• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS Gato

Jeeves

Well-- with my SCA contest entries off the bench, I should be able to start the 1/144 Trumpeter beastie now ;) I would really like to try my hand at a USMC Sherman based at Okinawa, but that will have to wait until I get back to work in Sept with a regular paycheck again ;) Here is the obligatory photo-- I used Saul's review of the new model mag as my time stamp since it went up in the last day or so...
6-25-11_025.jpg

I am pleased to honor Dave by being able to go completely out m=of my comfortable niche and try something completely and utterly new for me...so this one is for Dave...and for my Pipi who was a Marine at Iwo Jima and Okinawa...

I've wondered about this kit for a while. I think I'll live vicariously through your build. Chances are though you'll make me want to get one of my own :D
James

Thanks everyone...just got through step 1 for now.

James...it is a nice big kit...that first step has you assembling all the compartments in what is basically a long tube which gets shut inside the hull halves. All that great space gets shut up though. I had a notion to try to do some interior detail work despite that fact, but I have yet to find good interior pics to tell me which compartment is which...

Thanks everyone...just got through step 1 for now.

James...it is a nice big kit...that first step has you assembling all the compartments in what is basically a long tube which gets shut inside the hull halves. All that great space gets shut up though. I had a notion to try to do some interior detail work despite that fact, but I have yet to find good interior pics to tell me which compartment is which...
I know there are some interior sets for the U Boat, dont know about the Gato class. This will be cool no matter what though.
James

Just got back from vacation...haven't gotten back on the wagon yet-- but I did manage to take a pic of my progress...have all the inner hull compartments fitted. There is no interior detail for this one-- and I am think since it will be enclosed in the other half and then again still in the outer hull that any extra detailing I would do would be pretty tucked away, so I might just close it all up as is...still pondering :hmmm :idonno
7-18-11_005.jpg

I've come considerably farther along...have to touch up some masking boo-boos...but other than the many fiddly parts, this one is ready to depart ;)
Models_013.jpg

Also another one that'll be hard to take good pics of!

In the upstairs of the garage, I have two rooms...the "Sheep's Pen" which is my shop...and the room where I have my Biwflex and drum set...I think I'll be putting shelves in that room ...but the Lanc will definitely be hanging from the ceiling!

All the parts are now on! Tried a little rusting near the anchor and such with Mig pigments, but I am not happy with how things turned out...gonna have to wash it up a bit and retry...
08-17-11_001.jpg

08-17-11_003.jpg

08-17-11_005.jpg

HahaHAhah- just excellent! This gives me an idea of what I'm up against. Awesome sub, my friend- cheers!

Thanks guys...it was definitely a different type of build for me...and yeah you're right! I figured 1/144 would be small to work on...can't imagine building the 1/72 one!

All the parts are now on! Tried a little rusting near the anchor and such with Mig pigments, but I am not happy with how things turned out...gonna have to wash it up a bit and retry...
08-17-11_001.jpg

08-17-11_003.jpg

08-17-11_005.jpg

Looking fine Mike, keep after that rust, it would be everywhere. I have a picture my Nephew took from the Island of the USS GW Bush taken during the first landing and takeoff during trials. No other skid marks on the deck. Thing is, you can clearly see rust stains on the railing he's leaning on. This is a brand new ship just out of the docks and already showing rust, you know that sub would have stains all over the place.

Back