• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpy 1/24 Spitfire M k Vb/VI

After Wiping down the model with alcohol prep pads I shot the entire upper side with the new Vallejo gloss black surface primer. Waited a couple of days to shoot the gray and today I used the Tamiya tape for curves, I love that stuff but that's another thread, and this happened when I pulled the tape. A minor setback but a setback none-the-less. I am quite miffed but as far as the tape went I think it did an excellent job.

I am going to take a break and enjoy doing some dishes and maybe make some egg salad.

Looks good ... Paul enjoy your Egg Salad ... The dishes are another story ... Too bad about the tape trouble ... Have you tried that green frog stuff?? ... Very nice laydown on the green ... Looks very good ...

Ah man... Bummer dude!! :bang head Whenever I mask for different colors, I always lay the tape down on the palm of my hand once or twice to make it less sticky & so far I haven't had that problem

What did you use Paul Vallejo primer ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep

I have never used it on such a large surface but it has proven very good for what I do .

Makes me wonder if it's that weird plastic I keep hearing about ?

I still have not find anything that sticks to plastic better than Tamiya primer although MrSurfacer works well too .

You might want to add 30 % Future to the Vallejo. It will stick better.

Just some thought :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

I think it is the gloss stuff that is giving me fits. I'll have to hit the research button. I never have any trouble with their flat primer.

Well I've been having trouble with the paint ... I soaked that yellower/orange Trumpeter Styrene in blue Dawn all night & next day still acrylic primer paint won't stick ... so I went and did the Joe thing ... picked up Dollar general flat white & flat Black ... it works great Haven't tried tape yet ... I'll do that soon ...

So which of the primers did you use? I just picked up their matte black. How much do you thin them? I've never used Vallejo paints before.

I think it is the gloss stuff that is giving me fits. I'll have to hit the research button. I never have any trouble with their flat primer.

Did not know they had a gloss primmer .

Cheers, Christian B)

Found it :

Vallejo Acrylic GLOSS BLACK PRIMER 74.660 Airbrush For Metal Colors Line 200ml

Metal Color Gloss Black Primer 74.660: A water-based acrylic-polyurethane primer, which dries quickly to the touch, and confers a glossy, self leveling base coat of extraordinary resistance. The painting of the model can be continued almost immediately after applying the primer, although when using masking tape, it is recommended to allow the primer to cure for some 12 hours before beginning the masking process.

Personally , I think that the term primer for Vallejo is a misnomer . A more proper term should be surface prep which is not the same.

A primers have been sandable and Vallejo is not . Also, primer are generally not gloss as flat paint provides more adhesion for the next coat.

Vallejo primers are not to be diluted for spraying .

Cheer, Christian B)

Oh man Paul, I feel for you. That was a great looking smooth top coat. I've had that happen more than once to me and it just about makes you cry.

Hope you will find a fix and continue forward, really wanting to see this one done.

So which of the primers did you use? I just picked up their matte black. How much do you thin them? I've never used Vallejo paints before.

The mat Vallejo black, white and gray are good stuff. The one I used on the upper part of the fuse and wings was the gloss. I suppose that it the stuff for their new metallics

Back