• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Aircraft in Progress '11: Updated 12/28

Duke Maddog

Okay, since I can't make one thread showing everything in one place, here is my Maddog Manufacturing Thread showing all the aircraft I'm working on.

These are the models I'm currently working on for this year. This one is a model I picked up at the Nationals in Phoenix. This is the R100 airship I started some time back. Getting the lower part of the mooring building done was tough since there were so many gaps I needed to fill in hard-to-sand areas. I managed to finally get it done well enough to move on. Here's the mooring building next to the airship with a nice view of my disorganized workbench behind:

WIP_R100_II.jpg

This one is the Heller Hawker Tempest in 1/72 scale. This is after the first day's work on it:

WIP_Tempest_I.jpg

Next, I've been working on the Zvesda 1/72 scale Kamov Hokum Ka50W that I got from the Distressed Kit Auction at my IPMS club in December. This is the rear half of the fuselage. The front half wasn't completed until I got the cockpit painted.

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_I.jpg

This next model is a 1/72 scale SC3 Seaplane that was also featured in the "Porco Rosso" movie as flown by Porco's challenger. this is when I got the floats assembled and some of the parts on the fuselage.

WIP_SO3_floatplane_I.jpg

Next is a model of the Airfix 1/72 scale British Buccaneer I started some time ago as well. This pic shows the fuselage all together:

WIP_Buccaneer_I.jpg

Later, after sanding and adding extra surfacer and more sanding, I added the tail and wings:

WIP_Buccaneer_II.jpg

In these pics, you can see I got the cockpit assembled and added to the main fuselage of the Hokum:

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_II.jpg

Meanwhile, my little floatplane was almost all assembled:

WIP_SO3_floatplane_II.jpg

And here is the little floatplane shot with blue:

WIP_SO3_floatplane_III.jpg

After awhile, I started a couple more aircraft models. This first one is an old YOV 10A Bronco that a friend bought for me. This is now all ready for paint after I mask the clear parts:

WIP_YOV_10_Bronco_I.jpg

Next is a model I was sold by a friend who got it as a gift. This is my Italeri 1/72 scale C-130 Hercules. This one I will be making British so I can use the US decals for the US C-130 I built some time ago and lost the decals for. Here was the cockpit all assembled:

WIP_British_C130_I.jpg

This is the fuselage taped together. I had the windows installed in it alreadyand the inside painted:

WIP_British_C130_II.jpg

Here are the wings for this big guy. All they need is the propellers. They'll be one of the last things to go on:

WIP_British_C130_III.jpg

Going back to some earlier projects, I was able to get them all ready for paint.

My Heller 1/72 scale Hawker Tempest, ready for paint:

WIP_Tempest_II.JPG

My 1/72 scale Zvezda Kamov Hokum Ka-50W, ready for paint:

WIP_Kamov_Ka50_W_III.JPG

Some time later, I started a a model I am doing for a Group Build on the HLI Forums. This is the 1/72 scale Matchbox Privateer that was chosen for me from the other members of the "In My Stash" Group Build. I got the cockpit assembled and painted in this pic:

WIP_Privateer_I.JPG

Next I did a lot of painting and assembly of many parts that were molded in two parts; like wings, horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizer, etc. here are those sprues showing what I got done.

WIP_Privateer_II.JPG

In that pic you can even see the crew I painted which I will be adding to this model. Here's the rest I'd gotten done at that time:

WIP_Privateer_III.JPG

WIP_Privateer_IV.JPG

Back to my little SC3 float plane again, here it is all complete and ready for decals. The propeller will go on after all that is done:

WIP_SO3_floatplane_IV.JPG

Later on, I got more progress done on the Privateer. Here's the turrets all completed, and the pilots added to the cockpit:

WIP_Privateer_V.JPG

Here's the two waist blisters completed:

WIP_Privateer_VI.JPG

And here are the blisters added to the fuselage halves:

WIP_Privateer_VII.JPG

Later, I went back to my YOV 10 Bronco again. Here it is finally sporting a three-tone camo pattern. Next comes clearcoat and decals, and then finish it off:

WIP_YOV_10_Bronco_II.JPG

And eventually, I managed to get my C-130 fuselage assembled. There's going to be a few spots that need filler and sanding, but it is now together. Here it is with the main wings test-fit into place:

WIP_British_C130_IV.JPG

Okay, as of today, that is all the current Aircraft projects I've been working on this year. I'll continue to post more aircraft updates to this Thread so stay tuned to see my latest progress as it gets posted.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking everyone, comments are welcome always.

Re: The Duke's Aircraft in Progress for 2011

Wow... no one can accuse you of not liking a bit of variety in your choice of subjects... :woohoo:

That's true. I do love building different things. Keeps me from getting burned out! LOL!

I don't think your busy enough! Variety is the spice of life :dude

Tom

Nice work. I have to ask though. Arent you worried about ripping off the guns on the Privateers blisters? Man but I'd be having all kinds of trouble. Then again I seem to have all kinds of trouble anyways.
James

Tom, you're right. I gotta get a couple more projects going.

James, yes, the thought had crossed my mind. Unfortunately, the way the blisters are assembled; I have no choice but to build them this way. They have already broken, thanks to this model taking a dive off my workbench. I'm waiting for new parts from a someone so right now that Privateer is on the back burner. Right now; I'm trying to get two C-130's done instead.

Thanks for the great comments guys!

Well everyone, here is a quick update on what I got done at St. Crispin's Monday Hobby Day.

I did manage to finish one plane, so feel free to go to the Aircraft Forum to check it out.

Meanwhile, here is the progress I made on more of my aircraft....

I got all the paint on the Tempest. A little touch-up and she's ready for clearcoat and decals. The next shot of this you'll most likely see in the finished Aircraft Forum:

WIP_Tempest_III.JPG

next, I got all the wheels (except one) on this C-130. It is missing one nose wheel as well as three propeller hub assemblies I'm going to keep going and get it painted, then decaled and finished off except for those last pieces and then when they get found, I'll be able to call it done. I swear I'm having the worst time finishing these two stupid C-130's!!!

WIP_British_C_130_VJPG.jpg

Okay, I decided to go ahead and start a new plane. This is another civilian plane I got in a raffle; the Areo Subaru. fast and easy to assemble; here it is after about 40 minutes of work:

WIP_Areo_Subaru_I.JPG

That's all my progress on my aircraft so far.

I also got some progress done on my Armor at the same time. Feel free to check it out as well.

Okay, that's all I have for now in the Aircraft Factory. Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.

Thank you Moon Puppy. I'm going to have more done later I hope.

Well, it was a good weekend production-wise. I got some progress done on three aircraft. I also started four new armor models while finishing two others to bring my total up to 561 armor models finished.

The first aircraft I got progress done on was the British C-130 which was basically masked off in preparation for the basecoat. No pics of that; there really ain't much to see.

On the other hand, I got the Buccaneer masked, painted and then camo'd. Here are those pics...

Base coat:

WIP_Buccaneer_III.JPG

Camo pattern:

WIP_Buccaneer_IV.JPG

Next, I went to put the decals on my Bronco and once again, the main landing gear broke for the fourteenth time! That's it! I placed this little pain upside down and proceeded to cut a few pieces of copper wire. I threaded and wrapped them around and then placed them beside the landing gear parts and CA glued them all together. Here is how they look now:

WIP_YOV_10_Bronco_III.JPG

I'll paint silver over these and call them done. They'll look like crap, but by God they'll hold this plane up without breaking again!!

Here it is standing on it's new legs waiting for decals:

WIP_YOV_10_Bronco_IV.JPG

That's all my aircraft for now. Maybe soon I'll get a couple of these done. We'll see.

Meanwhile, feel free to check out my progress on my most recent armor models, as well as check out my latest completed armor. Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Well everyone, here is a quick update on what I got done at St. Crispin's Monday Hobby Day.

I did manage to finish one plane, so feel free to go to the Aircraft Forum to check it out.

Meanwhile, here is the progress I made on more of my aircraft....

I got all the paint on the Tempest. A little touch-up and she's ready for clearcoat and decals. The next shot of this you'll most likely see in the finished Aircraft Forum:

WIP_Tempest_III.JPG

Next, I got all the wheels (except one) on this C-130. It is missing one nose wheel as well as three propeller hub assemblies I'm going to keep going and get it painted, then decaled and finished off except for those last pieces and then when they get found, I'll be able to call it done. I swear I'm having the worst time finishing these two stupid C-130's!!!

WIP_British_C_130_VJPG.jpg

Okay, I decided to go ahead and start a new plane. This is another civilian plane I got in a raffle; the Areo Subaru. fast and easy to assemble; here it is after about 40 minutes of work:

WIP_Areo_Subaru_I.JPG

That's all my progress on my aircraft so far.

I also got some progress done on my Armor at the same time. Feel free to check it out as well.

Okay, that's all I have for now in the Aircraft Factory. Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.

Here's my latest progress on my aircraft so far.

This is my Areo Subaru. I got the nose on and added some filler for the small seam I had to fill. The windows and windscreen are already masked in preparation for paint.

WIP_Areo_Subaru_II.JPG

Here is my British C-130 with the basecoat on it:

WIP_British_C130_V.JPG

This is my Buccaneer all ready for decals. The next pic you see of this will be completed.

WIP_Buccaneer_V.JPG

That's all for now. Thanks all for looking in and comments are welcome.

Hey the Duke is keeping busy! Looking forward to seeing the C-130 finished.

Tom

Thanks Tom. When this gets done, you'll see two finished. I have another waiting for decals, which I'll use from this British C-130's decal sheet. Hopefully this week!

Here it is the day after my fun at St. Crispin's Monday Hobby Day. I got a lot done yesterday and here is the pics showing my latest progress.

I was able to finally get the decals on both of my C-130 aircraft. The decals may not be absolutely accurate on the US C-130, but they were the only ones I had since the original kit decals went missing three years ago. Here is the British one:

WIP_British_C130_VI.JPG

And now the US one:

WIP_C130H_XIII.JPG

When you next see these two, they'll be in the Completed Aircraft Forums.

After getting all that done, I decided to start two Russian helicopters for the Red Star Rising Group Build here on these Forums. These are two Russian kits I got that have horrid instructions, (I'll need to post pics of them!) but are otherwise good little kits. This first one is the Russian Mi-6, (I got to get the code names for these!) It is fully assembled and ready for the landing gear after I get it sanded and smoothed out. There is no interior to this model, so I spray painted the interior black. Some of the grey on the outside is the overspray from that:

WIP_Mi6_I.JPG

This next one is the Russian Mi-10, their version of our CH-54 Skycrane. Again, no interior, or so I thought, but then I found it. Once you see pics of the instruction sheet, you'll know why I didn't realize there was one! Anyway, you see a lot more overspray from my painting the interior black on this one:

WIP_Mi10_I.JPG

Both of these models come with civilian registry decals, but I'm going to be making them military birds using spare decals from my decals box.

I got a bit of progress done on several armor models as well. Feel free to go to the Armor Forums to check them out there. Thanks all for looking ion, comments are welcome.

Hello everyone! I'm sorry I'm so late, but it's been a tough couple weeks. Anyway, here is my aircraft progress to show.

I have one fixed-wing aircraft and three helicopters going.

This is a quick little model I got for $5.00 at my IPMS meeting. It's the Pioneer 1/72 scale Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor. I did all this in an hour at St. Crispin's:

WIP_C45_Expeditor_I.JPG

Even the windows are masked for the first coat of paint.

And now on to my helicopters. This first one is my MPC 1/72 scale German Puma I started some time back. Just got a coat of paint on her a week ago:

WIP_German_Puma_I.JPG

Next is the Mi-10 Hook. I've got it almost completely assembled; all that's left is the crane operator's booth below the cockpit. Otherwise, this bird is finished. It was a real bear trying to figure out the way those landing gear struts were supposed to go!

WIP_Mi10_Hook_II.JPG

The Mi-6 Harke was much easier. I got the landing gear on it and then proceeded to give it the first basecoat:

WIP_Mi6_Harke_III.JPG

You can see the X-acto blade there for size reference. This puppy is a real horse! Biggest helicopter I ever build. I can't wait to get an Mi-26 Halo!

And that completes my list of aircraft models in progress so far. I also have quite a bit of progress on my armor models to show as well. Feel free to stop over to see my Thread in the Ground Power Forums to check it out.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Wow, I guess everyone is out of town or out of time for surfing. Either that or I'm not doing too well here.

More photos coming...

Well, in the event that anyone is actually following this Thread, here's my latest progress on a couple of the aircraft I've been working on. These are my two Russian helicopters I'm doing for the Red Star Rising Campaign. I have them both camouflaged now. All that's left is to detail paint them and then decal them up. Time to dig into my decal stash...

The Mi-6 Harke:

WIP_Mi6_Harke_IV.JPG

The Mi-10 Hook:

WIP_Mi10_Hook_III.JPG

Hopefully these will be done very soon; maybe even by the end of the week. I have several other aircraft in the works as well.

Thanks to those who looked in, comments are welcome.

Back