• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Aircraft in Progress '11: Updated 12/28

Re: The Duke's Aircraft in Progress 2011: Updated 11/3

Thanks Hubert! I'm slowly getting it done. It's been tough given the fact that the interior cargo bay floor was very warped. I did manage to get it together. Now to sand and paint, and hopefully get it fully built. I'll be putting German Air Force markings on this, as I'm building it as a straight cargo plane. The French one is an ECM/EW aircraft, and I just didn't want to deal with all the tiny antennas that sprout all over this plane on that configuration.

Krypto, thanks. I've finished that model some time ago; way back in the beginning of October. I even placed Third in Helicopters at Orangecon with it. The threads for it should still be around.

Good morning everyone!

I haven't been able to do too much lately on anything, but I did manage to get enough progress done to justify pics.

I'll start with the Mi-4. It has a chin compartment that holds a machinegun. The front is glass, obviously so the gunner can see. Well, I lost the clear part that goes over the front of it so I tried scratchbuilding one. here is the results:

WIP_Mi_4_I%7E0.JPG

Later on, I'll try test-fitting to see where I need to shape the upper part of that clear piece to make it fit.

Now on to my big projects. I'm referring to my Heller 1/72 scale Transall, my MPC /72 scale C-130A and m,y Roden 1/72 scale An-12 Cub transport aircraft. I can't wait to get these finished and get these big boxes out of my Hobby Room!

I got the C-160 Transall sitting on it's wheels now. I also added some Mr. Surfacer 500 to all the seams that needed it in preparation for sanding:

WIP_Transall_III.JPG

That was the only flat space in my hobby room where I could place that and I had to create that flat space!

Next, I closed up my C-130 A to test and see if I have enough weight in the nose to keep it standing right. Here it is taped up before my test:

WIP_C_130A_I.JPG

An dafter that, I also taped up and tested my AN-12 Cub I started some time ago as well. Everything is just dry-fit together here:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_I.JPG

Moving along, I managed to finally get the rear fuselage/tail assembly completed:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_II.JPG

All that's needed are the horizontal control surfaces. Here's a shot of the underside:

WIIP_An_12_Cub_III.JPG

Well, that's all I have to show for now. Monday is Hobby Day and I should be able to get alot more progress done to show off. Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Duke, just signed up here at MA and haven't seen your work for awhile. Good to see that your factory is still churning out the builds. It's always interesting to see what's on your bench.

Thanks Dave! Man, you've missed alot if you haven't seen my work for awhile! Hmm, maybe I can get a new Thread going at the end of the year to show everything I've built this year. Thanks for stopping in, and thanks again for the great comment. I hope to see your work soon too.

Welcome to the Alliance!

That AN12 looks to be an interesting model. What colour scheme will it be.

That AN12 looks to be an interesting model. What colour scheme will it be.

Thanks Dave! So far the instructions only give one color scheme: light sea grey. That's probably what it'll be.

More pics forthcoming...

As promised, the forthcoming pics.

Wow, Monday was a very productive day! It's great having a Hobby Day to go to once a week! :yipee

I'll start out with my latest progress on my aircraft.

This is the Mi-4. It is all assembled and I even got a partial basecoat on it:

WIP_Mi_4_V.JPG

Next, I'll show you a couple pics of the interior of my An-12 Cub before I close it up:

WIP_An_12_Cub_IV.JPG

This is the cockpit:

WIP_An_12_Cub_V.JPG

And here is the Cub all buttoned up. The fuselage is all cemented together; the wings and tail surfaces are just dry fit on:

WIP_An_12_Cub_VI.JPG

All it needs is a little sanding and then I can add the wings, tail, clear parts and undercarriage and this will then be ready for paint!

I've also gotten a lot of work done on some of my armor projects, so those who are interested can stop in to my Thread on Ground Power and see what I've gotten done alongside all this.

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

This has been a good, productive weekend. I did a little work on Sunday, and then took everything to Hobby Day to work on it some more.

At home, I worked some more on my C-130A cockpit; finishing the painting. You can see this is a much less detailed cockpit than in later molds of this aircraft:

WIP_C_130A_II.JPG

Next thing I did was to close everything up inside the fuselage. The tail section was pretty warped, and I thing I had too much weight in the nose to close it all the way, but I still got it together quite well:

WIP_C_130A_III.JPG

Later, I took it to St. Crispin's Hobby Day. I got the landing gear all assembled and installed, added the last canopy piece and built the wings and propellers. Here it is all set up with the wings dry-fit to the fuselage:

WIP_C_130A_IV.JPG

This is now ready for paint after some sanding and detail cleanup.

Since I'd gotten my Herc up to the painting stage, I figured I'd do the same for my An-12 Cub. I installed the landing gear and added the clear parts to the nose and tail. When I went to add the main canopy/windscreen, it was nowhere to be found. I hate that! If I'm not losing decals, I'm losing the stinkin' clear parts! :pinch: :bang head

Oh well, I'm going to keep building this and finishing it until there's nothing left to do but add the canopy all the while hoping I can get one from Roden.

Here it is finally sitting on it's landing gear. I still need to add some weight to the nose since the nose gear is floating so maybe it's a good thing I haven't added the main canopy:

WIP_An_12_Cub_VII.JPG

Just for kicks, here's both of these planes sitting side by side.

WIP_Transports_I.JPG

Now I have all three of my transports all ready for paint. Time to break out the airbrush....

I'll also be airbrushing a couple of my armor models I've been working on as well. Feel free to stop by Ground Power to see my latest work there too.

Well, that's about all I have to show for now. I have a few days before Thanksgiving that are completely free, so I may get even more done this week. I'll keep you posted so stay tuned....

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are always welcome!

Re: The Duke's Aircraft in Progress '11: Updated 11/22

The only problem with that C130 is that is not an Gunship :yipee . Keep it up I wish I was able to produce em at your speed :popcorn

The only problem with that C130 is that is not an Gunship :yipee . Keep it up I wish I was able to produce em at your speed :popcorn

Thanks Dave! St. Crispin's Mondays really helps!

As for gunships, I've built them both. I already have an AC 130H and an AC 130U hanging on the ceiling next to my ancient AC-47 I built at 8 years old, and my AC 119 Stinger.

Okay, this will probably be the last update showing the progress on the models I'm working on this year. Many of these will most likely be finished in the next few days.

Now that the armored train is finished, I'm going to try and get a few stalled projects finished. I've also started a few 'quick' models in order to 'cleanse the pallet' so to speak.

I'll start with two aircraft models I started. These are two BAe Hawks I found in the stash while cleaning one day. I figured these would be some quick little builds that would be different enough.

This first one is the Air defense variant. It is the Italeri 1/72 scale model kit. Here is the cockpit:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_I.JPG

Another shot showing the instrument panels. I hand painted those:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_II.JPG

My apologies for the poor pics. I guess my macro didn't focus too well there.

Here it is all assembled and ready for paint:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_III.JPG

Then I painted it. The upper grey color was apparently no good as I couldn't get a smooth coat on it. So, I sanded it down as much as I could in preparation for a new attempt with another grey. I also had added most of the landing gear and other detail parts. It's sitting propped up because one of the landing gear was broken:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_ADV_IV.JPG

Next is my other BAe Hawk, this one is the 1/72 scale Fujimi strike bird. Not much cockpit to show, so I forgot to take pics of it. Here it is with fuselage and wings assembled:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_I.JPG

NOTE: I started this one before the Italeri one. Because of poor instructions on the Fujimi kit, I made a construction error here. It becomes more noticeable when you see this next pic where I fixed it after I'd painted the camo pattern on it:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_II.JPG

Here it is later when I'd repainted the error and added all the landing gear, landing gear doors and underwing stores. She's ready for decals now:

WIP_BAe_Hawk_Strike_III.JPG

Finally, two of the stalled projects I started some time ago and never posted.

First off is the ancient MPC Profile Series kit of the P-61 Black Widow. I've always wanted to build one of every one of the old MPC Profile Series models. This one however, is quite the dog. Here it is all assembled so far. I have it propped up because one of the landing gear broke here too. Also, the booms are all crooked compared to the rest of the plane. Looks like I'll have to break this one up in order to fix it:

WIP_P_61_Black_Widow_I.JPG

And finally, a model that is going together much better. This is the Italeri Night Hawk that is right now ready for paint:

WIP_Night_Hawk_I.JPG

Well, that completes my final Works in Progress Post for 2011. Any more pics will be posted next year. Some of these will most likely be done, along with some others not shown on this latest post. You'll see them later in my 2011 Year in Review Thread.

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Back