• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Cargo Hauler: Heller C-118 Liftmaster

Kudos, Mark! This kit as a really bad reputation. :bang head It looks like She deserves it!! :stinker Well Done! :salute

Thanks guys! Rhino, it is a Heller kit after all. I did the DC-6 earlier, so I know even more what I'm getting into.

Mike, I still have a few blemishes to deal with but things are looking up.

Okay, just to show I'm still working on this, here's my latest update. I'm beginning to feel like I might not get done with this campaign, seeing as how long it's taking me to even get a decent coat on this. Oh well. I really did want that badge too.....

I was looking over my C-118 and found even more flaws that needed filling and sanding. So, I scraped and sanded some areas but the cockpit here:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XIX.jpg

All four engines needed some work as well, so I filled, sanded and buffed all these to see if I could get them smooth enough for another coat of metallic:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XVIII.jpg

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XX.jpg

I'll need to wait till I get more metallic paint before I can move on this further.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking in. Comments are welcome.

Looks like a labor of love. I've built 2 of the Connie birds by Heller, so stock up on the sandpaper. Gary S.

Thanks guys! Bob, I really need a lot of that. Centaur, I have two Heller Connies in the stash. I'm guessing this will be great practice for them. Thanks again guys!

When I first saw this, I thought it was the Minicraft C-54 and wondered if they were related but this is definitelly a c-118.

I actually worked on a couple so many years ago > Not that I recall much of anything besides the sound of those engines and the swoosh of those huge props.

Thanks guys! Bob, I really need a lot of that. Centaur, I have two Heller Connies in the stash. I'm guessing this will be great practice for them. Thanks again guys!

In that case I hope one of you will be able to build Columbine :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

In that case I hope one of you will be able to build Columbine :coolio

Cheers, Christian B)

I would love to, and will if that is one of the decal options on the one.

Also, I have a C-54 in the stash in 1/72 scale. I might start that next year, if possible. Right now, I just have to finish this one.

This is posted elsewhere too, but I'm adding it to this since it was submitted here. It's just a very small update which took far longer than it did to mention it.

After hours and hours of additional sanding, I finally managed to get an acceptably smooth metallic coat on this C-118. I even shot a clear gloss coat over it to protect it now. I can finally move on with this and add the white on top:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXI.jpg

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXII.jpg

Okay, that's it. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get more done on this model. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Here's another short update showing the last five to six hours of work.

I masked off the C-118 Cargo plane so I could start the white flowing:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXIII.jpg

Next, I got some Wal-Mart 96-cent can of white and shot it over the top of this model. This is the first coat; I think I'll be adding a few more coats. It's a little hard to see in this pic, but I assure you it is there:

WIP_CargoHaulersCampaign_XXIV.jpg

The white came out grainy; probably because I was trying to 'mist' it on and shot from a bit too far away. I'll polish it down before adding further coats.

That's all for now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get further along on this yet again. Until then, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Back