• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Long Overdue Makeover

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Awhile ago, I asked the question, "what do you do with completed builds when space is at a premium?' I was admittedly, stuffed into my little model shop. I have too much stash, nowhere to display any finished works and my bench was a damned mess. SO, I took the plunge, gutted the shop and think I have found a better way for the foreseeable future. I did take some before pictures, click the image for a larger photo.

IMG_2095.JPGIMG_2096.JPGIMG_2097.JPGIMG_2094.JPG

This renovation was challenging, finding space for everything while working in a phone booth. This had to get done while the weather was nice enough for all the help, er, cats could be out on the screen porch.
I started with some shelving.
IMG_2098.JPG
I didn't take progress photos, it didn't look like I was actually making progress until I was almost done. Here's a beta version, there's still stuff to hang on the walls and the lower shelves to organize yet. My friend, Greg Tost brought me the Tankcraft cutting mat direct from the Tank Museum in jolly old England, I couldn't stand the thought of using it to build on. It's just too cool, so I am using it under the keyboard.
IMG_2133.JPG
Moving forward, in no particular order.
IMG_2153.JPG
IMG_2154.JPG
IMG_2155.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG
IMG_2157.JPG
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG

The display cabinet was a second hand piece I bought from Greg, the lamp is awesome and the new bench has more than 24" more much needed space. Well, now you know why I've been quiet, but hoping to get in here and take advantage of all the positive waves. Thanks for coming by!
:Drinks:

Dig it! Really like the paint racks. Hope I can get started on mine soon. Still making room in the house to move stuff out. You got me looking at IKEA for display/book shelves in my office to get my finished models out of the shed.

That looks much more inviting, Mike. There must be something in the air, I just spent the last few days reorganizing storage and the R/C part of my workshop. Are you feeling as I do now, "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

Looking really nice Mike! It is always good to do a makeover occasionally. Have been doing a whole house makeover and it has been a bear, :bang head

Wow Awesome Diggs!! That's quite an improvement over the old set up and its nice and tidy!
ZqVTPEs.gif

Thanks guys! It feels good to have a brand new space, the old one was pretty much just adding to a card table in the spare bedroom. I have to admit the before photos were taken after a particularly productive thrash weekend at the bench, it wasn't usually quite as it would seem.
Having more space to put things away should help keeping order, but who knows...

Thanks again for coming by.

Back