• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

What am I doing wrong?

I know some of the best lettering brushes are squirrel hair.

Well, there are places down south in the US where you can shoot the squirrel, eat it, and have the tail for whatever purposes you need!

Regards,

Aha! That explains the shampoo. I don't use shampoo but I do use conditioner! The aforementioned well is usually filled with thinner or water, depending on the paint medium used, on the bottom and the brushes are suspended with the handles up. The one I bought also has a screw top with a carry cord. The screw top preventing spilling. This was actually a precaution against my then young son.

As Bob mentioned, the Russian sables are best. I mentioned Kolinsky, another is the Siberian Squirrel.

Regards,

Saul, I have used Kolinsky for years. Are you serious about the siberian squirrel? I mean seriously? Or are you shuckin' and jivin" us? I never heard of a squirrel brush. :gogo :gogo :gogo :gogo

Bob

Man, I'm with ya Gator, about to throw all my acrylics in the trash...bad, bad night at the bench. I have to strip the figure
I've been working on and start over.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better...

Tom

Kenny, not sure if this will help but have you considered using the good old Humbrol enamel range?

I paint quite a few 1/48th figs for my builds and use them only for this.

DSC_0259x1.jpg

DSC_0267x1.jpg

DSC_0463x1.jpg

DSC_0456x1.jpg

DSC_0113b.jpg

no primer needed and you can ''push'' the paint around allot easier without worrying about it drying too fast.

Brush painting acrylics is a pain at the best of times, but if I do need to use them (rarely! ) with a brush I will use an old Humbrol brand brush, the bristles are very soft, not hard or ''springy' and I have a few drops of Tamiya acrylic thinners in a jar to keep the brush moist when the paint starts to dry.

The Acrylics I use are these which work excellent with Tamiya acrylic thinners

GSI_aqueous_colors_LRG1.jpg

They do need a primer, like all acrylics, again I use Tamiya Fine white rattlecan primer for my aircraft builds

http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/tamiya-surface-primer-white-87044-p-11065.html

I have not had any paint lift or stripping using this and acrylics from masking tape since using this primer.

HTH in some way.

Saul, I have used Kolinsky for years. Are you serious about the siberian squirrel? I mean seriously? Or are you shuckin' and jivin" us? I never heard of a squirrel brush.

Bob,

As Kenny already showed you, I wasn't joking! I had to find replacements for my artist's grade brushes and tried synthetic, horse, camel, but came back to Kolinsky sable. Looking for something cheaper so I won't cry if I gunk them up with acrylics (some of my old Poly-S became rubbery) I tried the squirrel.

One thing no one seems to mention (I guess paint cleaners are better nowadays?) is keeping different sets of brushes for metallics, red, and the rest. Yes, I have a set of brushes only for red paint as I had found it the hardest to clean. Don't ask me why but this is old school talking now. As for metallics, imagine the lovely flakes that resided in my brush going onto a 'fabric' uniform!

Regards,

MP, the hair comes from the tail. You got to do something with it after you make squirrel & dumplings.

Hi Mate

I use enamels and Acrils however i use windsor and newton series 7 brushes expensive yes but bloody hell they are fantastic paint goes where you want it they hold there shape treat them well clean well ,i don't have any issues with clogging with any of the paints mentioned.
Its like buying a good pair of boots you have to pay for the quality,
i feel its like painting windows use a rubbish brush rubbish finish, some of the brushes i see in shops that are quite expensive i would not give bench space, i paint predominantly figs,hope this helps

Cheers Chris :soldier :fencing :snoopy :drinks

Good prices on Series 7 brushes here:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-miniature-brushes/

Tom

Gator,
Have you tried Liquitex Slow-Dri Gel? I have some and messed around with it a little bit. I'll fuss with it some more tonight.

Anyways, here's a link:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-slow-dri-gel-and-fluid-mediums-and-additives/

And no, I don't work for BlickArt... :lol:

Tom

Enamels are not an option. I'm allergic to them.
Throat begins to close up and if I'm exposed too long I get a massive sinus infection.[/quote]
:eek:hmy:
Never would have thought of that.Enamels are great,but if you get these problems with them please stick to acrylics!
Lets have a try at the tricks and hints we gave you then on using acrylics. ;)

Greetings,Ron.

Enamels are not an option. I'm allergic to them.
Throat begins to close up and if I'm exposed too long I get a massive sinus infection.
:eek:hmy:
Never would have thought of that.Enamels are great,but if you get these problems with them please stick to acrylics!
Lets have a try at the tricks and hints we gave you then on using acrylics. ;)

Greetings,Ron.[/quote]
Ron, a lot of it has to do with the fact that I burned my sinuses out with all those decades of working at my Dad's sign shop. In my sign department now We use latex when ever possible. The silk screening still has to be done with enamels. I have a respirator that I wear whenever I go into the screening room to observe or trouble shoot. I switched over from enamel model paint 7 years ago when my son finally came home after 110 days in the NICU after he was born premature. I did it for him not realizing I would benefit too.

Back