• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Gato

Since this is murky waters for me (no pun intended...)- I'd love to hear input on my weathering...need more be done...ooo-- maybe I ought to do the same on the sail??
08-20-11_002.jpg

08-20-11_003.jpg

08-20-11_004.jpg

Yes the sail would show some rust also, I don't mean '55 ford sitting in a field for 40 years type rust, just little rust trying to take hold while the crew does what they can to fight it off. Rust effects are looking good on the hull! Don't forget algae, oil, fuel, seagulls dive bombing...

I might've overdone the rust and weathering, but nonetheless...still might try to even things out and add a bit more variation to it all...but for now:
4424d166.jpg

000fc1d5.jpg

a3a36522.jpg

9e28188c.jpg

Looking good Mike...but who told you to rust it up like that... :woohoo:

Just kidding...Looks fine, I agree with you about more variation, more rust colors in it and maybe a dry brush of the base color just to break up the rust some. Remember this would be just surface rust.

Here's what I was talking about, first aircraft launch from USS GHWBush

Click for higher resolution

check the rust out on the cat walk and railing, brand new ship right out of Norfork.

May I make a suggestion. I think using a thin wash of burnt umber oil would work better on a ship model to get a more realistic flow-effect. The rust would start wider at the free-flow holes and then taper down to a small tip. But thats just my $.02.

Joe

Back