• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Why do you build models ?

paddy

As it past midnight last night and i though i will just finish this section i am doing..... i started to wonder why am i doing this ?
I had just spent a couple of hours trying to get all four nozzles on a Harrier to move together. I will fix them at 45 degree and never move them again.......So why do i need them to work ?
In the past i have often built models and put them straight in the bin as rather like a completed puzzle , i loose interest in them once complete. Rather like doughnuts, i like to eat them not sit and look at them.
What happens to me anyway is i get completely immersed in what i am doing. Its rewarding, its consuming , its satisfying and its escapism.
As i plug away at my third Harrier in 6 weeks i realise it doesnt matter what i build. If i could only build the same thing over and over again i would still build it because more than anything else i just want the next one to be better than the one before and i want it to take me away from the hum drum of everyday to that place where i am 100% focused , occupied and totally absorbed in something. As i build this 3rd Harrier my mind is totally absorbed in how to make it better than the last one, what can i add, what can i alter, how can i improve the paint, how can i make it more realistic and how can i make it pass the macro lens test when finished.
Now if there is a challenge as well, like model with a bad reputation ( no not Kate moss) so much the better :)

so what drives the rest of you ?

For me 2 things mainly;

1. relaxing! I enjoy just doing things with my hands and tuning out from the rest of the world!
2. Learning about the machines. I have always been a "car guy" at heart and love learning how things work. I've found building models gives me a chance to learn more about some of these machines.

So why do i need them to work ?
Because you can.

Why do we super detail stuff inside a dark cockpit that will likely never be seen again, because we can?

It can be relaxing if you allow it.

I agree with Warren, its a good way to get closer to the subjects you're interested in, I think the majority of us are also history buffs, kinda go hand in hand. We build things that capture our interest. If we can make it a great looking build all the better.

1. Research - TMI is part of my genetics.
  2. Problem Solving - keeps the gray matter supple
  3. Sense of achievement - when those small problems work out
  4. Challenging - I try to see how much I can add within my skillset
  5. Relaxing (at times) - due to repetitive tasks
  6. Keeps me out of bars
  7. Made me into a hoarder! (OK, that is a negative)

I think Saul got all my points. I've been building since I was a kid. My Dad worked in and then owned a hobby shop so I tried a lot of thibgs but military modeling has always been my fav. An old figure modeler who got me started told me research was the key and I find I really love learning more about the time place and item I am building. Probably more than actually building now. I also love to see how it works.

I was always a military history buff,from 7th grade actually,building models brings the pages to life,in fact reading some good war stuff has always moved me to start different projects.
I'm not real prolific,so I have many in some cases in the basement,while not museum quality or even contest worthy,I enjoy looking at them,and showing them to appreciative friends and family.

To me, it is an escape. From what, I am not sure. While I am at the model bench or the sewing machine, or the fly tying vise, or at my art easel, whether it is working on a car, or a tank, or a plane, or a figure, or a dress for my granddaughter, or a new Captain America costume for me, or a Rainbow Warrior fishing fly, or a painting of a sunset, it doesn't matter, I am, in that moment, in another place. It is constant problem solving, and I enjoy the satisfaction of having solved the problem. I do it, mostly because I enjoy it, and it scratches the artistic itch I have pretty well. I want to make my model look as realistic as I can, given my skill level and knowledge, and I try to, like you guys, make what I am working on better than the last thing I worked on. Unlike you guys, however, I do not enjoy the research and find it frustrating trying to find the scrap of information I am looking for, not knowing if it exists or not, spending HOURS down the rabbit hole. How the hell was it done before the internet? Spend hours in the library? I am not a history buff, although I love to learn about history. To me, it involves remembering the things you learn which I am not good at, although I love historical movies and TV shows the best. I could watch Saving Private Ryan on a loop probably. My favorite TV show and actual favorite filmed footage all time is Outlander. Best stuff ever filmed. I am fascinated by the props as a model maker, the outfits as a costume maker, and landscapes as an oil painter. As a sewist also (I am NOT a seamstress! LOL. I don't have the right body parts to be one), when I watch a show, I am looking at the button holes, and the seam lines to learn how they were done; and as a model maker I am looking at the rust and oil drips, and chipped paint and wondering how I can recreate that accurately. So, even when not at the model table or sewing machine, I am still doing those things in the background. I was watching the weather once, and remember marveling at the Weather Woman's dress, and how the princess seam that accentuated her curves was so perfectly placed and sewn. I knew it was a custom tailored dress sewn by a real pro, and I wanted to make one just as good (I don't remember the weather forecast at all, just the dress, funny that).
I think I got off topic. Why do I make models, rather than read books or go hiking with friends, or play Bridge? I am happiest when I am MAKING something by myself, away from any distraction (I model, paint, fish, and sew in silence), I am detail oriented in nature, and all of the things I do involve replicating small details in some way, and it makes me happy when I can "solve the problem" and make it happen. So, there it is, bottom line...it makes me happy.

I think Greg hit the nail on the head for me

"I am happiest when I am MAKING something by myself, away from any distraction (I model, paint, fish, and sew in silence), I am detail oriented in nature, and all of the things I do involve replicating small details in some way, and it makes me happy when I can "solve the problem" and make it happen. So, there it is, bottom line...it makes me happy."

Hmm......great question. :hmm:
I have a bit of all of the above I think.
My passion started with the art which has stayed as the main driving force.
I like to try to replicate reality but give it a little more 'soul'.
It all began with visits to the museum as a child. I was always drawing to create images and ideas and this was extended into models, then dioramas because of the models/dioramas in the museum in the city. I marvelled at the large dioramas of mining towns and battlefields (and even underground scenes below) and decided that I was going to do that too one day.
That then was further inspired by movies and the old 'war comics' (Battle, Commando, War etc). It then expanded further in my teenage years to Sci-fi stuff because of Star Wars, 2001, Battlestar Galatica, Alien etc and the weathering that that genre inspired (at that time only Shep Paine was weathering tanks and planes). I wanted to weather all my models.
Then I wanted to do more than sketch, so I started painting pictures in acrylics and then oils. This then crossed over to my models.
The final stage for all of this then began in my early 20's, when all these things cullminated in a need to go further, leading me down the history, detailing and painting 'rabbit hole' to chase the 'dragon' of improvement, achievement and accuracy.
I have always been into the detail, so this must have been a common background feature to it all, including my work in design engineering.
So in the end, it is relaxing, rewarding and it feeds my need to create and learn.

Last edited:
While I am at the model bench or the sewing machine...
With my recent weight loss, I could use a sewist like you to refit my suits! I have a HUGE stash to offer in payment (some like @JSteinman have seen it).

By the way, I also learned to hem in home economics class but my wife forbids my using her sewing machines (especially after I responded to her "why do you need another" by pointing out she too had only one set of hands and two machines). :smack:

Carol has a straight matching, surger, fancy does everything, and an embroidery machine. She makes vestments for our church and others. It keeps her busy and reduces stress on me.

Why do I build? I came back from Iraq totally messed up: PTSD (depression, hyper-vigilant etc) adrenaline junkie (I worked in an ER) and unable to sleep for more than 2-3 hours. The doctors told me I need something to help me focus on something other than the bad stuff (I was an inner-city teacher) and after a brief discussion I came back to models. It helps me relax, focus, and generally keep a semblance of sanity. It also gives me a reason for building a library that my wife cannot hope to understand (Why do you NEED a book on WW2 Russian aircraft paints?) Plus, I have met some really great people!

With my recent weight loss, I could use a sewist like you to refit my suits! I have a HUGE stash to offer in payment (some like @JSteinman have seen it).

By the way, I also learned to hem in home economics class but my wife forbids my using her sewing machines (especially after I responded to her "why do you need another" by pointing out she too had only one set of hands and two machines). :smack:
This is funny, and I am going to get way off thread subject here. I am sure she looks at you the same way when buying a new model, pointing to the huge stash that you probably couldn't finish in two lifetimes LOL. Man, I have so many machines! 8 altogether. Four set up for use that all do different aspects of the process. Lightweight sewing, heavy fabric/leather sewing, serge machine, and a coverstitch machine. The other four have been shelved due to being upgraded by better machines. Most commercial machines do one function. Straight stitch, zig zag stitch, overlock for seams, covers stitch for hems, button hole for the obvious, the list actually goes on. Home machines try to combine all of these functions into one machine, but they sacrifice power for convenience and price. If your wife doesn't have a serge/overlock machine, buy her one. Her life will change forever. I will try to refit one suit for you to see if I can do it, and go from there. I will get with you in a PM so we don't bore these good folks with sewing banter.

Carol has a straight matching, surger, fancy does everything, and an embroidery machine. She makes vestments for our church and others. It keeps her busy and reduces stress on me.

Why do I build? I came back from Iraq totally messed up: PTSD (depression, hyper-vigilant etc) adrenaline junkie (I worked in an ER) and unable to sleep for more than 2-3 hours. The doctors told me I need something to help me focus on something other than the bad stuff (I was an inner-city teacher) and after a brief discussion I came back to models. It helps me relax, focus, and generally keep a semblance of sanity. It also gives me a reason for building a library that my wife cannot hope to understand (Why do you NEED a book on WW2 Russian aircraft paints?) Plus, I have met some really great people!
This might be my favorite answer yet. Basically, you have an "emotional support bunny". Bless you sir, and I sincerely thank you for your sacrifice, on all battlefields you faced. A very close friend lost her only child a year ago, and she has an "emotional support bunny rabbit" named Sunny, and brings it to work everyday. This hobby is your emotional support bunny.

I am sure she looks at you the same way when buying a new model, pointing to the huge stash that you probably couldn't finish in two lifetimes LOL...
I honestly can't finish them even if I lied into my great grandson's lifetime (refer to the hoarder aspect).
If your wife doesn't have a serge/overlock machine, buy her one. Her life will change forever.
The issue at the moment is that we both work since we need to cover his college expenses.
I will try to refit one suit for you to see if I can do it, and go from there. I will get with you in a PM so we don't bore these good folks with sewing banter.
Cool! I bet once I mention this, she will get off her keester! :D

By the way, wouldn't Seamster be better than Sewist? Is it more than semantics?

Why build?…now that’s a deep disturbing question.
perhaps the pleasure….pleasure? hmmmm often it can be a struggle in any case I think it’s to create something? I’m not to fussy about the actual build in many cases but the fun comes during the painting stage. I guess I build to paint.
oddly enough, I put the modelling aside last summer to rebuild the transmission in my car, a 20 year old Chevy Monte Carlo and that was a quite relaxing enjoyable project. That may become my next hobby.

Back