• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USMC AH-1Z "Shark Mouth"-Academy-1/35th

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
So for the 10th Anniversary build I figured I would do a milestone subject...My FIRST EVER aircraft!!...:dude

The current plan is to build this about 90% OOtB but I will add just a few simple doodads....and NO Aftermarket PE!!!...other then what comes in the kit. This looks like an exceptionally well engineered kit with awesome crisp moldings. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this bad boy....and yes I plan on doing up the "Shark Mouth" markings!

Here is the Real Deal...
ha4d5ac6.jpg

and the Kit....
hda39ce3.jpg

h8cd8a50.jpg

Thanks for stopping in
:v

Its an awesome kit. Only thing I bought for mine was am decals and fod covers although if I bomb mine up I'll have to forgo them. Looking forward to watching this come together.
James

Eric,
Great subject.
I wish they would down size it to 1/72.
Can't wait to see it completed.
Frank
(y) (y)
Here is my attempt at converting a 1/72 Whiskey into a Zulu.
h86ed871.JPG

Thanks everyone for stopping in. B)

@Frank; Your Weskey-2-Zulu looks great. I don't think my poor eye balls could take working in that scale.

Here is another Pic of 168961. A couple of things pop out that are interesting.

1-Seems to be assigned to a different "Flight" as the insignia on the engine is not the black cross.

2-The load out on this side of the aircraft is different with a fuel pod and a smaller rocket pod compared to the otherside which has the larger rocket pod and the hellfire rack. I know the kit comes with both the small and large rocket pods but I'm not sure about the fuel pod, have to see if I can find one, maybe off a AH-1W.

h5377fc7.jpg

Thanks For Stopping In!

Still hard to believe that airframe is based on that HOG.

The "selfie stick" I'm talking about is in front of the gunners windshield. What would that be?

You think that's a fuel tank or one of those cargo pod things? I saw someone fly into Grand Forks in a T38, opened up a side panel on that tank and take out his A2 bag.

I also notice the US insignia not on the box art, is the insignia in the kit?

I hadn't noticed the missing US insignia on the box art, but it is included on the decal sheet.

As for the "selfie stick" I believe it's a Anemometer and/or Anemoscope. This device will measure air speed and since it swivels up and down I would bet that it also measures the pitch angle of the aircraft as related to the surface of the earth. I would think this same info will be use for calculating firing solutions. Now all this is just a guess as I'm not an excerpt by any means.

I hadn't noticed the missing US insignia on the box art, but it is included on the decal sheet.

As for the "selfie stick" I believe it's a Anemometer and/or Anemoscope. This device will measure air speed and since it swivels up and down I would bet that it also measures the pitch angle of the aircraft as related to the surface of the earth. I would think this same info will be use for calculating firing solutions. Now all this is just a guess as I'm not an excerpt by any means.

Pitot is the airspeed, this would be the AoA, Angle of Attack. I'd be interested to learn why it's installed like that, maybe it's a need to know thing though.

Like I said I was just throwing something against the wall to see what sticks. I couldn't think of "AoA"/Angle of Attack"...I guess I've been out of the business too long now...kinda makes me sad a little.... :(

Anywho...found a aftermarket company that makes 1/35th scale external fuel tanks for AH's....HyperScale Write Up.

Has anyone ever done business with Warners Wings?

Project creep is already starting... :facepalm

Werner's Wings are very well done products for helos. Only thing was my pruchase of their Mi-24 products proved my reference was better than theirs! My OH-6 stuff was closer to accurate than the Hind items.

Regards,

Pitot is the airspeed, this would be the AoA, Angle of Attack. I'd be interested to learn why it's installed like that, maybe it's a need to know thing though.

The item is an ADS. Excerpt from the manual describing its functions:
hddaf4fe.jpg

Most helos also have a separate pitot tube.

Regards,

Back