• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wing nut Wings FE2b Finished

Re: Wing nut Wings FE2b

I hope no one minds but i have moved these pictures here as it as more relevant place to have them

I have done my best with these but the museum is in darkness to create an atmosphere the Bomber hall is unlit with just a few spot lights. This makes photos almost imposable. The first picture is as they were taken un enhanced so you can see the problem i was having -)
_DSC4285.jpg

So you can understand they are a bit grainy

Fee1.jpg

Fee2.jpg

Fee3.jpg

Fee4.jpg

Fee5.jpg

Fee6.jpg

Fee7.jpg

Fee8.jpg

Fee9.jpg

Fee11.jpg

Fee12.jpg

Fee13.jpg

Fee14.jpg

Fee15.jpg

Fee16.jpg

Fee17.jpg

Fee18.jpg

Fee19.jpg

Fee20.jpg

Fee21.jpg

Fee22.jpg

Fee23.jpg

Fee24.jpg

The museum piece is not what i am aiming for as its pretty unrepresentative of a aircraft in use, kept outside in all weathers and so on. i am going for the black/dark finish as most FE2's had been relegated to night bombing by 1917 as they were outclassed during the day as fighters which was their primary intention a couple of years earlier.
_DSC4562.jpg

I am having second thoughts about rigging now. Usually i use 0.13mm thread because i can get two pieces through a bit of 0.3mm brass tube as a turn buckle. I tried it below and it looks very thin to me.

_DSC4564.jpg

0.13 scaled up to 1/32 is 4.1mm and looking at the real thing the rigging in the pictures i took at the museum is nearer 6mm and 8mm.
6mm scaled down would be .185mm which is quite a bit up on 0.13 so i have just been to the model shop and got some .4mm tube so i can still get 2 bits of .185 through it.
I cant actually try it yet because its -10c here last night and the lake shop where i by the fishing line is shut as its frozen solid :)

I also managed to get some 0.3mm (.012")drills which means i could drill the control arms to take a couple of turn buckles......it had been bothering me how i was going to fix to those ;)

_DSC4569.jpg

Awww man :pinch: I have been fighting the urge to build my Rumpler and every time I see your Fee it makes it harder to resist. Keep up the posts because your giving me ideas and I feel my resolve dissolving. Beautiful work (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

James

Dude! Fantastic build...

-10°???!!! Yikes! That isn't just cold... that is murder! Of course it was -14.5°C here today with Comfort Index...

and Good luck with the business!

B) Excellent work.
I will keep watching this one as I intend getting one of these in the future.

Ian.

Not much to show this week as i have just been painting

_DSC4605.jpg

You cant build these WWI things and paint later :)
All surfaces are black except the top of the upper wing.... i guess they thought if the German gunners on the ground could see that then it was too late anyway :laugh:
I make it just over 100 turn buckles in the top and bottom wings before we even look at the rest of the kit.....Guess what i will be doing this week :)

Hmm boy! I remember rigging the Pup and it was not nearly as wired as this thing is. We're pullin' for ya Paddy! :popcorn

100 turnbuckles? is tha all?? ;) You should have those knocked out in NO time! :rotf

Not an easy picture to take !!
first 50 turn buckles in place.Once pointing in the right direction and painted black they will look fine ;)

_DSC4607.jpg

I dont know what i am doing here really so i think i might thread the top wing before i attach to the bottom wing ? i think i have seen others do that.

Looking daunting. I read of others threading the top also then Tamiya taping the thread groups on so they were out of the way and untangled until they could be joined to the bottom wing. I like this picture because I can see how you insert the eyelets now. You drill straight, glue, let them dry a while and then bend to shape rather than drilling at an angle??
James

On this Kit James the holes are pre drilled but yes, i usually drill straight and once the glue has set the eyelets will bend in the right direction as you tension the rigging. I would rather drill my own holes as the pre drilled holes are much bigger diameter than i would like.

that's ubercool awesome paddy!

rigging ... yeah ... don't we all love rigging?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGLNYAgL-8

Back