• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Thinning Gator Glue

TomN

Hi
I've been using Gator Glue lately for PE work, and really liking it. I've thinned it with distilled
water, but want to add something to break the surface tension, so it will flow better. I tried
Liquitex Flow-Aid, which seemed to work, but was just wondering if there are any better things to try.
And does this effect the strength of the glue?

I think I'll try some ISO next...anyone got any secret formulas?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Thinning my glue does weaken the bonding strength of the glue. I personally don't thin it. But, if you have to, Flow-Aid would be a good choice. Stay away from alcohol or anything else that would normally harm acrylic paint.

Kenny

I don't thin. I place smaller drops (or micro drops) and spread it, attach part, wipe excess. Every time I thin, I am not happy with the tackiness or ability to align parts.

Regards,

Thanks guys!

Kenny, thanks for the advice. I get you on the alcohol/acrylic paint combo...bad. I mixed Flow-Aid & Gator Glue
about 50/50 and was able to paint it on smooth, we'll see tomorrow how strong the bond is.

Tom

Back