• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Hun - F-100 Super Sabre (Revell 1/72) *FINISHED*

helios

A simple little side project to aid in clearing the 1/72 bits out of the stash. The plan is to build this one largely OOB, wheels up, and mounted on a simple stand. Leaning towards the French markings...but not set in stone. I need to look through my decal bin and make sure I don't have some AM ones that I can use (I don't think I do).

It will be juggled around the current OV-1B & A-4G builds I've got going at the moment, so progress will likely be pretty slow...especially since I'm still working a maintenance outage at the plant right now (60-70hrs/wk, nights).

The unloaded box.

A quick fit check of the main fuselage components.

Anyways, expect more snail's pace building. :lol:

Last edited:
Hi Chris

Nice model of a beautiful aircraft.
The magazine weathering aircraft from Ammo of Mig published an article a while ago about the chipping on an old turkish F-100. It was amazing. Perhaps you could look at it for additional info, if you would like.

Cheers

Alex

1620381753379.png

That weathering is insane. Definitely beyond my abilities (for now) and more importantly, more time consuming than I want to sink into this.

The sharkmouth.....:hmm: Something to think about. Since I'm not typically one to get all hung up on 100% accuracy, maybe I'll layout some tape and sketch some maskings if I find the time (could be good practice). I was just planning the NMF scheme out of the box for a quick n' easy, but who knows now. No promises. :coolio2:

Nothing photo worthy yet, but I did do a little sub-assembling of cockpit components in preparation for paint while watching the V8 Supercar races yesterday morning. Also dug out a resin pilot I picked up at some point last year.

I did find one thing I will be modifying though...going to get some tubing (plastic or brass...whichever I can hopefully find locally) to extend the tailpipe a bit. The kit piece is extremely shallow...that's not going to cut it, especially if that is how I end up suspending it in flight.

The Hun is a great looking aircraft. I saw them as Thunderbirds as a kid back in the 50's and they would buzz the field at Cu Chi. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Back from the ashes. Going to get this guy caught up to the F-16s, then we can have a primer/paint party with the pair of F-16s, F-100, Mustang (in primer, awaiting pre-shade & paint) and the OV-1 (in primer & preshade, awaiting paint).

Made some good headway yesterday. Gear doors are they are being fitting in the up position to mount on a stand inflight, but due to the fit I'm getting bogged down a little bit. I'm using one of the pilots from the Diana twins, which has been "adapted" to fit the cockpit.

Cockpit reinforcements added. I'm never 100% comfortable with just glue on 1 cockpit side edge...

Not much will be seen of the cockpit, especially once the pilot is fitted, so I didn't go too crazy on detailing. Just basic coloring and drybrush to bring out molded details.

Where I left off last night before calling it a night. There is a small step on the lower rear fuselage that I'll need to sort out, and a sliver gap around part of the intake on the nose. For the most part though things have fit up pretty well. Panel lines even lined up left to right using the alignment pins. The gear doors on the wings were too thick, so I decided it will actually be less work to cut new ones from sheet using the original doors as templates.

My first attempt at doing "burnt" metal. I probably could've gone a bit more aggressive with it, but I didn't want to overdo it in the first go. I think it'll work fine for a base for now, as I'm going to play with some other weathering methods in addition to this. It's pretty much a guinea pig. :blink

Back