• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Scale Takom Panther A Early

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys! I didn’t realize we were going to start this one so quick but well here we are. Despite the fact that I currently have 9 different kits in work on the bench, I’m in with the Takom Panther A early.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.34.53 PM.png

I have had this kit on the short list for a while now and am going to get it running for this campaign. Here is the required start up picture.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.34.21 PM.png

I have a ton of aftermarket for Panther tanks, but the primary ones I’m using on this kit will be the Atak Zimmerit and a 3D printed upgrade set from Shapeways. There will likely be more along the way.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.35.34 PM.png

Way back in the 90’s when a much younger and skinnier Mike was building models, I built up the Tamiya Panther A and I placed it into one of my first dioramas. For my skills at the time, it was ok, but I can definitely do better now. I mean honestly, I’m just a better modeler now. No shame in it, we all started somewhere, and I had a bunch of fun growing up building models, so all good. Here are a couple pictures of the original diorama.

left side.JPG

front.JPG

My plan is to use the Takom kit to redo this classic Skinny_Mike build. I’m going to use my 25+ years of new skills and the inspiration from Dr. John’s stellar Panzer III build (Panzer III Build Link) to get this one done. I will not be finishing the interior though, its not going to be seen so I’m not going to let myself get bogged down on it. But I’ll probably build the parts up as I am planning to build a Panther G that is all opened up and the interior detailed, so it will be good practice.

After a year of just really muddling along, my mojo has really been up lately (hence the 9 builds!), and I have been working on a lot of different things, but really haven’t been posting too much. I’ll get you caught up as I get some stuff completed. But for now… here we go on the Panther!

Thanks for looking in and see you all soon.

Mike

Last edited:
Awesome Project Mike!! Looking forward to see this one come together! Isn't great when the Mojo returns...it's like christmans, of a sort!
:victory:

That's a great start Mike! :good:
So how did you attach the zimm sheets?

I tried two different methods. First i puttied in the weld seems so there was a flat surface, then I roughed up the plastic with some course sanding sticks to give something for the glue to bit into (The left side of the turret shows the roughed up plastic). On the right side of the turret I used slow drying CA glue and for the rear plate I used Ammo's ultra glue, which i suspect is just rebranded PVA glue.

Both options worked well, but i had more time to work with the panels using the Ammo Ultra Glue, so I think I am going to stick with that option. Even the slow drawing CA still drys pretty quick. Plus I can clean up the excess Ultra Glue with water which is nice.

Oh yeah - and I am using the Atak Zimmerit in the Daimler Benz pattern. If anyone isn't familiar with Atak Zimmerit, I can probably provide a few more details. Anyway, I'll need to check my references to see if there are any other unique details to the Daimler Benz built Panthers.

Thanks for looking in everyone! Appreciate the comments.

Mike

I tried two different methods. First i puttied in the weld seems so there was a flat surface, then I roughed up the plastic with some course sanding sticks to give something for the glue to bit into (The left side of the turret shows the roughed up plastic). On the right side of the turret I used slow drying CA glue and for the rear plate I used Ammo's ultra glue, which i suspect is just rebranded PVA glue.

Both options worked well, but i had more time to work with the panels using the Ammo Ultra Glue, so I think I am going to stick with that option. Even the slow drawing CA still drys pretty quick. Plus I can clean up the excess Ultra Glue with water which is nice.

Oh yeah - and I am using the Atak Zimmerit in the Daimler Benz pattern. If anyone isn't familiar with Atak Zimmerit, I can probably provide a few more details. Anyway, I'll need to check my references to see if there are any other unique details to the Daimler Benz built Panthers.

Thanks for looking in everyone! Appreciate the comments.

Mike
One method I like for ATAK zim is using the Micro Metal Foil adhesive. Very strong and tacky. Then wicking in super thin crazy glue on the edges. Works very well and wont come off when all dry.
Looking good.
James

First i puttied in the weld seems so there was a flat surface, then I roughed up the plastic with some course sanding sticks to give something for the glue to bit into (The left side of the turret shows the roughed up plastic).
Most glues , with a few exceptions, will work better with 2 smooth surfaces adhering together. The rough surface reduces the usable surface mating area.

Back