• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The "Things We Love" Campaign

Chef could build a Gama Goat! Two birds with one stone...

Hmmmm.... I am looking at a P-47 that is begging to be finished... and you guys know, I have little problem starting a kit... I just get bogged down in the details trying to make it as near perfect as I can... and never finish...

Today we finish one! Well, maybe this week!

Interesting exercise going-on in my head about this campaign...

How do I decide what I 'love' - as this is a modelling forum I'll refrain from mentioning things like cold beer, spicy food, NASCAR etc, etc.

Aircraft - My first 'crush' was/is the F-4 Phantom, but in model terms, I find masking the canopy really difficult nowadays in 1:72 and I don't have enough space to display a 1:48 kit (ironically if I built my 1:32 Tamiya Phantom, I would somehow, make the space happen !!). Favourite British aircraft, easy, the Hawker Hunter, the 1:72 RoG kit is beautiful, and I do have 7 of them stashed away, again, the canopy is difficult to mask.

The aircraft kit I've built most, that's easy too - the 1:48 Tamiya P-51. Whilst the Hasegawa edges it in refinement, the engineering of the Tamiya kit is pretty d*mn close to perfect. I've built eight of these and they never disappoint...
...but they aren't my favourite WWII aircraft, the P-47 is !!

Hey.... instead of an aircraft model, I could build a car...
Love muscle cars and NASCAR stockers, how about one of them, I have around fifty kits in the stash, there must be something in there that makes me go.... "yeah, I love this"; maybe that 68 'Vette or that 91 Pontiac with the Rusty Wallace decals.... and that Alitalia Lancia Stratos is (probably) the most beautiful rally car ever built, loved them since I saw a replica at a car show when I was 14.

Y'see, too many questions, too many choices, and NO WAY TO CHOOSE, except maybe on gut-instinct. :gogo - Oh yes I'm really looking forward to this one.

:facepalm

Ian

Chef could build a Gama Goat! Two birds with one stone...

Actually I already have I just need to get off my arse and paint it :cheer:
P1070039_zps8f592a1c.jpg

I will most likely build a Gundam for this - I have my reasons :facepalm

Interesting exercise going-on in my head about this campaign...

How do I decide what I 'love' - as this is a modelling forum I'll refrain from mentioning things like cold beer, spicy food, NASCAR etc, etc.

Aircraft - My first 'crush' was/is the F-4 Phantom, but in model terms, I find masking the canopy really difficult nowadays in 1:72 and I don't have enough space to display a 1:48 kit (ironically if I built my 1:32 Tamiya Phantom, I would somehow, make the space happen !!). Favourite British aircraft, easy, the Hawker Hunter, the 1:72 RoG kit is beautiful, and I do have 7 of them stashed away, again, the canopy is difficult to mask.

The aircraft kit I've built most, that's easy too - the 1:48 Tamiya P-51. Whilst the Hasegawa edges it in refinement, the engineering of the Tamiya kit is pretty d*mn close to perfect. I've built eight of these and they never disappoint...
...but they aren't my favourite WWII aircraft, the P-47 is !!

Hey.... instead of an aircraft model, I could build a car...
Love muscle cars and NASCAR stockers, how about one of them, I have around fifty kits in the stash, there must be something in there that makes me go.... "yeah, I love this"; maybe that 68 'Vette or that 91 Pontiac with the Rusty Wallace decals.... and that Alitalia Lancia Stratos is (probably) the most beautiful rally car ever built, loved them since I saw a replica at a car show when I was 14.

Y'see, too many questions, too many choices, and NO WAY TO CHOOSE, except maybe on gut-instinct. :gogo - Oh yes I'm really looking forward to this one.

:facepalm

Ian
So 1/32 Phantom :evil:

Would this GB include a model company? I love Classic Airframes kits so would any kit they produced be eligible?

I had a great idea for a campaign! The Things We Love. Idea would be to build a kit of your favorite subject, what ever it is. If you favorite subject is the Bf-109, build that or build a sherman tank if that's your favorite subject. The beauty is there are no limits here, the campaign would be literally open to any subject, car, boat, airplane, armor, figures, sci-fi, whatever! The only catch is that as part of your kick-off post there needs to be an explanation of why your subject is your favorite.

This would be a great way to build a subject that we are all excited about, and we'll learn something about our fellow peers!

What do we think, if there's some intrest, I'll add the poll.

Mike

Hi everyone! We are getting close to may and the start of the things we love campaign! :yipee

I just wanted to remind everyone that as part of the start up post, you need to explain why what your building is your favorite subject matter. Hope everyone's got something cool picked out, I know I do!

Skinny Mike

Over the last couple of days I've been thinking very hard on this one, and I've come to a decision - I'll be building the Hasegawa 1:48 Phantom FG1, and here's a wee back-story to explain:

In 1978 I was fifteen, heavily in to Punk and New Wave music, revising madly for the most important exams in my life and desperately trying and failing to get a girlfriend.

When I wasn’t doing those things I was playing football (US = Soccer) and building models. I’d met a couple of ‘like minded’ souls at school and a couple of years previously, one of them had somehow indoctrinated me with a love of an aircraft I’d never seen.

The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.

On Saturday 8th July my affair with this fantastic warplane was consummated at the Speke Air Rally 1978 – It’s true you really do always remember ‘Your First Time’.

This is the actual aircraft I saw that rainy Saturday afternoon:

hbf74cfc.jpg

XV577/M of 43 Squadron then based at RAF Leuchars in Scotland (next door to St. Andrews Golf Course). And the reason I remember this event so clearly is this: There was a ‘Guess the height & speed’ competition, announced on the pretty lousy PA system, all you had to do win (something) was guess how high and how fast the Phantom was going, simple, and it was going to be the event that closed the show (no Red Arrows that year).

At the old Liverpool Airport the main runway 26/08 ran very close to the viewing balcony, and because it was so wet at the end of the afternoon, I was able to squeeze my way to the front and thus had a truly amazing view, my first experience of a Phantom blasting-off in full reheat (US = Afterburner). As she roared, howled and crackled down 26 I firmly believed that my chest was about to implode, I couldn’t breathe, I laughed like a six-year-old, I think some pee may have come-out but I simply didn’t care.

That wasn’t the end of it though. Through the dreadful tannoy, as the Phantom turned gently, smokily left the announcer suggested that we would need to cover our ears as the pass was going to be VERY loud, and also that we were there at our own risk !!. Nobody could see the plane now as it disappeared in to the total grey nimbus, but everyone could hear it crossing the river and southward toward Frodsham, then we couldn’t hear anything except the rain. Not certain how much time past before the announcer excitedly announced that

“Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls, the Phantom is making his run from the left now…”

I still don’t know why, but instead of looking left and upward like everybody else, I looked left and down. I saw the whole thing in ‘slow time’. The bright red-orange collision beacon winking on the fin, the contrails streaming from the wingtips, but at first no smoke (at the time I didn’t understand that engines on reheat didn’t smoke), then suddenly a huge plume of black-brown ‘soot’ and then it was here, right here in front of me, seemingly scraping its belly along the apron… not the runway, the bl**dy apron, just a hundred or so metres in front of me and low, so very low, and it was completely silent…

…and then it wasn’t silent at all. All the sound and fury of the take-off was nothing, insignificant to what followed as this ‘destroyer of worlds’ screamed through. Babies and some adults cried, some where speechless, most were swearing and some, like me, were hysterically laughing in complete, absolute, total joy !!

And (God & health permitting), I will never, never forget it.

Ian.

Great story Ian...I remember well a couple years back at an airshow in Geneseo...there was a F-16 Falcon flying around and I figured my son would love it...first few passes-- were just so cool- and then that same announcement about the afterburner and the noise. I thought how bad can it be...but luckily had the good sense to tell Luke to cover up as he's always been sensitive to loud noises. I can't begin to describe how loud that was...but I had those same giddy laughs and tears...and there were some choice words ;)

That being said though...my choice for this build is the SBD-6 Dauntless. While not my favorite variant, I have already build the -1 through the -5 in the family and only have one more Accurate Miniatures kit plus the Hasagawa Banshee to build...

As to my choice-- I have always been enamoured with this bird-- it wasn't the best nor fastest choice for the Navy-- but it was such a big part of nearly every major naval engagement of the war-- starting obviously with Coral Sea and Midway-- and carrying through for most of the island hopping- Guadalcanal, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz. And like every lover of the Slow But Deadly- I have a deep-seated dislike of its initially inadequate replacement- the Helldiver. Just the very fact that this one plane-- in a group nearly past its range, lost, and nearly out of hope-- is able to find a sole ship that leads it back to the four major carriers in Japan's fleet...and with the sacrifice of loads of slow Devastators bringing the fighter cover down low-- is able to dive down nearly unopposed and break the back of Japan's offensive force...a blow it never really recovered from. We were surely on the ropes...and it was a huge risk that Nimitz took- but in doing so at Midway, it gave us the fighting chance we needed to come back and give Japan the fight we needed to give to start winning the war.

OK guys, what's up with this. You can build anything you want here and earn a Campaign ribbon. Let's get to it! :smack

I stand guilty also.... :facepalm

Back