• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What to build next ?

Why build them both of course!!! :smack

Well, I totally agree with that but I can still only build one at a time. :bang head

The second problem is that the wind could easily shift while I build the first one. :frantic

There is a third one in the wings that I am trying to not get too excited about yet :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

HandleyPageHampdenBMkIRAF-side.jpg

415 Squadron, RCAF

James, I had not thought of a Canadian version . The kit did not come with the necessary decals for that one .

Were they used as torpedo bombers or otherwise ?

Cheers, Christian B)

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/aircraft_history.php?Aircraft=76
http://www.415sqn.com/History/history.htm
"The Bristol Beaufort was never used operationally by the Squadron and was quickly replaced by the Handley Page Hampdens in 1942. The Hampdens flew both anti-U-Boat and anti-shipping patrols in the English Channel and the Bay of Biscay. It was on 21 April 1942 that 415 flew its first operational mission being an Air Sea Rescue and on the 29th, flew its first anti-submarine "Musketry" patrol."
So probably Torps and depth charges.
James

I vote for the Hampton, the flying suitcase or tadpole as it was some times called, it suffered from the same issues as the A-20 in that the fuselage was so narrow it was impossible to get between the various crew positions. If the pilot took a hit the crew was doomed. I have a partially completed FM kit that I hope to finish one day. I have a couple of references I can scan if that will help.

I vote for the Hampton, the flying suitcase or tadpole as it was some times called, it suffered from the same issues as the A-20 in that the fuselage was so narrow it was impossible to get between the various crew positions. If the pilot took a hit the crew was doomed. I have a partially completed FM kit that I hope to finish one day. I have a couple of references I can scan if that will help.

That would be nice Garry . I do not actually have a book on the Hampden.

Of course it might be a blessing as it may keep me from trying to over detail it.

I am very surprised at the positive response for the Hampden over the Junker.

Cheers, Christian B)

Go for the unconventional, we've all seen junkers!

:D

Hi Warren . Actually that last Junker picture is not conventional at all .

That entire squadron had really odd paint jobs on their aircraft .

Besides, the JU 188 never came to became a main stream aircraft. It was mixed in with JU 88 units and used for special missions :huh:

Just more thoughts on the matter :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Besides, the JU 188 never came to became a main stream aircraft. It was mixed in with JU 88 units and used for special missions :huh:

Cheers, Christian B)

It is definitely an interesting and unusual paint scheme Chris! I guess I was more referring to what you actually see modeled and built! I've seen a few 188's built but never a Hampden.

Cheers, Christian B)

It is definitely an interesting and unusual paint scheme Chris! I guess I was more referring to what you actually see modeled and built! I've seen a few 188's built but never a Hampden.

I agree with you. Until about two years ago the only kit available was the Airfix version which is no great deal.
The Valom version ( which I have ) is much nicer but will probably more demanding to build than the Junker.

The Hampden is definitely a more of a rarity so I'll build it first.

Cheers, Christian B)

Kewl, may inspire me to drag mine out and finish it. I have the old Airfix kit assembled and stored in a box some where if I can find it I'll post some photos.

Back