• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WALKING TANK-"ALL DONE"UPDATE

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
Rubin has created a monster!! :evil: After seeing his and other walking tanks my imagination has shifted into overdrive. His tank has four legs so I decided that mine would have six. The mechanical designer in me went to work making leg assembly sketches.

DSC03082.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

From there I got on my trusty computer and began to hammer out some of the details like dimensions and such. The computer work has been on the under frame and the hip joint mechanisms.

frame-leg-assembly.jpg

I have been working on the turret for this beast, but I don't want to reveal it to you yet. Lets just say there will be something from the U.S. Army prowling the rubble of 1946 Berlin.

I am really stoked about this project. I have visions of spaced armor and hydrolic lines. I will keep you posted as new pictures are available.

Terry B)

Re:MY WALKING TANK

Thanks Pup! This was done using ProEngineer.

Terry B)

Simply mind blowing ... I just had to sit there and gather my thoughts .

When will you commence with the build?

Welcome to the Alternate Universe

Lost Legionar wrote:
Simply mind blowing ... I just had to sit there and gather my thoughts .

When will you commence with the build?

Welcome to the Alternate Universe

Legionar I will start soon. The frame parts are ready now. This is Rubin's fault I have been making Macross models since 1984, but have been dormant for a long time. Now he has awakened monster.

Terry :evil:

Ruben Lopez wrote:
Hey, nice that you finally decided to join the madness!

Ruben

Ruben a lot of people have thought I've been mad :blink for along time so I am perfectly comfortable in this mad mad world :gogo . This is going to be fun (y)

Terry B)

Re: WALKING TANK-RISE OF THE MACHINE

The designs and sketches are taking form. It's the rise of the machine :evil: . I have started building the under frame and the hip joints.

The parts and materials are assembled.

DSC03084.jpg

Each leg is made up of four main parts that connect to the central hub that when complete will make up the frame that will support the hull.

DSC03085.jpg

Each hip joint will be actuated by two hydraulic cylinders. Each joint will be fully working.

DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

The completed frame leg and joint. Only five more to go.

DSC03090.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

Ok! I couldn't wait the show you the teeth of the beast. Turret is made up of a Verlinden M4A3 turret with M50 IDF Sherman parts added along with welds and wiring. It is not finished still have more small details to add. Almost of this stuff is coming out of my scrap box. I have added spaced armor to the turret to repel those shaped charge rocket use to defend their ruined cities.

DSC03093.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

DSC03095.jpg

DSC03096.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

I am kinda working on this from both ends, but I'll get to the middle soon enough. Stay tuned I'm working on a remote control twin 50 cal mount to protect the soft under belly of the beast.

Thanks for looking and as always comments and questions are welcome.

Terry B)

Re: WALKING TANK-RISE OF THE MACHINE

Superb stuff :) , I have a song worked out for this build ......

In my best Homer Simpson Voice .................

"Spider Tank , spider tank , look out !!!! Here comes the spider tank !!!! "

Jenny :kiss:

Re:WALKING TANK-THE RISE OF THE MACHINE1-26-10

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love it!! Up the wall across the ceiling.

Terry :laugh:

Thanks Laura!

Terry B)

"Spider Tank , spider tank ..."
I can't finish the song, I'm still gasping...
What are you using to make the joints?

We must also be on the same wavelength, with those Walker's underbelly's exposed like that
it's a no brainer to have a remote control twin 50 cal mounted underneath.
I just hope that your system is made by another manufacturer :lol:

Great project. What did you do/use to create the linkage pieces (the white pieces)
I've used a company that 'prints' 3D parts from CAD drawings - www.printapart.com

These remind me of the pieces that come from that.

Lost Legionar wrote:
"Spider Tank , spider tank ..."
I can't finish the song, I'm still gasping...
What are you using to make the joints?

We must also be on the same wavelength, with those Walker's underbelly's exposed like that
it's a no brainer to have a remote control twin 50 cal mounted underneath.
I just hope that your system is made by another manufacturer :lol:

Yeah the spider tank thing just cracked me up :laugh:

I thought the guns under the machine would just look cool and it would fit in with the time because the B-29 bomber had remote control gun turrets.

Terry B)

slodder wrote:
Great project. What did you do/use to create the linkage pieces (the white pieces)
I've used a company that 'prints' 3D parts from CAD drawings - www.printapart.com

These remind me of the pieces that come from that.

My company has a 3D printer that I use to make the parts. i'm not good enough to scratch the parts out myself.

Terry B)

Don't discount 3D printing. Those drawings are as hard as scratching those pieces.

This is looking great Terry.

Is this going to be a group build or what? :hmmm
Ruben (Look what you started)... :ro: (y)
Are you going to open it up to everyone?
(Is there going to be a theme of WW-II era items)?
Axis Vs Allied?
I need more info :idonno

I've got a few idea's rolling around (just what i need is another
project to get started on) :angry: :laugh: ;)

Shawn

Back