Aeroclub's which is metal and sturdy, JH Models made from plywood with rubber stripping and metal fittings, and Sram which is plastic with metal fittings. Of course, you have the Lego or Meccano way.

I have not built a biplane in a while but I make my wing jigs from scale plans glued onto sturdy cardboard and cut out.

Regards,

Blimey Dave...i just blew up your picture and once i got over the shock........i realised its not a hat at all :)

The bird has wings !!!

_DSC4630.jpg

Turned out easier than i thought because it has no fuselage sticking out the back you can assemble the top wing to the bottom by putting the whole thing as if its in a vertical climb which aligns the 2 wings as well as they are not staggered. Just needs a bit of packing here and there to allow for the prop shaft out the back. Now ............where does all that rigging go ?

Good job, now get to riggin', you got all that stuff in the tailplane to do now. :popcorn

Back