• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TRUMPETER KV-1 1942 WIP

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
First build on the new site, so decided to get down in the stash for something different. I recently read an article or two on the Russian KV-1 and was quite interested in building the Trumpeter version I picked up several months ago. The kit was very reasonably priced and I managed to find the Eduard Zoom mesh kit to with, however, I wasn't happy with the deck grilles, so I ordered the Aber kit (still patiently waiting). Click the pix for a larger image.
IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

There's a bit more flash and a few injector marks that require clean up than with a Dragon kit, but the fit has been pretty good and the instructions are pretty clear.

This kit comes with a choice of vinyl tracks or a styrene link and length version, which would you choose?

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

After cleaning up the injector marks, I assembled the lower portion of the starboard side, using Testors Liquid Cement and waiting about 20 minutes.

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

NO HAND MODELS IN THIS THREAD!!!

I then positioned the hull over the track and carefully wrapped the links around the drives, fortunately everything matched up! Quite painless really.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

Although the process wore the cat out.

IMG_1789.jpg

All in all, the right side took about 90 minutes of prep, 20 minutes of waiting and roughly 5 minutes of assembly to get the track done, not counting the photography breaks and the time it took to post up. Hopefully, will get to tackle the port side tomorrow (if the cat's up to it). Thanks for looking, please let me know what you think. Cheers! B)

Re: TRUMPETER KV-1 1942

Nice work. Made it look simple. I still don't understand how you Armor guys can paint a completed build.

Re: TRUMPETER KV-1 1942

Me neither, this is a first attempt at full assembly, then paint. Keeping fingers crossed! May need some luck and full support from the group! Thanks, Bob!

Re:TRUMPETER KV-1 1942

Great Job so far Mike!

Bob Robert wrote:
Nice work. Made it look simple. I still don't understand how you Armor guys can paint a completed build.

It's all smoke and mirrors mate.

Thanks guys! Russian armor intrigues me, it's so ugly, it's cool. More tomorrow.

Mike,

I really enjoy the way you put the tracks together. When it´s possible, I also paint the tracks/road wheels all in place and must tell you that it will be easier than you think, specially the KV wheels since they lack the rubber rim around. In general, I spray the whole model with a base color and hand paint the tracks using Vallejo.

Russian armor intrigues me, it's so ugly, it's cool

You can say that again,brother!

Keep on the good work.

Juliano

Thank you, Juliano, that was the method I intended to use. I'm glad to hear it Is easier than it sounds, I figured there would be a challenge or two. Spent most of today putting up Christmas decorations and cleaning up the garage, just getting to the bench to work on the port side.

Did manage to squeeze in a little bench time, repeated the process from yesterday, with excellent results.

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

Trumpeter's instruction sheet calls for eight single links at the front and nine at the rear, but on both assemblies, I had to make it nine front eight rear to get the top track aligned on the rollers. This link and length method is really simple, more so than Magic Tracks, so far my first Trumpeter kit is a nice experience. Now if my Aber etch kit would just show up! Cat says he's had enough for the day, time for supper. Cheers!

IMG_1806-1-1.jpg

Got great response from my post for help making welds for the turret, so started to make some progress again.

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

The beads are .015 silver solder, super glued to the hull and scribed with a blade. Thanks a TON to all who responded, especially Mr T, whose tip was invaluable! I did also add some copper wire hold down rings on the rear deck.

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

I'll continue welding the rest of the turret tomorrow, have to work this PM. Cheers!

Thank you, Laura! I just got started texturing the first weld, hopefully all will turn out well.

That's some purty-work, mate!

I have the KV-2 version of this kit and want to build it some time in 2010, after I get the T-62 complete and all the other crap I got going.

Man, that is some very clean and pretty work, IM!!!

Oh, forgot to add, cat is cool! Note my "supervisor" in my avatar

Thanks, Colonel! Sorry you missed the meeting tonight, check out the pix in the Socializing section. I did manage to get a little primer on the turret and built a figure to ride along.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

I textured the turret with Mr Surfacer to roughen the cast surfaces and the primer showed up a couple of sections of the "welds" that need some attention. Now if my PE order from Lucky Model would just show up!

Thanks, Plushy! Hopefully, I'll get some more done tomorrow, at a bit of a standstill until the brass arrives from China.

Photo etch set FINALLY arrived yesterday, maybe there will be some progress this weekend. The Aber set looks like it was worth the wait though, can't wait to break it out! Merry Christmas to all!!!! :peace

Lookin good Mike. Yep i've got my eye on all those heavy Russian SPGs too.

I've got a slice of Karo Pecan pie and a glass of eggnog right here in front of me now and Mike your not on the list now so BYE

Tony Lee :)

Adam, thank you, I appreciate the compliment!

Tony, as long as I make the naughty list, all is good, bro! Enjoy the pie!

Talk about Christmas Eve surprises, guess what was on the porch a couple minutes ago!

IMG_1884.jpg

Whoo Hoo! Way to go, Lucky Model!!!!!!!!!!!!! :silly: :silly: :silly:

Back