• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Why do you build models ?

oddly enough, I put the modelling aside last summer to rebuild the transmission in my car, a 20 year old Chevy Monte Carlo and that was a quite relaxing enjoyable project. That may become my next hobby.
My first car was a white with white vinyl top '72 Monte Carlo! Man, I loved her!! I sold it to get a jeep like a danged fool and the guy I sold it to totaled it, may she rest in piece.

Why build?…now that’s a deep disturbing question.
perhaps the pleasure….pleasure? hmmmm often it can be a struggle in any case I think it’s to create something? I’m not to fussy about the actual build in many cases but the fun comes during the painting stage. I guess I build to paint.
oddly enough, I put the modelling aside last summer to rebuild the transmission in my car, a 20 year old Chevy Monte Carlo and that was a quite relaxing enjoyable project. That may become my next hobby.
Oddly enough I like the construction phase better, can't tell it at the pace I'm building lately.
Tranny rebuilt, that's another level of shade tree maintenance. :vgood: :notworthy

I always liked the assembly part. Putting the parts together was always a lot of fun to me. The paint work not so much. Though as time has gone along and I have learned a few things that is better and more enjoyable.
Decals though lately have given me a bit of trepidation. Not sure why, unless it is the weird ones I have dealt with on the last several builds. Old and tending to fall apart, Tamiya thick and not wanting to settle, things like that.

I have to say i like construction but really for me the challenge is in the painting. I do find that the artistic side is easier than the tech side with paint and getting some paints to actually work has beaten me in the past (MIG)

I always liked the assembly part. Putting the parts together was always a lot of fun to me. The paint work not so much. Though as time has gone along and I have learned a few things that is better and more enjoyable.
Decals though lately have given me a bit of trepidation. Not sure why, unless it is the weird ones I have dealt with on the last several builds. Old and tending to fall apart, Tamiya thick and not wanting to settle, things like that.
I hear you on the decals thing! It’s the one part of modelling I dislike, I’ve had all kinds of issues with decals over the years. The first few may have been the decals fault but after being stung even by aftermarket decals some issues may have been due to my own lack of faith and/or poor confidence in decals causing problems. So much so I rather enjoy making my own masks (really need to buy a die cutter) and painting the markings on. I guess that kind of gets back to enjoying the painting phase eh?
kind of wandering off topic again. Sorry

Some fine points are made by our membership above. It is hard to disagree with many of them.

For me, one important facet is "The Story". Every model tells a story. Where it came from, where it went. Who flew/sailed/drove/built it. What kind of a guy was he? Where did it end up? I love a good story!
It takes less time to read a book and buy the models of the book's subjects than it takes to build the models that help tell the story.

My Parents were both pilots. We used to fly as a family every weekend. Sometime Dad let me fly the airplane.
We flew to Oshkosh in 1971 where I saw my first Spitfire and the Blue Angels flying their shiny, loud, smoky F-4 Phantom II's. It was my Dad that fostered the Airplane Nut in me. I have always been the kid that happily played by himself. I read almost everything I could lay my hands on.
My Mom said I used to wrestle with my German heritage. The German pilots in WWII were the "Good Guys" in the ETO in my own, young mind.
Our own Naval Aviators must have been some of the bravest, most skilled, airplane drivers there ever were.

I build to "vacation my brain". Later on in Life I build to share my appreciation of those Men & Women that sacrifice SO MUCH to provide the Liberty and Freedom all Americans enjoy. This how Sea N' Sky got started. Those people tell me THEIR stories.
Sometimes my imagination runs away with me and I build what might have been, In Another World. Making up a story of what I wish for.
Sometimes I build something I am near sure will make my fellows laugh. "Make a Model, Make a Joke". Inspire a story.

I won't delve into why I Create here. (TLAR Models). That is a truly long ortello! I wanted a model to tell a story no one else makes is the Cliffe Notes version.

I'm trying not to ramble on over much.

A B17 crew had to do 25 missions, the average life of a B17 was 8 missions, there was less that 50% chance of completing 25 missions,

An RAF fighter pilot in the battle of Britain had a life expectancy of 4 weeks and was under 20 years old.

not sure any pilot was more skilled or braver than any other TBH in fact the less skilled the braver they had to be. :notworthy.

Hi John, Your builds here have inspired me in the past, i just wish i could return the favour . stick with it :cool:

I've always liked to tinker. Throw on some tunes and tune out from the world. It also gives me a bit of artistic outlet, despite my lack of creativeness. I've long been fascinated by cars & planes...modelling allows a further scratch of that itch.

Despite not being much of a social person, the hobby in general has given me the opportunity to connect w/ a few great people (both online & in person).

Back