• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Universal Carrier FINISHED

Go with it Paddy :soldier
We all know this stuff did get changed around a bit when the need came up.

Yea thanks mike
the problem i have is all the restored versions are different, in post #8 above the switch unit on the bulkhead is wired straight into the bottom left of the radio. much like your diagram, the model above the switch unit is wired in the variometer and the Arial is wired in to the bottom left of radio :)
I have been unable to mount the switch unit where i think it should have been because the bulkhead in the kit is not big enough to take it.
For this reason i am putting the parts where i think they would fit but its not going to be technically correct.

FWIW, I think that if you have the basic over-under configuration of the radio set and power unit right, along with the correct antenna (aerial) bases, you're good to go.

The racks that held the main components were either mounted in the over-under config (as on your model right now) or left-to-right as in most tanks and armored cars. This was, I believe, how the racks were manufactured, so installations with the factory racks are just that way. After that, though, the smaller components could be mounted in different places as long as the connections and standard cables would fit. (And a clever REME fitter with wire cutters and a soldering iron, could change those, too.)

One thing about the Universal Carriers was that really very few were actually equipped with radios. Most were without. However, all of them could be fitted out in the field, so it was probably common for UC's that started off without radios to be later fitted with one as a replacement for a TO&E loss or as an ad-hoc addition to bump up a unit's equipage above authorized levels. With field installed radios the experience and ideas of the users and REME fitters certainly caused some changes to the recommended technical instructions.

As to "restored" carriers, all bets are off. Same with restored radio sets used by enthusiasts today. I must have a couple of dozen photos of restored and functional WS No. 19 sets, and I don't think any two sets are configured exactly the same with regards to mounts and accessory locations and configurations. Wartime factory and depot installations were no doubt very consistent and IAW published instructions, but there were no doubt hundreds of minor field installation variations.

A variometer in a glider tells you if you are going up or down and how fast. Obviously this is a variable voltage regulator? Or what does it do?

Hi John
As far as i know it allows the use of different aerials by altering the Frequency of the signal via a pair of coils... so basically its a pair of rheostats

I have been experimenting with making Green Drab look worn and used

DSC_1877.JPG

i think the answer is the same as aircraft in that there is never just one colour when you really look, the light, angle, reflection etc all add colour to the base colour so thats my "thing i have been trying" on this build.
Funny thing is i just noticed the ejector mark on the bulk head. Its so perfectly round and precise i thought it was part of the intended moulding :)..I will have to hang something over that like a water bottle :)

Dangit I was going to say something about that sink mark back on the other page but figured you would see it and didn't know if it was going to be covered. Lesson learned, don't hold back.
Yeah drape a jacket over it or something. Not like it's not been done before.
Love the colors you have and the weathering. Looks great! :soldier

The effect look good, just keep in mind that OD doesn't really chip but "wares" to a darker OD nearly black color.

Experimenting with base coats to build up a muddy finish, this is just khaki dusted over drab, i will see if its workable

DSC_1880.JPG

Does anybody else think without wheels this looks like the 1940s prototype Thunderbird 4 :)

DSC_1886.JPG
DSC_1888.JPG
DSC_1890.JPG
DSC_1891.JPG
DSC_1892.JPG
DSC_1897.JPG
DSC_1900.JPG
DSC_1903.JPG

so this is my little Bren Gun carrier with radio, a fantastic little kit from Tamiya proving you dont have to spend a lot to have hours of fun.
I think i would have preferred to do it in Desert colours but the object was to try out basic olive drab paintwork. drab is harder to do and harder to photograph IMHO as someone who knows nothing about building armour :)
I dont really like the elastic band tracks, maybe i was spoilt by doing the plastic track on the valentine first.
this is basically OTB but i did add some detail to the radio and a couple of hooks to hang a helmet and rucksack, the tow line is wire because the string supplied looked like string :) I also added leads from the aerial's to the radio
DSC_1909.JPG

Nice job Paddy. I think a light dusting on the undercarriage would really bring the weathering together. Love the work on the radio! :vgood:

Back