• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Veteran's Day 2020

Barney

I retired 13 years ago from the USAF. It was a bittersweet day. Years of service, travel, joy, and abject horror. For my friends across several ponds: Joy to you! Your young men and women should be honored as ours used to be.

Lots of lip service today. Who knows what the future will bring.

August 2007

John Lennon once said, “Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.” I certainly did not plan to enter the military. I planned to be a schoolteacher. Still, I enlisted in 1975 to earn the money to finish college. Who would have thought 32 years later, I would still be serving?
No one finds success on their own. We need the goodwill of others to reach our full potential. There is not enough time for me to thank everyone who has helped me. But let me mention a few...
Mom: You loved me, cried with me, laughed with me, and when I went to the war you prayed for me.
My children: Thomas, Megan, and Bronwynn: You bore the brunt of my career decisions. I missed so many important days in your lives. I am deeply sorry. You are my joy and my heart.
My sister Mary: Thank you for showing me what not to do. As a child, I watched you get in trouble and steered clear of those actions.
My commanders and supervisors: You let me, be me; this was not an easy thing. You trusted me to do the job you gave me. Thank you all. My dearest Carol: You are the calm in my storm of a life. When I marched off you kept me sane and safe with your love. I can never thank you enough.
For whatever reason, we have all answered a call to higher service that General Douglas MacArthur calls Duty, Honor, Country.
“Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying points: to build courage when courage seems to fail; to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith; to create hope when hope becomes forlorn.”
This call causes us to put aside our personal wants and desires. Hearing this call we offer our sacrifices for the greater good of the whole. For my entire adult life I answered this call unwaveringly. I have been deployed to war zones and places of natural disaster, often with only a day’s notice. I have lost friends, comrades, civilian jobs and ruined
relationships. If you asked my ex-wives they would say that I loved the military above all others. I left my family and my home on too many occasions to answer this call. I sacrificed time with my children and family in the service my country.
I have had great adventures, been places no one I grew up with could dream of, seen the sun rise on countries that no longer exist and watched it set on governments that never should have existed.
For many years I was uncertain why I wanted to stay in the military. There were many reasons, but nothing that defined the desire. One day I read a plaque at RAF Mildenhall. It said: “When you go Home, and they ask of US say: For YOUR tomorrow, We gave OUR todays” Then, I knew why.
For over 200 years, Americans have offered their todays for others tomorrows. From Valley Forge to Falluja, New Orleans to Normandy. At places like Inchon, The Frozen Chosen, Tarawa, The Bulge, Tripoli, Gettysburg, Cold Harbor and a thousand more; we have kept the flame of freedom burning.
Today, in a world gone mad with ethno-nationalism, racism, and religious zealots, we continue to offer our todays for other’s tomorrows.
Americans live in a country of great opportunity. We have rights and freedoms unseen in other countries of the world. Without the sacrifice of our fighting men and women, we would not enjoy many of the privileges we take for granted.
In the dark days of 1970’s, Americans had a very poor opinion of the military. We were reviled and seen as a worthless institution, filled with less-than-bright individuals who couldn’t survive in the civilian world. Still, we served. We stood long watches at duty stations from the Arctic to the south Pacific. We served. We were there when we were needed. We served and sacrificed.
Today we are engaged in a war that may have no end. Terrorism spreads across the globe and few places are as safe as they were in my youth. We serve to keep safe what is safe. We serve so that others may form governments that reflect their culture and ideals.
As I enter into retirement, I will well remember the people I have had the pleasure to serve with. I will remember the places and missions. I will remember, recall it all and marvel that I did this.
In my twilight years, I will hear the roar of jets, the bark of rifles outside the wire. In the distance, I will hear a lone drummer beating that tattoo of Duty, Honor, Country. I will count the gains and losses and be proud to say: I served.
So my friends, in the future, when someone asks of me say: For their tomorrows, I gladly gave my todays.
God bless you all, Farewell

Well said sir :salute:
Thank you all for your service.

shamelessly copied.
1605051175126.png

1605051398277.png

Well spoken, Sir.
I believe all that enjoy the blessings of Liberty should be mindful of those that sacrifice to provide such, more than one day a year. The Right Reverend Rhino will uncharacteristically NOT preach from the pulpit of the "Church of What's Happening Now" at this time. God Bless.

Remembrance Day (Armistice Day pre-WW2) north of the border.

The Act of Remembrance​

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
We will remember them.

From One Veteran to all the others, I Thank You!
While today they are honored here in the United States I would like to remind everyone to not forget ALL Veteran's around the world who severed there counties with honor and bravery defending those who can not defend themselves and the values that they believe in.

1605097787548.png

Let's not forget our four legged Veterans who also served...give them a hug and a stake dinner.
1605098610224.png

Thanks to all who have , are and will serve. While Remembrance day is harder this year take a moment to thank all those who have come before, who never made it home, and all those in the hell holes of the world protecting Freedom.

James

Last edited:
I feel a bit left out. Due to Tourrette's, I was never able to serve. Having spent a lifetime listening to the stories and experiences of all who served, I feel a hole inside for not having the chance to make such a positive difference in people's lives as all you veterans have done.

Those same stories and experiences make me even more thankful to all you veterans for all your service. I feel honored that you would call me friend.

Tourette's Syndrome? I have two Brothers-in-Law that served in USMC. You should sample the things that they say out loud! Holly Bukkits!! I have heard CMCPO Douglas (The Chief) cuss a young USN CVG-11 rating for 15 minutes for leaving FOD/tools near a jet and not repeat a swear word I have heard before, ONCE and make up new combinations along the way, without taking a breath!! Hangar deck doors bowed OUT! The Man could DISCIPLINE!! The airwing DCAG went the other way. Many of us urgently found someplace else to be. You missed your calling!
Fast forward 2/3rd's of a lifetime. The Chief invited me to join his Legion Hall Squadron as a Charter Member. An undeserved honor to be sure.
I will do my level best not to irritate him!

I feel a bit left out. Due to Tourrette's, I was never able to serve. Having spent a lifetime listening to the stories and experiences of all who served, I feel a hole inside for not having the chance to make such a positive difference in people's lives as all you veterans have done.

Those same stories and experiences make me even more thankful to all you veterans for all your service. I feel honored that you would call me friend.
You make a difference in my life, Mark. Don't sell yourself short. Those who can't serve in the military serve other ways by exercising your constitutional rights. Support f4rom home and a hand shake does go far in some of our worlds. Thank you for being a friend.

Tourette's Syndrome? I have two Brothers-in-Law that served in USMC. You should sample the things that they say out loud! Holly Bukkits!! I have heard CMCPO Douglas (The Chief) cuss a young USN CVG-11 rating for 15 minutes for leaving FOD/tools near a jet and not repeat a swear word I have heard before, ONCE and make up new combinations along the way, without taking a breath!! Hangar deck doors bowed OUT! The Man could DISCIPLINE!! The airwing DCAG went the other way. Many of us urgently found someplace else to be. You missed your calling!
Fast forward 2/3rd's of a lifetime. The Chief invited me to join his Legion Hall Squadron as a Charter Member. An undeserved honor to be sure.
I will do my level best not to irritate him!
We black shoe sailors have all experienced the wrath of Neptune's messenger one time or the other. I won't account for the times I have.

"They also serve who only stand and wait."
John Milton "On His Blindness"

There is an awfully long shaft needed to support the pointy end of the spear.

Rich

Wow, thanks guys! Rhino, my Tourette's isn't manifested by swear words. Mine is excessive movement, especially when excited or agitated. It only goes away in my sleep or when I get extremely angry. That rated me 4-F in all services.

Paul, I thank you for the very kind words. I'm glad I'm able to make a positive difference for someone. I still remember fondly the visit we had at your place.

Rich, thank you as well. I think I'd rather be the shaft than get the shaft! Your words also mean a lot to me as well my friend. Thank you all and thank you once again to all of you for your service.

Back