• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Valentine FINISHED

That looks really great Paddy! Sure it doesn't have all to subtle shadows and fading affects but that will come in time and practice as you do more.
:vgood:

Looks good paddy. Certainly seems like the Tamiya kit is a bit easier then the Miniart version I am building.
:popcorn

Last edited:
Thanks guys
I have all the base colours on now, time to experiment with weathering. Remember this build is just an experiment of ideas and to see what works and what doesnt. Believe it of not along the way this whole kit had a coat of hairspray........that didn't work at all :) i think i should have used a water based Acrylic for that and not Tamiya ?.
anyway i assembled the tracks on the wheels and left the last link out and that enabled me to get the tracks off to paint the base colours on and then refit them so thats something learned.

DSC_1820.JPG

All my little bloke wanted for Christmas was a turret :)

DSC_1822.JPG

Nice! If you still have the tracks lose so they can be removed, you might consider adding some bare metal effects between the guide teeth (guide horns) and the inner surface where the road wheels roll inside the track. Those areas are constantly polished by the action of the road wheels, the return rollers, the idlers, and the drivers. Dry-brushed metallics or even a silver pencil will work.

FWIW, I generally start painting with the silver now, and then add strips of masking tape where the tires of the road wheels contact the inner track surfaces. I can usually get away after that with just some careful airbrushing of the rust colors. Peel off the tape and then maybe use some silver Rub-n-Buff (metallic colored Carnauba wax... AK now sells their own analog, but Rub-n-Buff has been around since the '70s, at least) and polish a bit with a Q-tip ("ear bud").

In any evert, you've "cracked the code" on how to paint and assemble the suspension. Most other tank models will go pretty much the same with minor variations for small differences in design and desired weathering effects.

Really nice Paddy! What colors did you use for the paint?
I have seen Tamiya paints used with hairspray chipping so in theory it should work. I haven't tried it myself though.

Hi Mike
Its a home made concoction of 6 x Xf59 , 2 x Xf2, 2 x Xf3 all tamiya

Thanks SdA but its already finished and shelved, i did actually do as you said but it doesnt really show on the pictures.

So this turned out to be a speed build :) 5 days all in but it stopped me working over Christmas and kept me sane.
I live on my own and covid restrictions over here mean we are not allowed out so getting into something over the holiday was important and this is the result. Sorry about the smudge on the lens at the base of the barrel and some other shots. Think of it as smoke :)
DSC_1825.JPG

DSC_1824.JPG

DSC_1826.JPG

DSC_1827.JPG

DSC_1828.JPG

DSC_1830.JPG

DSC_1834.JPG

DSC_1835.JPG

DSC_1837.JPG

Thanks for looking in and many thanks for the advice and help with my first tank :)

Pro's ...........I like the MIG paints and weathering options, it would take quite a few builds to try them all and see what works best. The Tamiya kit is high std and quite a new mould.

Con's........I cant really do figures, these are better than my LRDG attempts that went in the bin but not a lot :) Nothing else, a really enjoyable build.

Back