• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Valentine FINISHED

I rather like how this came out Paddy. The chipping affect on the sand shields is really interesting...in a good way.
200.gif

Hi bob
the strap is the inside pocket from a pair of Levi's, you now the white bit. Its a really tight and strong weave and when sprayed with various shades of kaki and some brown and whatever before you cut it.. it sort of holds together, it works well as a tarpaulin if you fold the edges over and stick them down to stop fraying.

Nice job, I'm not ready to sacrifice a good pair of levis yet but will keep a look out for some ratty ones. Nice job!

What is the thinking here about tracks. the Valentine had about 50-60 pieces in moulded plastic but i notice the newer M10 i have has rubber band tracks ( both Tamiya) I also see a lot of after market tracks available ?? Personally i thought the valentine tracks were more than adequate but i can see with tanks that have tracks with an exposed top run these and the rubber band type are not going to sit/sag as well.

Both have their good and bad points. With link and length plastic tracks you will get really good details molded into them. Rubber band tracks have come along way in recent years and some of the best are made by Tamiya. Tanks based on the Sherman, and the vast majority of American made tracks, have what are called live tracks. This is because the track pin are set in a rubber bushing that causes the track to curl on themselves, therefor NO track sag. Because of this rubber band tracks are a good option. So I would use a the tracks supplied by Tamiya.

Here is a picture of what live tracks do....
AbramsLiveTrack.jpg

Hope that helped and looking forward to seeing your M10.
:victory:

Wow thats a great picture, the UK tanks used to run with what were called biscuits ;-) these were rubber blocks fitted to the tracks to stop them tearing up the roads. Looks like they solved that with your picture however i wonder how strong they would be compared to forged all metal tracks ?

Is there any apatite for a WIP on the universal (bren) carrier ? It doesnt look like its been done for 7-8 years here and i was thinking of having a go in desert scheme to compliment the valentine. I dont want to bore people with endless repeats of the same thing ?

I say show us all your WIP's Everyone builds their model differently so its nether boring nor the same thing.
:coolio2:

Is there any apatite for a WIP on the universal (bren) carrier ? It doesnt look like its been done for 7-8 years here and i was thinking of having a go in desert scheme to compliment the valentine. I dont want to bore people with endless repeats of the same thing ?
1609337644342.png

Back